PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally got clay under vinyl stripes. How to remove?

JFunnyman
01-28-2019, 10:22 AM
So I coated my car yesterday evening and because I didn’t have a whole lot of light when I was finishing up I got a bit of clay underneath the side of one of the stripes.. I tried to remove it by gently running my fingernail down the stripe but couldn’t get much out. How do I go about removing the rest of the clay? Any tips?

DBAILEY
01-28-2019, 11:35 AM
toothpick?

JFunnyman
01-28-2019, 11:45 AM
toothpick?

That was my first thought. Didn’t know if anyone else had a better solution, toothpick will definitely work though.

osiapstndp
01-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Which clay did you use?

I used the Mother's yellow clay a few years ago and it would always leave behind little bits of itself on the edge of vinyl stripes. What worked really well for me was to use the Pinnacle green clay on the affected edge - it will pull up the tiny bits of remaining clay and at the same time, if used gently, will not shear off on the vinyl.

If you want to try this just use a tiny bit of the Pinnacle clay (or any other very soft clay). Think the size of your pinky fingernail. Then, with a good amount of lubricant, gently rub over the area repeatedly until the errant bits are removed.

JFunnyman
01-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Which clay did you use?

I used the Mother's yellow clay a few years ago and it would always leave behind little bits of itself on the edge of vinyl stripes. What worked really well for me was to use the Pinnacle green clay on the affected edge - it will pull up the tiny bits of remaining clay and at the same time, if used gently, will not shear off on the vinyl.

If you want to try this just use a tiny bit of the Pinnacle clay (or any other very soft clay). Think the size of your pinky fingernail. Then, with a good amount of lubricant, gently rub over the area repeatedly until the errant bits are removed.

I used the Megs clay that comes with their clay kit, I’m sure that’s at least a medium clay.

hooked
01-28-2019, 08:49 PM
Soft bristled toothbrush or detailing brush with gentle scrubbing?

JKDesign
01-29-2019, 08:02 AM
Toothpick and a detail spray/clay lube should do the trick

Sleper
01-29-2019, 08:34 AM
Toothpick and a detail spray/clay lube should do the trick

I agree with lots of lube so you do not marr

Desertnate
01-29-2019, 08:41 AM
Is the clay under the stripe like the title of your thread, or simply built up along the edge of the stripes? If it is actually under, I'd be afraid this would start to loosen the stripes and digging it out with a toothpick, even if you're very gentle, would cause them to loosen even more and could bubble or peel in the future. If it's simply built up along the edges, I'd agree with the toothpick approach.

JFunnyman
01-29-2019, 11:24 AM
Is the clay under the stripe like the title of your thread, or simply built up along the edge of the stripes? If it is actually under, I'd be afraid this would start to loosen the stripes and digging it out with a toothpick, even if you're very gentle, would cause them to loosen even more and could bubble or peel in the future. If it's simply built up along the edges, I'd agree with the toothpick approach.

Built up on the edges would be a better description than under. The stripes haven’t lifted up on the sides or anything like that. Sounds like toothpick and detail spray is the way to go.

A-train
01-29-2019, 06:24 PM
Do you have a steamer?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

DBAILEY
01-29-2019, 06:58 PM
You could also try to pull it off by applying a piece of masking tape over the clay spot and then pulling it off. Worth a try.

LSNAutoDetailing
01-29-2019, 07:03 PM
When I had a partial PPF on my Mustang this was common. Typically a soaked MF with some ONR or in my case Megs D114 and gingerly work into the seam. If you use a tooth pick go lightly, soak the area first with the rinseless wash solution. For crevasses, I'll usually use a tooth pick, but place a MF towel between the toothpick and the painted surface, gingerly so the the pick doesn't poke through the MF towel.

You have to have a lot of lube, dwell time and a surgeons hand... Next time mask off, or just use the "rule of thumb".

JFunnyman
02-01-2019, 01:19 PM
When I had a partial PPF on my Mustang this was common. Typically a soaked MF with some ONR or in my case Megs D114 and gingerly work into the seam. If you use a tooth pick go lightly, soak the area first with the rinseless wash solution. For crevasses, I'll usually use a tooth pick, but place a MF towel between the toothpick and the painted surface, gingerly so the the pick doesn't poke through the MF towel.

You have to have a lot of lube, dwell time and a surgeons hand... Next time mask off, or just use the "rule of thumb".

Im going to be doing a little paint enhancement this weekend anyhow, so I’ll try this as I do my rinseless wash.

Thanks for the tips everybody, much appreciated!