PDA

View Full Version : New to polishers

Pages : [1] 2

cajuncowboy654
12-31-2018, 08:28 AM
So I am looking to up my detailing game and get into polishing and swirl/defect removal.

At the moment it would primarily be on my own personal vehicles until I learn. My wife has an 18 Infiniti QX80 Black Obsidian and myself an 18 Ram 3500 Black.

The QX80 has swirls in it already because the dealer sends it through an auto car wash when it is in for service(won't be happening anymore) So I am wanting to remove those.

I am thinking of going with the Porter Cable DA, Griots Boss System polishes and abrasive and Lake county Force pads.

Does that sound like a good plan? Anyone suggest a different direction I should go in?

Thanks

dlc95
12-31-2018, 08:36 AM
Force pads are designed with the gear drive, forced rotation tools in mind - like the flex 3401 or a rotary polisher.

If you're looking at the boss system, consider the Griot's GG6 polisher, Boss 5" backing plate, Boss creams, and pads.

cajuncowboy654
12-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Hey thanks for the reply.

Looking at Griot's they have a full kit that comes with a 15 mm long throw polisher, 5 inch backing plate plus the boss creams, pads and some extras . Would this be a good kit for a beginner or should I stick with just their GG6 DA to start?

dennis hiip
12-31-2018, 08:51 AM
Good choice. Groits G6 has a little more power then Porter Cable.

SNP209
12-31-2018, 09:03 AM
Welcome to Autogeek!

The Griot's GG6 and the BOSS creams/pads are top notch products. Plus Griot's Garage back their polishers with a lifetime warranty!

Before opening up the wallet; I would highly recommend reading this article by Mike Phillips:

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-new-car-detailing-how-to-article-by-mike-phillips/111332-heres-what-you-need-get-into-machine-polishing-recommendations-beginner-mike-phillips.html)

It should answer a lot of questions you may have :xyxthumbs:

dlc95
12-31-2018, 09:05 AM
Hey thanks for the reply.

Looking at Griot's they have a full kit that comes with a 15 mm long throw polisher, 5 inch backing plate plus the boss creams, pads and some extras . Would this be a good kit for a beginner or should I stick with just their GG6 DA to start?

That kit would be a great start, but the GG6 can swap backing plates for smaller areas.

However, you can maybe pick up the GG3, and get the 2 or 3" boss pad and plate kit for those smaller areas.

I like the GG6 type tool for that flexibility.

Autogeek is currently running a whopping 25% off sale right now too. The tools are exempt, but you can save huge putting your own boss cream / pad / plate together.

You could consider:

Griot's GG6 Random Orbital Polisher

Liquid Gloss Poly Wax
Boss Perfecting Cream
Boss Fast Correcting Cream

Griot's 3" backing plate
Boss 5" plate

4 - 3" Boss yellow perfecting pad
4 - 3" Boss microfiber pad

2 - 5.5" Boss black foam finishing pad
4 - 5.5" Boss yellow foam perfecting pad
4 - 5.5" Boss microfiber pad.

That would set you up for a basic swirl remover, high gloss, high protection set up.

TTQ B4U
12-31-2018, 11:03 AM
So I am looking to up my detailing game and get into polishing and swirl/defect removal.
At the moment it would primarily be on my own personal vehicles until I learn. My wife has an 18 Infiniti QX80 Black Obsidian and myself an 18 Ram 3500 Black.
The QX80 has swirls in it already because the dealer sends it through an auto car wash when it is in for service(won't be happening anymore) So I am wanting to remove those.

My advice on the Infiniti is to stick to a good solid polish. I'm not familiar with Griot's products but use something that perhaps is comparable to Meg's Ulitmate Polish/205 or the newer 210. The reason being is Infiniti uses a self-healing clear coat. It may not seem so since yours has seen a car wash and been swirled, but it does work. Look under the passenger side of the hood for the sticker. Once corrected, if a mild scuff or scrape gets produced, a nice hot day in the sun or a hair dryer will fix it. Been there done that as a test on mine. Key however, is to not burn too deep into the clear. You shouldn't need more than a polish for minor swirls anyway.

I am thinking of going with the Porter Cable DA, Griots Boss System polishes and abrasive and Lake county Force pads.
Does that sound like a good plan? Anyone suggest a different direction I should go in?

I personally would ante up and get a forced rotation like the Flex 3401 or the Rupes Mille. I own both and graduated to them back in the day from a standard DA and did also own the PC DA you're looking at. I would forgo the Porter unit and go with the Griot's Boss system for a few more bucks if the forced rotation is too much money. Griot's are strong and will serve you well. Go with the Lake Country THIN Pads on such a unit too. Thin pads work better. The Hybrid Force Pads are meant for forced rotation units. I use them on my 3401.

Hope my above helps.

SWETM
12-31-2018, 01:01 PM
Since the paint is self healing. Could it be an option to get whatever LSP off with something like a paint cleaner without wax in it. And then induce some heat to it either the sun if possible or the hair dryer. Then if it's not healed completly he could be useing the finishing polish. Just wondering since I have no experience with a self healing paint. It's a very cool ability though.

Have you consider to go with a longthrow polisher or direct driven DA? You have a lot of surface to polish. So a bigger polisher and maybe even 6-7" pads on the larger areas.

Coatingsarecrack
12-31-2018, 02:06 PM
Hey Cajun. I’m newer to the game and just did what you did and spend ALOT of time researching. If price is in the PC realm... go with gg griots 6. Suppose to be smoother more powerful than PC. Also has a lifetime warranty on defects that I have read griots actually backs. I tried it and good for the money. Problem was I tried the Griots BOSS g15 at same time. main difference is it’s a long throw. If your asking what’s a long throw a DA polisher just google it lots of info but basically covers more ground and better abrasive action to correct paint faster. I went with griots over Rupes because although the Rupes seems to be king, Read nothing bad about the BOSS polishers and still has lifetime warranty (Also Black Friday special gave me 20% off the boss kit so was like 200$ cheaper). With all that flat real estate on the dodge P/u a 15mm (long throw) will be faster/more efficient. The. $379 kit on auto geek for Griots BOSS g15 is an amazing deal. Basically for 15$ more you get 5 boss pads of your choice 40-50$ value, pad conditioner 10$ value and 3 nice MF 15$ value (get even more pads and MFers). My car has lots of curves and nooks and crannies where the 15 may stall or not fit. I am considering buying a 3” DA polisher to get those areas. I hear a lot about stalling problems with griots 3” DA so will prolly not but that (note: their are a few versions/updates that added improvements and not sure which versions I read about. I’m currently debating between the Rupes 3”, Rupes nano, and most likely choice a 3” DA from another detailing company. Still researching. Hope any off this helps but remember I’m new and this information is based of reviews and comments I got from websites/forum.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181231/981d26c03f0c7bcd95da28c7527282dc.jpg

This is the one I got. Package does not come with everything in picture

cajuncowboy654
12-31-2018, 02:07 PM
Since the paint is self healing. Could it be an option to get whatever LSP off with something like a paint cleaner without wax in it. And then induce some heat to it either the sun if possible or the hair dryer. Then if it's not healed completly he could be useing the finishing polish. Just wondering since I have no experience with a self healing paint. It's a very cool ability though.

Have you consider to go with a longthrow polisher or direct driven DA? You have a lot of surface to polish. So a bigger polisher and maybe even 6-7" pads on the larger areas.Well we live in south Louisiana and the sun hasn't helped the self healing so far, so dont think that will work.

I have interest also in possibly the 15mm long throw from griots and have looked at the 3401 but am also looking for the best beginner friendly machines.

The option to do a 3" pad on the griots da is appealing as the qx80 has some smaller curved area that the 3" would probably help with.

I've been reading and watching so much that I've confused myself honestly lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
12-31-2018, 02:53 PM

Have you consider to go with a longthrow polisher or direct driven DA? You have a lot of surface to polish. So a bigger polisher and maybe even 6-7" pads on the larger areas.

sun exposure takes a while. it's not instant. hairdryer on individual marks works. I've done it where my son and daughter put them on the sides of my car now and then.

Kamakaz1961
12-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Good luck with your selection! You will get tremendous advice from everyone here. I will not be telling you which DA to get as you will pick a good DA regardless, especially if you get it from Autogeek. Same goes with product selection! The only advice I can give you is to learn and get good at detailing but most of all HAVE FUN! Happy New Year!

TTQ B4U
12-31-2018, 03:37 PM
The only advice I can give you is to learn and get good at detailing but most of all HAVE FUN! Happy New Year!

and get a credit card that you earn bonus points on as you'll be using it a lot ;)

MarkD51
12-31-2018, 04:07 PM
Well we live in south Louisiana and the sun hasn't helped the self healing so far, so dont think that will work.

I have interest also in possibly the 15mm long throw from griots and have looked at the 3401 but am also looking for the best beginner friendly machines.

The option to do a 3" pad on the griots da is appealing as the qx80 has some smaller curved area that the 3" would probably help with.

I've been reading and watching so much that I've confused myself honestly lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I can understand feeling confused. There's such a vast selection of polishers, and as well chemical products. I'd say sleep a bit on it some more.

Probably the best bang for the buck would be the Griots GG-6" Machine. Many love this machine, find it quite capable. The money savings versus buying the more expensive Boss-15, or others could then pay for a few different sized Backing Plates, and the Pads to go with them.

You never know, over the next few days, there may be some further mega-sales.

R/TED
12-31-2018, 06:29 PM
I started out with the Porter Cable 7424 some years ago as the thought of my first polisher being of the forced rotation/rotary type is intimidating when you have no experience with a machine. The Griot's GG6 is a great choice for beginners. Gain experience with that and then move up to a forced rotation machine like the Flex 3401. There is a bit of a learning curve with any forced rotation machine. Good luck.