PDA

View Full Version : Can it truly be “ swirl free”

Trevine
01-29-2019, 09:42 PM
So I am working on my first black car. Washed, Clay bar, Rupes LHRmkii with first step rupes yellow followed by rupes diamond white. When I look at it with the fluorescent shop lights overhead, it looks great. However, upon inspection looking very close with a super bright light right next to the paint, I see very faint “swirl” lines. Once coated with CQuartz, I wouldn’t say they totally disappear but darn close. Is this normal and I am just anal Andy as my friends say or should one expect the last polish step to be truly “swirl free” even up close? If you shouldn’t see any, even faint, lines after the final polish, what are some suggestions to get there?

WaxMaster1
01-29-2019, 09:58 PM
My guess is the swirls weren't gone when you went to the white pads. Therefore, after the yellow, swirls were probably still there. You should have gone to the green to remove them and then move on to yellow as a final step.

The test spot (if you performed one) should have revealed the steps you should have taken.

If you post pics, that would help us forumites out too.

rlmccarty2000
01-29-2019, 10:13 PM
Yes you can get it swirl free.

What make model and year car are you working on?

IMHO soft paints are more difficult to get swirl free. In order to help we need more information.

custmsprty
01-29-2019, 10:49 PM
If you have to get that close with a light yes, I'll agree with your friends.

FUNX650
01-30-2019, 12:25 AM
IMO:
It’s quite possible to achieve a state of
‘truly swirl free’...with the following caveats:

-To avail oneself of today’s modern (nano)
abrasive technology, pads, buffers, etc.;
-Having the necessary training/experience to
use those supplies/tools in a “corrective-manner”;
-Be given enough time to accomplish the desired
correction (truly swirl free).

Let’s, for argument sake, say that you have
accomplished the ‘truly swirl free’ feat. Are
Congratulations! in order? Of course they are!

•But a few questions now arise:
-How long will this truly swirl free state last?
-Has the total expected lifetime of the
top coat film (most often the ClearCoat)
been unduly compromised from chasing
perfection?
-(Unless this is perhaps a “Show Car”)...
Was it really worth all the time and effort?

Bob

Trevine
01-30-2019, 05:40 AM
Yes you can get it swirl free.

What make model and year car are you working on?

IMHO soft paints are more difficult to get swirl free. In order to help we need more information.

Thanks it’s a 1990 GM black truck.

Desertnate
01-30-2019, 08:43 AM
I think it is possible to be swirl free over the majority of a vehicle. On my black car I have a few random, deeper marks which remain, but the vehicle is swirl free after polishing. I'm the original owner who's always taken very good care of the paint, so it's much easier to get a good finish.

If you have to get that close with a light yes, I'll agree with your friends.

Agree. Unless you're entering your truck in a show where the judges will being looking that closely at your paint, I wouldn't worry about it. I know my car will look great when I finish polishing, but it is a daily driver and it will slowly get a few blemishes over time. I just work to keep it looking its best and not be too dissapointed when it isn't perfect.