PDA

View Full Version : Very surprised by the lack of filler removal by gyeon prep

Pages : [1] 2 3

WRAPT C5Z06
12-20-2018, 01:46 PM
I sanded with 3K, then polished with medium foam and Jescar Medium Polish. Hit it with Gyeon Prep and it looked pretty good. Hit it right after with Gtechniq Panel Wipe, and HOLY FILLERS BATMAN!!! It revealed a ton of sanding scratches that weren't removed. Be wary of these IPA based prep wipes, they may not be effective.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Dr Oldz
12-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Glorified QDs is what most are to me. Stick with a body shop solvent like I do.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Glorified QDs is what most are to me. Stick with a body shop solvent like I do.If I had only known sooner. I was literally shocked when I went over it with panel wipe.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

hogie
12-20-2018, 04:03 PM
Is this anything beyond standard Wax and Grease remover?

rlmccarty2000
12-20-2018, 10:31 PM
That’s quite a shock. Now I wonder if all preps are like that or just Gyeon?

Goonie75
12-20-2018, 10:35 PM
I seem to like Eraser. Hit it 2x sometimes to be sure. I'll pay more attention. But I do get that "grippy" feel after so I just assume....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

TTQ B4U
12-21-2018, 06:58 AM
Stick with a body shop solvent like I do.

Yep. Loads cheaper too. I buy them in gallon size.

Mike Phillips
12-21-2018, 07:13 AM
I sanded with 3K, then polished with medium foam and Jescar Medium Polish.

What we're you working on?

What type of tool did you use?

What was the sanding paper or disc?

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
12-21-2018, 09:28 AM

:)My test hood. Black OEM Volvo paint.

Rupes 15mm II

Rupes 3000 foam backed disc(sanded with 12mm DA).

Loach
12-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Gtechniq Panel Wipe seems like much more of a body prep solvent type cleaner and its effectiveness on knocking down some fresh LSP’s shows through. IPA (Gyeon Prep/CarPro Eraser) gets me a visually clean wipedown after polishing which is generally what I’m looking for out of this wipedown, no residuals detected through the light source on final wipe. But I’m close to switching over to Prep-All for all post polishing wipedowns for my tests, much more cost effective than Gtechniq and Eraser/Prep. I’d say the main problem for me is I’m addicted to how good Eraser smells.

JustJesus
12-21-2018, 12:34 PM
I’d say the main problem for me is I’m addicted to how good Eraser smells.

It does smell good. One car I did last summer, the guy was, "Man, what IS that stuff?! Smells so good!" He kept picking up the bottle and reading it over.

Mike Phillips
12-21-2018, 06:50 PM

My test hood. Black OEM Volvo paint.

Rupes 15mm II

Rupes 3000 foam backed disc(sanded with 12mm DA).

So the reason I asked is because I've done a fair bit of sanding in my life and one thing I've learned by experience is the most effective way to 100% remove sanding marks is to go full pedal to the metal and use a wool pad with a rotary buffer. Not only is it more effective it's usually faster. Then I remove my holograms.

What I have experienced when using foam pads on any orbital is the sanding marks are not removed - this is what you experienced. My guess is, if you had used a wool pad on a rotary buffer with a compound, there would not have been any sanding marks to fill thus one and done.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
12-21-2018, 07:25 PM
So the reason I asked is because I've done a fair bit of sanding in my life and one thing I've learned by experience is the most effective way to 100% remove sanding marks is to go full pedal to the metal and use a wool pad with a rotary buffer. Not only is it more effective it's usually faster. Then I remove my holograms.

What I have experienced when using foam pads on any orbital is the sanding marks are not removed - this is what you experienced. My guess is, if you had used a wool pad on a rotary buffer with a compound, there would not have been any sanding marks to fill thus one and done.

:)I purposely tried not to eliminate all sanding marks. I was testing the cutting ability between two compounds. I went with a foam pad, as I knew there would be scratches left over, but I wanted to see which compound removed more. Regardless, the fact gyeon prep only removed the topical oils surprised me, as it didn't reveal anywhere near the true finish. I felt like I did a magic trick when I wiped with Gtech panel wipe...lol.

JustJesus
12-21-2018, 07:40 PM
That makes sense. :)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
12-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Someone should do a detailed side by side comparison between several of these products on the same panel to see which ones perform the best. And don’t forget the pics.[emoji328]