PDA

View Full Version : LHR 15 Mark II help

Woodman2011
12-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Buying the Rupes LHR Mark II. I now need pads and compounds.
I'm having a hard time picking between LC HDO pads and the rupes pad. Opinions?
Then compounds go with the system? Or branch out and get something like menzerna?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

dlc95
12-30-2018, 10:55 AM
I tend to stick to their system.

The blue and yellow is a great starting point.

I've found that I use the yellow microfiber / Keramik (yellow) polish the most, because most of my customers want a Polish + Seal. It usually does a great job cleaning up the paint, and leaving great gloss. I've occasionally had it haze on me, and in those situations Keramik on the yellow foam worked great.

I also find that for heavy cutting I use the coarse blue microfiber more than the foam. I could get by with the yellow foam and microfiber pads, the Blue coarse microfiber, and the Keramik (yellow), and Zephir (blue) compounds.

If you go the "system" route, you could avoid the washer mod. It flat out doesn't work well with the Rupes blue, green, and grey (UHS) pads. You'll sling compound all over the place, and negate the smooth operating feature of the tool.

I really like the idea of LC HDO paired with Menzerna polishes. 3D One would also work great!

Ddetailing 225
12-30-2018, 11:06 AM
Try rupes wool pad its great

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BudgetPlan1
12-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Havent ventured too far into those new wool pads but here in amateur-ville, the below are some things I've enjoyed after starting with the entire Rupes System.

I kept the Rupes Keramik (yellow) and Diamond (white) pads and polishes but gave away the green and blue pads & liquids. Also gave away the UHS stuff.

1. Rupes yellow pad + Sonax Perfect Finish is a match made in heaven.

2. Megs microfiber cutting discs w Megs D300 can do some nice, heavy lifting.

While I use multiple other pads/polishes with my 15 Mk2, those 2 combos are always nice and consistent. I tried Rupes Yellow pad with 3D/HD One last week and it was quite nice as well.

Jescar stuff works well too.

The Guz
12-30-2018, 12:54 PM
You don’t have to stick with their pads and compounds as a system approach.

The Rupes yellow pad is a must have in my opinion.

I personally did not like the HDO pads on the LHR 15 MKII. The backing on them is too stiff. The SDO version is better.

The blue foam pad is not bad but it lacks cut if you are looking for a foam cutting pad. One of the nicest foam cutting pads I found is not sold here.

Other alternative pads are the buff and shine euro tech pads. The yellow pad is similar to the Rupes but the Rupes is still better. The burgundy foam pad is a nice alternative to the green Rupes pad.

The Meguiar’s microfiber cutting pad works well with it. As mentioned Meguiar’s D300 is a nice compound with them.

Your options are endless when it comes to compounds and polishes.

Sonax Cut Max is a nice compound. The new Meguiar’s M110 is nice. May not have as much cut as Cut Max but it still does a nice job.

From a polish perspective Sonax perfect finish, Sonax Ex 04-06, Gyeon polish, Optimum Hyper Polish are all good options. Meguiar’s M205 is still good but can have issues finishing on softer paints but their new M210 is supposed to solve that issue.

rlmccarty2000
12-30-2018, 01:10 PM
My suggestions falls in line with some of the others. Use Rupes or Meguires microfiber pads for cutting with the Rupes blue polish or Megs D300 or Menz 400. Buy the Rupes yellow pad (best pad on the market) use it with the Rupes yellow polish or Menz 3500. Skip the Rupes blue and green pads. Once you have mastered using microfiber/yellow combo you can play around with other combos if you like but you will get great results 90% of the time with the microfiber/yellow pad combo.

The only thing I might add is if you are using CarPro Essence the CarPro Gloss Pad is a good option.

hmardown
12-30-2018, 05:07 PM
Woodman
I've got that same machine. in the beginning I had many other foam pads from different polishers. but after trying to use them, & not liking them I went with the rupes foam pads & products. seems like the other pads were gripping & jumping on me. I went to the rupes pads & really like them. their not cheap, but neither are the other brands. besides it forces me to take good care of the pads & get plenty of use from them. hope this helped.
Carlo
ps. I do use many other compounds, polishes and waxes.

Woodman2011
12-30-2018, 07:26 PM
Thanks for all the responses. How about how many of each pad should I be getting 2 to 3?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

rlmccarty2000
12-30-2018, 07:38 PM
I would start with 6 cutting and 6 finishing. Work clean and switch pads after every panel. Also rotating pads will make them last longer. Heat buildup occurs when a pad gets saturated with polish and heat is a pad killer.