PDA

View Full Version : Leather Care

Markymapo
12-21-2018, 07:24 AM
Been focusing on the exterior of my cars since joining this forum. Now it’s time to focus on the interior during the winter in heated garage (one step at a time); any recommendations on products for leather seat care (cars are 1 to 3 years old).

mike02vr6
12-21-2018, 07:50 AM
I like griots 3 in 1 Ben using it on my csr for 5 years now. Works great

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

luvmyrv
12-21-2018, 10:05 AM
McKee's 70/30 Leather Shampoo does a real nice job and leaves no residue. Top that with their UV 50 Leather Guard. I am sure others will have other great suggestions as well, lots of good quality products out there. Have heard really good things about Blackfire Leather Complete but have not tried it yet.

Oz_TCH
12-21-2018, 11:10 AM
You may want to consider SONAX Premium Class Leather Care Kit (https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-premium-leather-kit.html).

Its on sale, 46% off at the moment. Its a great deal, IMO. You get the leather cleaner, care creme, leather brush 2 MF and 2 Foam applicators.

luvmyrv
12-21-2018, 09:49 PM
You may want to consider SONAX Premium Class Leather Care Kit (https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-premium-leather-kit.html).

Its on sale, 46% off at the moment. Its a great deal, IMO. You get the leather cleaner, care creme, leather brush 2 MF and 2 Foam applicators.

Wow....that's an awesome price!!! How does the product perform?

Oz_TCH
12-21-2018, 10:10 PM
I just ordered them myself. Have not tried it yet.

custmsprty
12-21-2018, 10:11 PM
I've been using the Sonax products and love them.
Note: I have at least 5 other brands all from AG store and Sonax is my favorite. And that kit mentioned is a great deal!

rlmccarty2000
12-22-2018, 02:10 AM
IGL has some great leather products, especially their leather coating. All are eco friendly too.

Oz_TCH
12-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Wow....that's an awesome price!!! How does the product perform?

Just put some of the Sonax Leather Care Creme on. So we'll see.
I didn't clean it first with the Sonax Leather Cleaner since I had clean it before just a few days ago with another product. The leather seems to absorb the leather cream the same way your skin absorbs the skin cream. My hands seem softer now, lol. JK. The leather seems to have darken or wetten a bit and did not take long for it to dry. There's no sticky residue, leather feels smooth as before. I didn't notice any smell,

I will continue to observe.

rlmccarty2000
12-24-2018, 09:16 PM
Most new leather seating made now has a plastic coating over it to protect the leather. Unless the plastic is cracked the moisturizers in leather creams never actually reach the leather. A Protectant made for plastics works better than the old lanolin type conditioners made in the past. A wipe with a mild APC is just about all that is necessary for new leather seats. Check your owners manual for leather care for your specific vehicle, but a product with some UV inhibitors is always a good idea to protect from fading.

Coatingsarecrack
12-24-2018, 09:23 PM
Most new leather seating made now has a plastic coating over it to protect the leather. Unless the plastic is cracked the moisturizers in leather creams never actually reach the leather. A Protectant made for plastics works better than the old lanolin type conditioners made in the past. A wipe with a mild APC is just about all that is necessary for new leather seats. Check your owners manual for leather care for your specific vehicle, but a product with some UV inhibitors is always a good idea to protect from fading.
Will leather coating (Gyeon, carpro) worth using on newer/plastic coated leather?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rlmccarty2000
12-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Will leather coating (Gyeon, carpro) worth using on newer/plastic coated leather?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it adds a layer of protection to keep seats from fading and cracking. Also will make them easier to keep clean and reject the blue jean dye from rubbing everytime you get in and out of the car. I would also suggest spraying your carpet with a fabric protectant to guard from spills and keep dirt from getting deep into the carpet. The new fabric Protectant products are great and easy to apply. Just spray and rub in to coat all the fibers. Just open the windows when using the CarPro Fabric Protectant as the smell was overpowering. The smell dissipated after a day but it was fierce when initially applied. The IGL stuff is eco friendly so I don’t expect the odor to be too strong.

chuckr
12-26-2018, 11:11 AM
For newer leather
LeatherMasters
Older leather Leatherique