PDA

View Full Version : How long to leave wax on before removing?

Bobbykart
12-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Gang: I learn SO much from this forum, especially old posts from Mike P . I unfortunately have a black car addiction, and always looking for More gloss (not more cowbell). Question: if I leave a wax on longer, will it really do anything? What about a coat of glaze between polish and waxing? Polish on!

spazzz
12-29-2018, 10:13 PM
Gang: I learn SO much from this forum, especially old posts from Mike P . I unfortunately have a black car addiction, and always looking for More gloss (not more cowbell). Question: if I leave a wax on longer, will it really do anything? What about a coat of glaze between polish and waxing? Polish on!

I have left 845, Wolfgang DGPS, Fuzion and Meguiars Ultimate wax on over night and didn't really notice anything different.
Maybe a good topper after washes, the guys say Beadmaker for example.
I would try ECH20/Reload. It works great on my GM black.

You probably should try a (glass)coating. Easier cleaning and less dust collection.

Rsurfer
12-30-2018, 01:04 AM

Want more gloss..it's all in the polishing my friend.

MarkD51
12-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Probably as Mike P would advise, and seems the most logical, is when the Wax in question will pass "The Swipe Test".

I can remember in the olden days when I was a kid living in Chicago, I can recall the older guys waxing their cars, then driving around all day and not removing it.

Never seen the sense in that, Their principle was that the wax would somehow "bake in" to the finish, providing more durability.

All I saw it as, was a dust magnet, and then you're only wiping accumulated dirts and grits right into the paint finish.

Another was dousing the car in cold water immediately after wax removal. Supposedly "hardens the wax". Another bunch of poppycock IMO which offered zero benefit.

MarkD51
12-30-2018, 09:29 AM

I have a friend that for years never used a wax on his black show car. Only glazes. His claim was that a wax detracted from the dazzling black look. This is the very car I speak of. Today, it is commonly a best of show winner.

It's a 1968 SS396 Chevelle. At this show, World of Wheels in Milwaukee, Feb 2018, it did take a best in show. One of many.

I can perhaps believe that in his instance, or because perhaps the waxes "he" was using were not that optically transparent, or for some other specific reason, that these waxes he used left a haze and clouded the paint to a certain degree.

Of course this car I mention was strictly a garage queen, and one which was eventually never even driven or left on the street. Thus the protection that a wax could've offered was not really a major consideration "to a point".

Perhaps all I can further offer, if you're looking for the last little degree of gloss that any certain product can possibly offer, is the experimentation of a few different waxes, and/or sealants.

I guess then, once you find the one you like best, stick with it. You might possibly like the more sterile hard gloss of a sealant.

There's many great beauty waxes sold here, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Blackfire, and dozens more. And many fantastic sealants, Wolfgang WGDGPS 3.0 comes to mind. Top with Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray.

UncleDavy
12-30-2018, 10:04 AM

Once a wax or a sealant flashes, it is time for it to come off. Leaving it on any longer will make it more difficult to remove and Mark makes a great point about it collecting dust. The only time I would use a glaze is on single stage paint that has faded or started to oxidize. The glaze will restore oils to the paint and bring some of the shine back.

rlmccarty2000
12-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Also a thicker coat of wax does nothing more than make it more difficult to remove. Thin for the win.

spazzz
12-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Want more gloss..it's all in the polishing my friend.

He referenced between polish and waxing, so I took it for granted he has it machine polished.

Me leaving the sealant on was from being too burnt to wait for the wipe after an all dayer.
The 4 I listed remove easy when applied thin.

Just coat it