PDA

View Full Version : LED Light Setup

tcope
12-09-2018, 01:05 AM
Read a prior thread on LED lights and ordered up the parts. It was cheaper to buy 4 120w/18w LED flood lights so I went ahead and ordered an extra set of clamps and light sockets so that I could use all 4 at the same time. Only drawback to this set up is plugging in all of the light. But a a simply multi outlet cord connected to the stand will solve that problem. So far, I like the set up. Having upper and lower lights makes it much easier to see them in the reflection and pick up on swirls. This whole set up cost me $87. Just two lights would run $55 with two spare lights (LEDs should last 20 years or so).

The stand is not the best. It will easily support the light LED lights but the metal tubes are fairly small.

Now it is time to break out the 2" pads that I just bought from Autogeek and get to polishing!

A few hours later and I'm done with a rear door and 1/4 panel. Really like the new light set up. Now I don't need to raise and lower the lights depending on the area of the panel I'm working. Will finish up the car in the morning and make a quick run out for a multi outlet cord so I only need to plug in one line.

Mike lambert
12-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Very nice!

mc2hill
12-10-2018, 10:32 AM
I have a similar setup (thanks to Zack's https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/80867-diy-led-work-light-much-better-than-halogen.html?highlight=zack+mcgovern thread). I added some ankle weights to the bottom of the stand, above the legs, to keep it from tipping over.