PDA

View Full Version : Will this be polished off?

detailnoob
11-29-2018, 03:08 AM
Long story short, my car was vandalized and I got the panels involved repainted.

Picked the car up today and I realised there was a 10x10 cm glistening patch on one of the panel. I was wondering whether it can be polished out or not.

Heres the video:
Dropbox - IMG_0862.MOV (https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1d78649caveyn0/IMG_0862.MOV?dl=0)

Its very hard to see the defect, but imagine what you see at 0:25 as a patch that's about 10 x 10 cm

Cheers

Bruno Soares
11-29-2018, 09:19 AM
That may be just different orange peel texture. Hard to tell with just a video (for me anyways) but it could be possible that it's fixed with compounding or some wet sanding. The overall state of that car seems pretty hammered so it might be due for a full detail anyways.

itsgn
11-29-2018, 07:04 PM
Heres the video:
Dropbox - IMG_0862.MOV (https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1d78649caveyn0/IMG_0862.MOV?dl=0)
I don't think can be polished off/away. I think what we see here is the result of lazy prep or blending. The body shop most likely didn't repaint the whole panel, only parts of it, and those defects are the blending marks, where the old and new paint "merge". Or if they did repaint the full panel, then they did miss out on some areas (where the defects are) when following up with higher and higher grit sandpapers, and the defects you see are the results of that inappropriate prep.

SWETM
11-30-2018, 08:24 AM
Is that a new painted panel? Or an old with defects on it?

This is only by guess as it's hard to determind without doing some testing on the paint first. But if that is a new painted panel. They seems to be have at it with a rotary polisher in some way. So the whole panel would be polished anyways. Where I see what is like increase of swirl marks. It can be that they used the polisher more on that spot to correct something. You can look for buffing trailing marks around the outer places of the patch of heavier defects. If those are present you might be able to buff them out. Much depends on the depth of the defects there. Or you might need to be wet sanded off.
If you see the outer places of the patch of heavier defects and no really toning down before you get to the lesser defects. It could be they wet sanded it and didn't get the wet sanding marks out with the polisher. Or if you are unlucky it can be wet sanding marks under the clearcoat or in one of the clearcoat layers. That you will see when you try to compounding them and you correct everything around that spot and that spot of heavier defects is like before but with a smoother finnish on top.

I would be carefull of doing anything before you decide to not go back to the Bodyshop. Cause if you try and don't succed they can blame on you. So if you where to go back to the Bodyshop I would do that first thing. And it's seems like it's a bad prep work and or finishing work. If it's a new painted panel that is.

If it's not a new painted panel. I would do a test spot with a polish and a polishing pad. And move up in aggressiveness of pads and polish. Aka test spot and see how the paint reacts with them.

And this is only guessing from my end. Hope you get it sorted out.

/Tony

detailnoob
11-30-2018, 09:02 AM
That may be just different orange peel texture. Hard to tell with just a video (for me anyways) but it could be possible that it's fixed with compounding or some wet sanding. The overall state of that car seems pretty hammered so it might be due for a full detail anyways.

I kept telling them that I will wash my own car but they never listen and added more swirls zzz....

I don't think can be polished off/away. I think what we see here is the result of lazy prep or blending. The body shop most likely didn't repaint the whole panel, only parts of it, and those defects are the blending marks, where the old and new paint "merge". Or if they did repaint the full panel, then they did miss out on some areas (where the defects are) when following up with higher and higher grit sandpapers, and the defects you see are the results of that inappropriate prep.

That's what I worry about the most ... if its something to do with the paint itself it'll be a pain in the arse to fix...

Is that a new painted panel? Or an old with defects on it?

This is only by guess as it's hard to determind without doing some testing on the paint first. But if that is a new painted panel. They seems to be have at it with a rotary polisher in some way. So the whole panel would be polished anyways. Where I see what is like increase of swirl marks. It can be that they used the polisher more on that spot to correct something. You can look for buffing trailing marks around the outer places of the patch of heavier defects. If those are present you might be able to buff them out. Much depends on the depth of the defects there. Or you might need to be wet sanded off.
If you see the outer places of the patch of heavier defects and no really toning down before you get to the lesser defects. It could be they wet sanded it and didn't get the wet sanding marks out with the polisher. Or if you are unlucky it can be wet sanding marks under the clearcoat or in one of the clearcoat layers. That you will see when you try to compounding them and you correct everything around that spot and that spot of heavier defects is like before but with a smoother finnish on top.

I would be carefull of doing anything before you decide to not go back to the Bodyshop. Cause if you try and don't succed they can blame on you. So if you where to go back to the Bodyshop I would do that first thing. And it's seems like it's a bad prep work and or finishing work. If it's a new painted panel that is.

If it's not a new painted panel. I would do a test spot with a polish and a polishing pad. And move up in aggressiveness of pads and polish. Aka test spot and see how the paint reacts with them.

And this is only guessing from my end. Hope you get it sorted out.

/Tony

I know it sounds absurd given the swirl marks, but on paper it's supposed to be a newly painted panel ... To my eyes, it looks like a clear coat defect because I only can see it if I tilt my head at a certain angle, but like you said its hard to know whether its from the superficial layer or not without testing it. I definitely will be bringing it back and see whether they can buff them out or not ... If not I might get them to re-do the panel ...

SWETM
11-30-2018, 09:14 AM
I would also take it back and see what they are saying about it. It's sad to be doing. But it would be a better work than that only looking at your video.

Tell us how it whent when you have been there. And a big good luck!

/Tony