PDA

View Full Version : Black Solution Finish on grey...

Firehouse Mike
12-03-2018, 06:59 AM
I have a customer with a '03 Element with the OEM Honda grey trim and she wants it black. Would Black Solution finish provide enough coverage to make it black for her and still last a decent amount of time (with the proper prep of course)?

Thanks! :xyxthumbs:
Mike

WaxMaster1
12-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Interesting, I have and would use the Solution Finish Grey. Is the customer adamant about not having the grey trim any longer?

Firehouse Mike
12-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Interesting, I have and would use the Solution Finish Grey. Is the customer adamant about not having the grey trim any longer?

VERY adamant....

DBAILEY
12-03-2018, 09:10 AM
In my experience it will not turn it black unless it is a very porous plastic and it really absorbs the SF. You may need to look at a true dye. They can be messy and hard to get even coverage sometimes because different levels of absorption. There is always trim spray paint too. I have some projects come out pretty good using the Wurth trim paint

JKDesign
12-03-2018, 09:14 AM
In all honesty- I would turn them down for that portion of the job and refer them to a bodyshop. Even then, I would talk them out of it- there is just no real surefire way of refinishing a pebble-textured raw plastic part and having a lasting finish- not unless they want to spend a couple grand to have it done with base/clear (or matte clear). IMHO- if you cannot put a guarantee on it, it is not worth doing.