PDA

View Full Version : Steam auto washing

Pages : [1] 2

Cruzscarwash
12-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Anyone use a steamachine to wash cars?? How is it? Do you find it useful over other ways? Easier? Harder? Better clean faster??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ducksfan
12-10-2018, 08:11 PM
It's been covered before.

In conclusion, it's not even a consideration unless your willing to spend $5000+ for a very high volume machine. Anything less and you're looking at easily over an hour to wash a car.

Cruzscarwash
12-10-2018, 08:20 PM
I was looking at a few 2k machines that seem like they would fit the bill. Everything I've seen they would be perfect but wanted to know if anyone here uses those or anything similar
It's been covered before.

In conclusion, it's not even a consideration unless your willing to spend $5000+ for a very high volume machine. Anything less and you're looking at easily over an hour to wash a car.

Vanquish Auto
12-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Anyone use a steamachine to wash cars?? How is it? Do you find it useful over other ways? Easier? Harder? Better clean faster??

I tried it when I first got my steamer. It works well. But I find it quicker and just as effective to use a WW or RW. I also wondered if the steam affected coatings in anyway. ONR works a lot better if you get if you get a steamer with chemical injection.

Cruzscarwash
12-10-2018, 09:46 PM
I've heard the chemical injection ones are really good
I tried it when I first got my steamer. It works well. But I find it quicker and just as effective to use a WW or RW. I also wondered if the steam affected coatings in anyway. ONR works a lot better if you get if you get a steamer with chemical injection.

Vanquish Auto
12-10-2018, 09:51 PM
I've heard the chemical injection ones are really good

I couldn’t imagine life without mine. APC for Interiors, degreaser for bays, stain remover for carpet and essential oils for air freshener. That last one only really works if it has a vapor setting. I would highly recommend one though.

Calendyr
12-10-2018, 09:55 PM
I couldn’t imagine life without mine. APC for Interiors, degreaser for bays, stain remover for carpet and essential oils for air freshener. That last one only really works if it has a vapor setting. I would highly recommend one though.

Yes but he is talking about using steam to wash the car, not do carpets and seats.

I would not use it. Seems like a giant waste of time. Also lubrication is not great with steam, more chance to put micro-marring in the paint. And if the car is really dirty, ouch, rubbing mud against the paint with no lubrication is the worst thing you can possibly do short of using a scrotch brite pad.

For some tasks, steam is great. But for washing, I really don't see why you would want to.

Vanquish Auto
12-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Yes but he is talking about using steam to wash the car, not do carpets and seats.

I would not use it. Seems like a giant waste of time. Also lubrication is not great with steam, more chance to put micro-marring in the paint. And if the car is really dirty, ouch, rubbing mud against the paint with no lubrication is the worst thing you can possibly do short of using a scrotch brite pad.

For some tasks, steam is great. But for washing, I really don't see why you would want to.

Can you read anything besides the last post and comment?

ducksfan
12-10-2018, 11:22 PM
I have a $2000 Dupray steam cleaner. It doesn't put out near enough steam to wash the exterior of a car. You would need a commercial unit. Like I posted before $5000+ or you're not even in the ballpark of finding out if it's something that would interest you.

Cruzscarwash
12-10-2018, 11:23 PM
What's your psi?
I have a $2000 Dupray steam cleaner. It doesn't put out near enough steam to wash the exterior of a car. You would need a commercial unit. Like I posted before $5000+ or you're not even in the ballpark of finding out if it's something that would interest you.

ducksfan
12-11-2018, 12:43 AM
What's your psi?

I don't know. I don't think they rate them by psi. It's volume of steam that's important once you get to a certain level.

I bought it here off AG. Go to the Dupray website. They probably have specs listed.

But, i'm telling you, you can't wash auto exteriors with it (or any of them in the same class). Go on YouTube and search around. There used to be videos of a couple places that offered it as a service. Your looking at a commercial unit and when I said $5000+, that was an entry point. I remember guys saying 8-10K for a popular unit.

Vanquish Auto
12-11-2018, 04:14 AM
I don't know. I don't think they rate them by psi. It's volume of steam that's important once you get to a certain level.

I bought it here off AG. Go to the Dupray website. They probably have specs listed.

But, i'm telling you, you can't wash auto exteriors with it (or any of them in the same class). Go on YouTube and search around. There used to be videos of a couple places that offered it as a service. Your looking at a commercial unit and when I said $5000+, that was an entry point. I remember guys saying 8-10K for a popular unit.

The one you have is 121 psi max. I looked at the same one for a little bit. But decided against it. Psi and recovery time is all I’ve seen them rated at. The one he is looking at will cover what he is wanting it for.

Mike Phillips
12-11-2018, 04:39 AM
Somewhere on this forum I typed out a fairly in-depth answer to this question. I’m in Charlotte working with Ray Evernham all day, don’t have a lot of forum time.

If someone can find the reply and share it in this thread I’ll send them something cool.

:)

Cruzscarwash
12-11-2018, 04:53 AM
This??

Review and how-to: Vapor Chief Steam Cleaners by Mike Phillips (https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eautogeekonline%2 Enet%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D111054&share_tid=111054&share_fid=2622&share_type=t)

Somewhere on this forum I typed out a fairly in-depth answer to this question. I’m in Charlotte working with Ray Evernham all day, don’t have a lot of forum time.

If someone can find the reply and share it in this thread I’ll send them something cool.

Mike Phillips
12-11-2018, 06:49 AM
This??

Review and how-to: Vapor Chief Steam Cleaners by Mike Phillips (https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eautogeekonline%2 Enet%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D111054&share_tid=111054&share_fid=2622&share_type=t)

If you click on the actual post number # - and then copy and paste the URL address (link) then if I or anyone else clicks on the link it will go right to the post.