PDA

View Full Version : Is GSM on microfiber important for rinseless wash?

duffthebluff
02-01-2019, 08:52 AM
Hello guys,

I just started doing rinseless wash using ONR and I'm loving it (using GD method)! Is there a sweet spot for the GSM grade of microfiber to avoid having swirls? I currently have 350 GSM towels and a few 500 GSM towels, since 350 is cheaper, would this be fine for rinseless washing?

Eldorado2k
02-01-2019, 09:07 AM
I do my waterless washing with Costco Kirklands which are 350gsm and they work perfectly fine for me. I think the most important thing is to have a nice lsp on your paint in order to ensure smooth and easy removal of surface dirt when washing.

I don’t always do rinseless, but when I do, I use 350gsm towels. Heavy towels are just that, heavy.

Cruzscarwash
02-01-2019, 12:26 PM
ive always wondered what the GSM was on the Costco and sams club towels were, ive never seen it

bfielder32087
02-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Hello guys,

I just started doing rinseless wash using ONR and I'm loving it (using GD method)! Is there a sweet spot for the GSM grade of microfiber to avoid having swirls? I currently have 350 GSM towels and a few 500 GSM towels, since 350 is cheaper, would this be fine for rinseless washing?I love the Autofiber double flip rinseless towels for when doing a rinseless wash. Can't recall the GSM off the top of my head.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

BillyJack
02-02-2019, 02:15 PM
I use either the Meguiar's or Blackfire MF mitt for the majority of my rinseless washes, but also use these:Edgeless Microfiber Quick Detail Towel (https://www.autogeek.net/quick-detail-towel.html)
They're equally plush on both sides, so you get to use all 8 sides when doing the Gary Dean Method and relatively inexpensive @ 6 for $14.99 for a 400 GSM towel.
They have also become my favorite for waterless washes and QD work, as they're very absorbent, working better in those roles than more expensive towels I own.

Bill

FUNX650
02-02-2019, 03:51 PM
I consider all of the below MF-towels
characteristics, including their GSM, to
be important for not only RWs, but for
many other facets of detailing as well.

{Of course: Y(&Os)MMV.}

TO WIT:

•The MF-Towels that I use for RWs consist
of having piles (P) that range from short (SP)
to medium (MP); their GSMs will range from
~300 (SP) to ~450 (MP).

•Additionally:
(Except for “Waffle-Weave” MF-towels...)
-The MF-Towels I purchase to use on
vehicles are made of/from “split fibers”;
-and, are woven in a looped-weave manner.

Bob

Coatingsarecrack
02-03-2019, 05:30 AM
I use like 5-7 micro fiber chenille mitts. One for hood and trunk. One for front and rear (bumpers) and 2 each for sides normally. I just rotate mitt slightly after one to two passes to not use same dirty contact point on mitt. Just not a fan of using towels over mitts as they are designed for washing your car and I feel they do a better job of keeping irritants off of the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calendyr
02-03-2019, 05:44 AM
You will want to use towels with long nap. This allows dirt to imbed itself in the towel instead of straying on the surface, reducing the chance it will drag across the paint.

I use Kirklands microfiber towels for rinseless and they work well, just use the side with long nap.

spazzz
02-03-2019, 11:20 AM
I use the Costco yellows on my wheels and tires.
I would say they are more 300 or below GSM unless Eldo you actually saw the 350 somewhere.
Either way they are flimsy.

I have 350 korean edgeless and Eagle 480-500? gsm korean edgeless and the heavier one is a more stout solution for holding your juice.

The 350 has a tendency to fold over on itself where the 500 holds its squareness.
I switched to the 350 thinking they were going to be better after someones suggestion. They are not bad, but definitely not better.

Anything will work but the Eagle 500 is the best.

Matt (OG) said using a 350 short nap towel for removal and application of sealants and sprays being the sweet spot. NOT for me.
My daughter cringed when I said we were using them for Sonax BSD on her car. One swipe and she was looking for the standard Eagle edgeless.

The Guz
02-04-2019, 03:06 AM
I use the Costco yellows on my wheels and tires.
I would say they are more 300 or below GSM unless Eldo you actually saw the 350 somewhere.
Either way they are flimsy.

I have 350 korean edgeless and Eagle 480-500? gsm korean edgeless and the heavier one is a more stout solution for holding your juice.

The 350 has a tendency to fold over on itself where the 500 holds its squareness.
I switched to the 350 thinking they were going to be better after someones suggestion. They are not bad, but definitely not better.

Anything will work but the Eagle 500 is the best.

Matt (OG) said using a 350 short nap towel for removal and application of sealants and sprays being the sweet spot. NOT for me.
My daughter cringed when I said we were using them for Sonax BSD on her car. One swipe and she was looking for the standard Eagle edgeless.

I will be more than happy to take those 350 edgeless towels as donations lol.

IslaTurbine
02-04-2019, 03:13 PM
I too am switching from Eagle Edgeless 500's down to 350's. The 500's feel a bit too heavy when they are soaked so I'm hoping the 350's will offer a lighter feel and thus an easier glide for rinseless washing with ONR.

Calendyr
02-04-2019, 06:30 PM
For those of you wondering if using microfiber towels is safe for ONR.... remember that Optimum recommends using a sponge to wash with it... sponges are the worst possible wash media, so a microfiber towel in comparisson would be 10 times safer.

Coatingsarecrack
02-04-2019, 06:36 PM
For those of you wondering if using microfiber towels is safe for ONR.... remember that Optimum recommends using a sponge to wash with it... sponges are the worst possible wash media, so a microfiber towel in comparisson would be 10 times safer.

But the big red sponges has grooves cut in it to pick up the grunge ([emoji58]). Plus it’s big! And red!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
02-04-2019, 06:46 PM
I like to use lower GSM towels when doing RW's and the GD method because they're already soaked with product whereas when doing WW I only use 500 GSM because I prefer the cushion. Good luck to you and your business down there OP, stay cool!