PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend a Wax over Sealant for me. Or Not?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

shineocd
01-30-2019, 01:30 PM
2017 Corvette Torch Red.

Plan,

Wash
Clay (If Needed)
Polish M205 or Sonax Perfect Finish
Prep with IPA or Gyeon Prep
Seal with Jescar Power Lock ( Wait 24 Hours) then,

Wax with Carnauba? OR?
Any comments suggestions welcome.

Bruno Soares
01-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Collinite 845 is a popular topper for Jescar PowerLock+

Jerry0
01-30-2019, 03:35 PM
Personally, I love the look of a good carnuba over sealant. I like Pinnacle Liquid Souveran.

Desertnate
01-30-2019, 03:48 PM
When you say a "wax" over sealant, do you mean a paste wax of some sort or a spray wax?

I would suggest a spray wax you can apply after each wash to keep things really glossy. If you're going to seal with Powerlock, I'd say go with a nice carnuaba based spray wax. The carnauba will look amazing on red.

FUNX650
01-30-2019, 04:10 PM
•IMO:
-Whether it’s going to be a Daily Driver;
or, a Garage Queen...either top-it with
another coat of the Sealant (to ensure
“total coverage”); or, leave it alone.

•Also:
-There’s no need to “prep” with IPA, or
the Gyeon Prep, prior to applying a Sealant.
-That would be working backwards, IMHO.

{Save the “prep” step for Coatings’ applications.}

Bob

shineocd
01-30-2019, 04:12 PM
When you say a "wax" over sealant, do you mean a paste wax of some sort or a spray wax?

I would suggest a spray wax you can apply after each wash to keep things really glossy. If you're going to seal with Powerlock, I'd say go with a nice carnuaba based spray wax. The carnauba will look amazing on red.

I was leaning paste/liquid carnauba wax then maintain with my spray wax. I use either Megs synthetic X-Press spray wax or I use Griots Best of Show Detailer spray wax. What Carnauba would look amazing? Paste or liquid? What carnauba spray wax do you suggest? Thank you.

Desertnate
01-30-2019, 04:54 PM
My comments were more from a recomended workflow standpoint and clarification in hopes of someone else jumping in with product suggestions. For a very long time, I simply used a sealant for the protection and a spray wax/sealant like Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax as a post wash wipe-down to spruce up the shine. Moving into coatings has taken me even farther from the wax experience.

I've spoken to people with amazing looking red cars over time and it always seemed a carnauba wax was the common denominator, but don't recall any one product standing being mentioned more often.

shineocd
01-30-2019, 05:13 PM
It is not a daily driver. I thought a prep is necessary for proper Sealant adhesion? I know for coating it is for sure. Thanks for the tip.

custmsprty
01-30-2019, 05:26 PM
Like Bob said, no ipa or other prep is necessary. If it's a garage queen I'd go for something really nice in the nuba family.

This doesn't get much attention but it is awesome on red paint. I have used it on a few red cars in the past.

Dodo Juice Hard Candy Hard Wax, hard carnauba car wax, dodojuice wax, hard candy wax, dodo waxes, pink car wax (https://www.autogeek.net/hard-carnauba-wax.html)

986DTM
01-30-2019, 05:33 PM
To be completely honest, your car will look great no matter what wax/sealant you use, assuming the paint underneath is corrected. I'd say 99% of your car's final appearance is determined by what your paint looks like before you put your wax or sealant on. You'll get more gloss and shine during the polishing step than anywhere else!!

Personally I find carnaubas attract a lot of dust, so I tend to avoid them.

shineocd
01-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Applied by hand or can I use the DA with a soft finishing pad? I can say you introduced me to a wax I never new existed. I'm speaking to the Dodo.

custmsprty
01-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Applied by hand or can I use the DA with a soft finishing pad? I can say you introduced me to a wax I never new existed. I'm speaking to the Dodo.

I apply all my waxes and sealants by machine. I use my Rupes Mini with a 3.5 inch pad so I can get into the smaller spaces, it generally takes me about 20 minutes to do a medium sized vehicle. The benefit of the machine is you get a nice thin even coverage and you don't use a lot of product. I use a mini butter spatula to "butter" the pad when using nubas. You can do this on 5" pad or large etc. too.

I have all the Dodo Dodo waxes, they are high quality and excellent products.

Here's an example using a sealant.

shineocd
01-30-2019, 06:04 PM
I apply all my waxes and sealants by machine. I use my Rupes Mini with a 3.5 inch pad so I can get into the smaller spaces, it generally takes me about 20 minutes to do a medium sized vehicle. The benefit of the machine is you get a nice thin even coverage and you don't use a lot of product. I use a mini butter spatula to "butter" the pad when using nubas. You can do this on 5" pad or large etc. too.

I have all the Dodo Dodo waxes, they are high quality and excellent products.

Here's an example using a sealant.

Looks great. Really shines. I also usually use my 3 inch pads for waxing as well.

DBAILEY
01-30-2019, 06:06 PM
Powerlock always looked really good on reds. Fuzion is a good looking wax for reds. The spray wax is really good. It always makes colors more vibrant to my eyes.

custmsprty
01-30-2019, 06:10 PM
Looks great. Really shines. I also usually use my 3 inch pads for waxing as well.

That's Polish Angel Viking Coat.