PDA

View Full Version : So this increased my MPG

Pages : [1] 2

Mgavin1985
01-27-2019, 06:47 PM
Came across a crazy thread in corvette forum on LS1. It called for adding two stroke oil into your gas. Specifically TC-w3 I have used pennzoil marine XLF 1oz to 5 gallons. Every thing I read called 1:500 ratio. I bought a gallon of 2 cycle oil and have run it about 4500 miles on 4 cars and it increased my average mpg for 22 to 23. The other cars were about the same 1-1.5 mpg increase I checked the plugs before and after on 2 of the4 cars they looked a little cleaner but could be placebo. One of the cars has high mileage 170000 miles it ran crappy and idle was very rough this sorted the idle issues engine sounds quieter. Prior to this I ran Lucas in winter nothing in summer but it was getting expensive. This would probably be better on bob the oil guy forum but wanted to know if anyone has heard of this? And what type of fuel additives you use.

minerigger
01-27-2019, 07:04 PM
On the first gen Duramax it’s common to run 2 stroke oil. They don’t do it so much for the increase in mpg but for the added lubricity to the diesel fuel. The firstborns were notorious for eating injectors due to a crap design. This helped them live a little longer along with a lift pump. Personally I run fuel additive in every tank of my diesel. Winter is Howe’s, summer is optilube. Haven’t read much on doing it for gassers if it works maybe I’ll do it in the wifes armada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBAILEY
01-27-2019, 07:15 PM
I use Lucas fuel additive also. I buy the gallon of it when I see it on sale. I always think I get slightly better gas mileage, but not more than 20-30 miles more out of tank of fuel. I do think that the engine at least seems to run smoother and definitely quieter. I do worry about using it too much and usually do it about every 3rd tank full.

Mgavin1985
01-27-2019, 08:40 PM
Compared to Lucas you use about 1/3 the volume of additive and the additive cost about half the price per gallon that was the big seller for me I’m gonna keep it going I stared in 10/2018. I’ll update here if any goes wrong or maybe every 6 months

I tried a couple of additives in fuel and oil.

I have ceramic coating in my oil called ceratec from liquid molly it’s some kind of hexagonal borate suppose to more slippery than there base M0S2 wear additive

I have a sweet spot for snake oil and the latest and greatest idea

Bruno Soares
01-27-2019, 08:59 PM
I came into this thread expecting to hear the first report that Bead Maker makes the car so slick it increased your mpg. I’m glad I was wrong.

Mgavin1985
01-27-2019, 09:04 PM
I should edit that into the title not beadmaker Related

Paul A.
01-27-2019, 09:18 PM
No, no, no...don't do that, it will decrease your thread view count! Lol.

nichocha33
01-27-2019, 10:14 PM
I run Lucas in my truck every tank and I go through some tanks. 2010 Hemi Ram 1500 140,000 most of its life lifted on 37s, now 35s, I get a noticeable decrease in engine noise and by my mileage estimator about goes up .5 more mpg. Now I’ve never put the mpg down on paper to verify but the decrease in engine ruckus and smoother idle are worth it to me. I’ll have to check the 2 stroke oil out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlmccarty2000
01-27-2019, 10:54 PM
I run Lucas in all my cars. Not sure if the mileage is better or worse though, lol.

Mgavin1985
02-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Here’s the link to forum of the dudes that started it some good reads it a 9 year thread that’s what started it Been testing Oil (https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/)

Anyone else running ceramics in oil?

Mgavin1985
07-14-2019, 07:54 PM
I have still been doing this religiously I am definitely over year.Im very close to finishing my first gallon in a month I will be through. I am still seeing the 1mpg increase since using it. If you want an interesting read see the above link to “been testing oil 10 year experiment”. I have meet a few truck guys that run this in there Cummings and One mechanic told me the the mpg increase is not from the lube the two stroke oil is giving me he thought it was from the cleaning and it cleans fuel system he said it might actually help with the dirty gas we all have to use now with corn alcohol and ranted.The other 4 or so mechanics did not believe I was actually doing this. The one thought I was bull shutting him until I pull the big yellow gallonof pennzoil marine two stroke from my truck. Anyone else ever do this

57Rambler
07-14-2019, 08:45 PM
I run Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel for my '66 Vette (327/350HP) ... it helps to make up for the lack of lead / serves as a top end lube, and also helps keep the fuel system clean ... Holleys hate dirt.

Desertnate
07-15-2019, 08:36 AM
On a modern engine won't the two cycle oil mixed with the fuel foul the injectors? There might be some unknown mileage benefit, but I'd be worried about adverse effects on the fuel system due to stuff being in the fuel that it isn't designed to handle.

Stormin08
07-15-2019, 02:50 PM
i can say this...i run SUPER TECH TC-w3 in my 2002 5.9 Cummins at every fill up. i run 32oz per tank on a 35 gallon tank.
Purely for added cheap per tank LUBRICATION....i have seen nothing for a mileage gain. although the truck is tuned, so that will effect overall mileage.

i will say this, my truck unloaded run at 1900-2000 rpm at 80ish mph, i regularly see about 20-21 mpg on a good road trip (truck has 207K miles). but i recall one trip most of all...Wisconsin to StL, MO, the station i stopped at didnt have ANY 2 stroke oil, but i ran across the street to a Yamaha motorcycle dealer (grabbed a quart of YAMALUBE synthetic)...the next few fill ups were netting 23 mpg.

i wouldnt dream f using it in a new fuel injected vehicle...why ? no reason, just didnt think to...but i think it would harm convertors, exhaust PCV systems.

PaulMys
07-15-2019, 05:59 PM
.......he said it might actually help with the dirty gas we all have to use now with corn alcohol

I happen to agree that the TCW-3 2-stroke oil helps to "stabilize" the rotten ethanol gas we are forced to use. I also believe that it reduces the phase-separation and moisture attraction that ethanol gas has in abundance.

However, it does not stop the ethanol from attacking things like 2-stroke carburetor fuel pump diaphragms, rubber seats (in 4-stoke carbs), and most non-metallic fuel lines.