PDA

View Full Version : 1990 GM Black Paint - Advice needed

Trevine
01-28-2019, 08:43 PM
I am working on my first older car. It is a 1990 GM black truck. Overall, the paint is pretty good but I need some advice. I am using a Rupes LHR RO polisher and the Rupes polish, foam system. I did a test panel and was able to get most of the swirls out once I finally got down to the Blue foam and coarse polish. I started light and worked down thinking I would stop when all were gone. However, there were still a few stray areas so I decided to go one step further and used the Rupes Fine Microfiber pad with the white Ultra diamond polish followed by a white foam pad with the ultra diamond polish.. At first glance in the shop lights it looked really good. However, upon closer inspection with a bright light, I can still see some very fine swirl marks. The marks are not random and are very uniform so I know they are from the process somewhere.

Before I go any further, what does everyone suggest:

1) Different combination of pads/polish/

or

2) Different step and process all together

In either case, can you expand on the pad/polish combo and/or process you might suggest either from this point or starting over.

Thanks

DBAILEY
01-29-2019, 02:38 PM
That dreaded blue Rupe's pad most likely. It has scoured paints on me before.

Trevine
01-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Yep. I hit it with a yellow and its fine. Thanks for the help.

mc2hill
02-07-2019, 10:37 AM
Something to be mindful of with older black paint is creating crow's feet. After polishing my 2000 black Frontier several times the paint under the clear coat has begun cracking. The clear coat surface it very smooth, but looks like it is cracked. I noticed on another older black Dodge I was helping with too.

DBAILEY
02-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Nissan Black paint just does that. I've had 2 black ones. My current one is a 2001 (got it in 2015) and it had the crows feet before I ever polished anything. My previous truck had it really bad before I started getting into polishing.

dlc95
02-07-2019, 11:12 PM
Yep. I hit it with a yellow and its fine. Thanks for the help.

The yellow is a nice polish, and it can clean up anything either blue or green might leave behind.

I've used it a lot with Rupes original yellow microfiber pads for "one step" polishing processes. Cut, and finishes great on most paints.