PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on leather dye

CCSpeedlab
01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Hello.

I recently repaired the upper bolster on my 2001 Honda S2000 with leather filler and coats of dye that I had mixed to match a piece of the leather door card, which is the same original shade of red leather. The seat was not ripped but had some cracking and some valleys that needed filler. I smoothed it all out and let the filler cure. I then laid down four coats of dye, letting each coat dry fully before applying the next. It took that much to hide the white filler. I applied sealer after the dye had cured. When I got done, I noticed that the rest of the seat was darker/richer than the repaired area. A attribute this to the leather being aged and being treated with conditioners several times over the 17 year life of the car so far. The door cards have probably never received the same conditioners so they would not look richer and shinier like the seats.

The pic below shows the difference in the bolster on the right compared to the rest of the seat. I do realize that the bolster is now the original shade of red when new. Are there any tips to possibly get the repaired area to better match the rest of the seat? All I have tried is a coat of Surf City Garage Voodoo Leather treatment but it didn't change anything. Am I just going to have to wait until this leather accepts multiple treatments of conditioner over time and it will eventually darken? Should I go the other direction and try to remove embedded oils/waxes from the rest of the seat and if so, with what method?

CCSpeedlab
01-28-2019, 03:05 PM
No one here has dyed leather?