PDA

View Full Version : A rookie question about a stubborn material issue.

OutaFocus
01-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Hello,

I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the black textured cladding. Recently, I went to South Georgia to an outdoor wedding. I had to drive through a dirt road to get to the lakeside wedding. The dirt is very much like sand and it had recently rained. When I got home the dirt on my vehicle had dried. When I used a power washer to remove the dirt, it didn't come off of the paint or the cladding. I then used Stoner's Bug and Tar Remover and the supplied sponge from your Bug and Tar Remover Kit. I was able to remove the dirt from the painted surface with some elbow grease, but I can't remove it from the plastic cladding. It has the color and staying power of cement, but, of course, it's that sandy soil I drove through. I don't want to ruin the cladding, but I would really like to remove the dirt. Any tips on getting it off without ruining my cladding's finish?

I have very little experience with things like this, so I thought I would seek a professional for help.

Thanks in Advance,
Scott

Mantilgh
01-02-2019, 01:39 PM
I have never tried this but sugar dissolved in water is supposed to dissolve, or at least weaken concrete.

Not sure if it will work for your type of mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWETM
01-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Test with an APC. Spray it on and if possible use a foamcannon and foam it on. Let it dwell and not so long that it dries on the car. PW rinse it off and start from the bottom and work your way up so you see that you have hit all surface with the water pressure from the PW to clean it. Wash the car afterwards with car soap and wash mitt. If not all the mud gets off with the APC but you see it starts to desolve it. Do another application with the APC until you get all of the sand particals off. Then wash as useally. And dilute the APC to the strongest recommended dilution.

rlmccarty2000
01-02-2019, 08:55 PM
I live here in good old S. GA and have not seen this problem. The sandy soil from dirt roads usually washes right off paint so there must be something about the black cladding. I’ve seen red clay stain white paint (North GA even has blue clay), but that polishes out. A boars head brush may help and try some warm water as I do not believe a cleaner type product will help break the bond. Good luck and let us know what happened in case I run across the problem.