PDA

View Full Version : Have you no pride?

Pages : [1] 2

Farmallluvr
01-04-2019, 01:36 PM
I.don't know where this poor has been but sheesh,I don't even think they attempted to remove the wheelmarks

The whole car is in pretty poor condition but still,have some pride in your workmanship

panthershark
01-04-2019, 01:45 PM
Great to see the additional pics when you are done

Farmallluvr
01-04-2019, 02:40 PM
I finished the hood

I spent about 20 minutes on it so here's the pics of what I used and how it turned out,it's a 135,000 mile 2012 Cruze for our budget row

Rsurfer
01-04-2019, 02:48 PM
If you had pride you wouldn't lay your glasses on the hood, but never the less nice recovery.

Farmallluvr
01-04-2019, 03:13 PM
If you had pride you wouldn't lay your glasses on the hood, but never the less nice recovery.

Probably true and not something I normally do but they are soft rubber coated and would have slid off otherwise

Sizzle Chest
01-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Nice work and save! Paint looks very good now for the mileage! Well done!

DaveT435
01-04-2019, 04:18 PM
I.don't know where this poor has been but sheesh,I don't even think they attempted to remove the wheelmarks

The whole car is in pretty poor condition but still,have some pride in your workmanship

I see a few vehicles in my area like that. Entire vehicle looks just like that, a lot of the vehicles I’ve seen are black also. I could see an individual who doesn’t know any better doing this to their car in an attempt to improve the looks, obviously it would have to go to a pro at that point. But for someone to charge people to do that to their vehicles. That’s inexcusable!!

Kamakaz1961
01-04-2019, 04:48 PM
Great work!

PaulMys
01-04-2019, 05:24 PM
What a mess.

Nice work, bud!

Calendyr
01-05-2019, 01:42 AM
Those look like DISM ;)

I can't understand it either... the guy doing the compounding should know how to look at paint, and I can't for the life of me understand he could live with himself with the car covered in holograms. If he doesn't have time to do a 2 step, then why not just do a one step and avoid the holograms?

dlc95
01-05-2019, 08:39 AM
I've learned that some of these technicians are just guys doing a job. They have no interest in looking past rubbing the paint with a buffer. They are probably unaware of the depth some of us take this craft.

A good friend, who I have help on some jobs works at a place that preps cars for Chrysler. They run the 3M system with DeWalt rotary buffers. Nothing wrong with that, it works, and is a proven system. Every car gets the full treatment wether the car needs it or not.

They told my friend that he needs to heat the paint to reflow it. He then one stepped his vehicles with a PC 7424xp, Megs me finishing pad, and M205, and followed with an abrasive cleaner wax (SS Burnout?). He turns out cars faster, and with higher quality, and no dust. He had to buy a respirator because these guys were creating a ton of dust too. Which is the safe thing for him to do anyways.

The point is that some these guys are just doing a job. Once they leave for the day, polishing paint is the last thing on their mind. My friend? He's thinking of things he can do to improve and make his process more effective. He'll call and we discuss product selections, etc. His experience reaffirmed how vast the mindset approach can be.

And that blue shines like a jewel!

Mike Phillips
01-05-2019, 09:12 AM
In the year 2019 it's simply ridiculous for anyone to turn out shoddy work.... reminds me of the car in this article I wrote back in 2012 - I took the picture of this car at SEMA of all places....

It takes just as long to do it wrong... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/57400-takes-just-long-do-wrong.html)

:laughing:

Mike Phillips
01-05-2019, 09:14 AM
And if Louise can do it.... anyone can do it...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3515/Sept_2017_Class_177.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3515/Sept_2017_Class_222.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3515/Sept_2017_Class_224.JPG

Who attends a 3-day class at Autogeek at $1,800.00? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/information-for-autogeeks-3-day-detailing-classes-with-mike-phillips/121022-who-attends-3-day-class-autogeek-1-800-00-a.html)

:)

Farmallluvr
01-05-2019, 11:35 AM
I've learned that some of these technicians are just guys doing a job. They have no interest in looking past rubbing the paint with a buffer. They are probably unaware of the depth some of us take this craft.

A good friend, who I have help on some jobs works at a place that preps cars for Chrysler. They run the 3M system with DeWalt rotary buffers. Nothing wrong with that, it works, and is a proven system. Every car gets the full treatment wether the car needs it or not.

They told my friend that he needs to heat the paint to reflow it. He then one stepped his vehicles with a PC 7424xp, Megs me finishing pad, and M205, and followed with an abrasive cleaner wax (SS Burnout?). He turns out cars faster, and with higher quality, and no dust. He had to buy a respirator because these guys were creating a ton of dust too. Which is the safe thing for him to do anyways.

The point is that some these guys are just doing a job. Once they leave for the day, polishing paint is the last thing on their mind. My friend? He's thinking of things he can do to improve and make his process more effective. He'll call and we discuss product selections, etc. His experience reaffirmed how vast the mindset approach can be.

And that blue shines like a jewel!
I see cars in my sleep,,literally,,last night I had a dream my glasses slid down the hood gouging it out and all my my boss said was that it matched the holes gouged through the plastic on the front and rear bumper covers,,lol.(damn you Rsurfer :laughing: )

Anyhoo,,I was told that same line about heating up the clear to remove scratches so early on I did it that way ,,if it's a mess I still cut with wool because it's quicker which allows me more time to spend polishing out the swirls or whatever I didn't finish out all the way with wool,,and almost everycar I do is a complete inside and out full detail so saving time anywhere I can matters.

A few years ago we had a new Traverse that a customer ran into a pole and had some very deep scratches in it and my boss wanted them buffed out and told if I couldn't get them out to take it around to the bodyshop,,I got really aggressive with them and pushed the envelope farther than normal,,and took it around to paintshop after I burned through :p ,

A couple of the scratches were through right down to the plastic so it was going to painted anyway but I was curious to see just how far I could go..and I did.

I do like this Blue but I think it may look better on the Mustang,,or maybe thats just because it's a Mustang

mdbenge
01-06-2019, 05:40 AM
I've found over the years there are very few "Professional" detailers working at dealerships and the ones who are actually perfectionists are not allowed to spend the adequate amount of time on any one vehicle. In fairness their job is not to turn out a perfectly detailed car that will go to SEMA or even the local car club's Car & Coffee. Their job is to make a car LOOK nice and pretty for the 99.8% of car purchasers who could care less or who knows anything about holograms, swirls, marring, etc.

A very large dealership close to me (advertises 10,000 cars on their lots) has 3 full time detailers and I guaranteed you none of them get to spend more than a couple of hours on any car that comes into their shop. Make 'em look clean, turn 'em fast and quick is their motto. It has to be given the quantity they deal with. Even the best seasoned true "pro" detailer on this site would not be able to make the cars flawless given the turnaround restrictions.