PDA

View Full Version : rust stains from windshield wipers

sito
02-03-2019, 12:49 PM
I raised the windshield wipers prior to a blizzard but the rust water dripped on the hood.

how do I removed rusted stain on white paint?

SWETM
02-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Try an iron remover.

sito
02-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Is it possible to rust proofing the wipers arms?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

SWETM
02-04-2019, 03:51 PM
Is it possible to rust proofing the wipers arms?

I would take off the wiper arms and clean them up good. You can use a iron remover to get the rust off and then wipe it down with a paint prep or ipa or a panel wipe product. Then I would use a self etching primer to stop the corrosion. Then a paint and a matte black paint would look nice to paint it. Mask the assemble holes and any other material that is not metall or painted first. You can use a matte base/clearcoat to get it more durable. The benefit is the self etching primer that you don't need to be sanding before and you can build up a smooth surface if you don't have a too uneven surface. This stops the rust and you don't get the bubbles comeing from the corrosion. But first look at what a new set of wiper arms cost. It's maybe not worth the effort to restore them. Some LSP has corrosion inhibitors in them. This is if you are fine with the looks as they are now.

Wurth Self Etch Primer, self etching primer, metal primer paint, primer spray paint (https://www.autogeek.net/wurth-self-etch-primer.html)

sito
02-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the advice. I never knew it is possible to do it

SWETM
02-05-2019, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the advice. I never knew it is possible to do it

Just to remember that I think most wiper arms is powder coating now days. So if you don't get all of the loose powder coating away you may see some cracks down the road. And if you are in an environment where you use much of the washer fluid. That the paint you painting with would be great at resisting solvents like ipa and ethanol. As most washer fluid addetives is based on those. And there is my knowledge too little of which type of paint would work or not. But a touch up spray can for vehicals should work I think with a matte black paint. The matte is so you don't get any glare from them. And if they are well hidden by the hood you can go with a semi-gloss black paint.

If I would have lived in the US I would send you a sample of a wax that has corrosion inhibitors in it. That works great when you have some bare metalls and stone chips. Last around 4-6 months and has an awesome filling ability like a glaze has.

If you want to know what it is just shoot a PM.