PDA

View Full Version : orange peel solutions?

Supergus1
12-01-2018, 08:00 PM
I have a Ram 1500, blue, that I bought last year. It looks as though it has had a partial repaint. From the belt line down on the doors there's some orange peel that is pretty obvious next to the gloss of what appears to be the factory paint on the upper half. Has anyone successfully knocked down orange peel with a machine and heavy compound? Or will it need to wet sanded? Thanks in advance.

DaveT435
12-01-2018, 08:14 PM
CarPro makes velvet and denim pads for this, I've never used them. Are you sure it's not some kind of chip resistant paint?? Being on in that area it could be.

Supergus1
12-01-2018, 10:12 PM
No its definitely orange peel. its from the beltline down to the lower body line, above the rocker panel. Thanks for the info on the denim pads. I'll look into them.

hmardown
12-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Supergus
I have 2015 ram(black) and although I have not tried to knock down the orange peel, there's plenty of it. I think it's there on purpose to give it plenty of shine & depth.
Carlo

hmardown
12-02-2018, 09:07 AM
Supergus
I have 2015 ram(black) and although I have not tried to knock down the orange peel, there's plenty of it. I think it's there on purpose to give it plenty of shine & depth.
Carlo

It’s hard see it here, but trust me they weren’t bashful with the orange peel. When the truck is detailed it looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonic Pilot
12-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Orange peel......ugh!!!!!! I HATE seeing this on new cars nowadays! I was told that manufacturers are actually doing this ON PURPOSE as a means of hiding paint flaws. Unbelievable!!! The higher-end manufacturers seem not to be engaging in this crap..thankfully.

PaulMys
12-02-2018, 07:37 PM
I see this on every vehicle on the lot at the Ford dealer I work for.

This includes black Mustang GT's, and Expeditions/Raptors which can be priced upward of 90k.

I would never pay that much for a vehicle with this kind of crap paint job, but most buyers apparently don't give two cares about it. They fly off of the lot like crazy. :confused:

MattPersman
12-03-2018, 06:50 AM
It’s normal on a ram. Anything you do is thinning out the clear coat so just keep that in mind

SWETM
12-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Could it be they put a coat of something that is more flexible before the bc/CC? It's so it won't get rock chips so easly. And there is some bodysprays that are paintble. I would think it is something like that if you don't see evidence in the door jambs and inside of the doors that it has been repainted.

DBAILEY
12-03-2018, 10:16 AM
If you decide on trying to remove the OP the Carpro Velvet pads are a bit safer. It will take you longer, but they leave a really nice finish. I have used them with FG400 and Scholl S3 Gold XXL. You only need a finish polish afterwards.

Supergus1
12-06-2018, 09:50 PM
I'll try to get a pic once the stupid sun comes out and I can clean the truck. I may be mistaken but it sounds like some of y'all are thinking its the "rock chip" protection that's down on the rocker panel (I know sometimes it may extend up to the lower section of the doors.) This definitely not that. The truck is two tone, True Blue Metallic (PBU) with silver on wheel openings and lower door/rocker panels. The silver has good gloss as does the roof, hood fenders and the top of the doors down to the upper body line. But from the upper body line down to the top of the silver the paint has little gloss with no reflective qualities, and has a low shine. SWETM's post triggered a thought: Does anyone have a picture of the door and rocker jambs of a Ram 1500 two tone that they know is factory paint? I'd like to compare how the silver on the lower body was masked off in the jambs.

MattPersman
12-07-2018, 06:52 AM
I can probably come up with one shortly just gotta walk the lot and see what we have. May not be silver as it’s not a popular 2 tone color around here at the moment. Seen more walnut this year and the people have been digging it

chet31
12-07-2018, 11:52 PM
CarPro makes velvet and denim pads for this, I've never used them. Are you sure it's not some kind of chip resistant paint?? Being on in that area it could be.

I had some orange peel from a repair. The denim pads w/ Meg's M105 took care of it quickly. Couple of things. 1.) The pads cut quickly, be careful. 2.) The pads become clogged and useless after just 3-4 passes. The pads clogging was a good thing. I threw them in the laundry and forced myself to take a couple days and evaluate what I had done, whether I wanted to do more cutting, etc. But I noticed significantly more reflection after just one session and decided to leave well enough alone. The 3" pads are great for RIDS, BTW.

Supergus1
12-08-2018, 06:37 PM
I can probably come up with one shortly just gotta walk the lot and see what we have. May not be silver as it’s not a popular 2 tone color around here at the moment. Seen more walnut this year and the people have been digging it

Thanks Matt, I'd appreciate it.

Supergus1
12-08-2018, 06:40 PM
I had some orange peel from a repair. The denim pads w/ Meg's M105 took care of it quickly. Couple of things. 1.) The pads cut quickly, be careful. 2.) The pads become clogged and useless after just 3-4 passes. The pads clogging was a good thing. I threw them in the laundry and forced myself to take a couple days and evaluate what I had done, whether I wanted to do more cutting, etc. But I noticed significantly more reflection after just one session and decided to leave well enough alone. The 3" pads are great for RIDS, BTW.

I have a feeling that's what mine is. Since both doors on the driver's side have the OP between the upper and lower body lines but not the fender or bed side I think it may have been sideswiped or something similar. I'll look into the denim pads. Thanks.