PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Fender wells (liner under the fender)

Pages : [1] 2

TNMIKE46
01-21-2019, 04:36 PM
I was just thinking here and thought about this question. Searched the forum and nothing comes up. What do you guys use to clean under the fenders.

I'm sure pressure washing will be one answer but I was wondering if anyone uses specific cleaners. Then after cleaned what do you use to make the plastic look like new.

Just wondering?!

HockeyCrazi
01-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Good question, I'm interested in what people will say. I usually just use AP cleaner, get a brush (I have the long handed one from Mothers), scrub and rinse. I use Meguiars Ultimate "Back-to-Black" for the dressing. Thinking of switching to the newer product from Meguiars that's in a spray form.

Eldorado2k
01-21-2019, 05:30 PM
I detailed 3 vehicles this past weekend, and after 5 rare days of rain they were all thrashed inside the wheel wells especially.

I spray Megs D101 APC inside the wheel well, then I hit it with the Mothers Wheel Well Brush. If you’re interested in getting your wheel wells right, then I highly recommend this brush.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190121/5795edf2a12ea788bc72d6339ddc0b67.jpg

Once I rinse them clean, I spray them with Hyper Dressing @1:1
It self levels so there’s no need to wipe it down, just spray & walk away.

As far as that brush, it must be used correctly or it’ll frustrate you and you might end up hating it... It’s not rocket science, but it matters.

Start at the bottom of the wheel well with the brush, like this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190121/05014afd10a4bd7af5d2d82c70d1145d.jpg

Sometimes you don’t or can’t make it all the way around, so start new on the other side, bottom to the top:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190121/900f833f4011580ed84e997fc1fb72e5.jpg

If you try to enter like this, you’ll fail nearly all the time and you’ll wind up hating wheel wells altogether... Not to mention you’ll probably wind up scratching your paint.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190121/2925c25d0d6dc3c1f0028ec75fa93370.jpg

See how my wheel wells always look good? That’s because of the Hyper Dressing.[emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190121/f434a233d11690c1a68e745885bea118.jpg

DMW
01-21-2019, 06:10 PM
That brush works fine with that HUGE fender gap. Good luck using that on a sports car or a lowered vehicle.

This reminds me that I need to jack up my car, pull the wheels, and get in there for the upcoming Mopar show in early March.

chet31
01-21-2019, 06:26 PM
I pretty much do what Eldorado does. Generally, I don't clean them, I just hit them with Meg's All-Season Dressing. Even when you clean them, you have tar remaining. That's problematic because the same stuff that dissolves tar also can potentially dissolve plastic. So I've lowered my expectations to "make it look good" rather than "make it perfect."

P.S. You can access most of the wheel well by using a jack, giving it a few pumps, and leaving the wheel on. Just use the jack to create some space for yourself.

Bill D
01-21-2019, 06:32 PM
I’m still looking for a satisfactory dressing for the wells that will put up with at least a little rain. Hate to dress them only to see the dressing just wash off.

Eldorado2k
01-21-2019, 06:51 PM
That brush works fine with that HUGE fender gap. Good luck using that on a sports car or a lowered vehicle.

Use a dishwashing aka toilet bowl brush.

I’m still looking for a satisfactory dressing for the wells that will put up with at least a little rain. Hate to dress them only to see the dressing just wash off.

What have you tried and @ what dilution?

Bill D
01-21-2019, 07:28 PM
I’m currently using PERL at full dilution. In the past I’ve tried nearly every water based dressing. I don’t like oil based ones because they attract dust

DaveT435
01-21-2019, 07:42 PM
On my wife’s F-150 I was putting Mc’Kee’s Tire Shine with Si02 on the tires and decided to hit the inner fenders with it. I was impressed. It lasted quite a while and made cleaning them much easier for a few weeks. A little off point but this product has really impressed me on tires. I bought it just so I would have a product I could put on quickly. I figured the Si02 was just a gimmick. I don’t know if it’s the Si02 or just the formula in general but I’ve been extremely pleased with this product. After I saw how it did on both the tires and inner fenders I bought a gallon.

Bill D
01-21-2019, 07:54 PM
If that product fares well in wet conditions I will consider it

Breese147
01-21-2019, 07:56 PM
I either use megs apc or for really bad wheel wells I use ADM’Ss tire and rubber cleaner . I used to use Pearl for the dressing but since switched over to Megs hyper dressing. It’s too easy and too cheap to use megs HD. I have since been considering these new Sio2 Tire shine products and after hearing that someone had good results I would consider that to be my new contender!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlmccarty2000
01-21-2019, 09:13 PM
I do mine just like Eldorado2k. Same brush and same Hyper Dressing. Hyper Dressing is cheap so I don’t mind reapplying.

briarpatch
01-21-2019, 09:22 PM
For a cleaner, I use Meguiars APC at either 4:1 or 2:1 depending on how dirty they are. I use the fender well brush from Griots....I like it because it has a slight curve to it. For those fender wells that don't have much room, I use a Daytona Speed brush for those. For dressing, I use Stoners Trim Dressing (aerosol version). For the newer style 'cloth' fender wells, I just spray with APC and ht with the (SunJoe SPX3000) power washer.

DaveT435
01-21-2019, 09:46 PM

This year was the second wettest year in history for our area, so it saw a fair amount of rain.

minerigger
01-21-2019, 09:53 PM

I put some on the wifes tires 2 weeks ago. 2 coats of the McKees sio2 enhanced tire shine that is. It made it through snow and all the slip for a few days after. Then through a waterless wash and it was still looking good. I applied another coat this weekend so I would have them protect before this snow storm but I’m impressed. Probably be getting a gallon when I get low. Best part is when you apply and move to the next tire, rinse and repeat. By the time you get back to where you started you are ready for another coat. Give it an hr to adhere good in cooler temps and wipe any excess...should be very minimal if you don’t over apply. And your good to go. I’m very impressed with this.

I use the McKees applicator and really like them and I have toyo at2 with the more aggressive of the sidewalls out and it does fine on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk