PDA

View Full Version : Opinion wanted: would you bother getting this repainted?

TheRealBFKR
11-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

I got the buttress section of rear quarter panel of my BRZ repainted a couple of months ago (I struck through paint while compounding).

Overall, I am feeling pretty meh with the repaint. The entire passenger side sail + quarter + rocker panel (which are connected) were re-cleared, while the area around the boo boo was recolored, with the color blended out through the buttress section of the rear quarter panel. The clearcoat job looked good, except the edge where the new clear ends around the rear wheel arch is not great (this I can live with)

What has been bugging me is that I realized that the re-colored section of the buttress is too light in color. Whereas the rest of the car has more of a purple-ish hue, the section is either too green or lacking in this purple hue. It looks almost perfect in the day light, but is more noticeable under artificial lighting.

The first two pictures are after, the last one is reference photo from before the repaint (note the sticker covering up the boo boo)
Too green? - Album on Imgur (https://imgur.com/gallery/TcFf5AW?s=fbm&fbclid=IwAR0mhUf4ZXn4h22NAMnC-gT9hfkKDVcTwmkAaFgorDdZXmJdHVF0GlHWd18)

None of my friends commented on it before I pointed it out.

Would you bother with another repaint??(especially if I have to foot the bill again? after this experience, i think i should cut my losses and not deal with the same shop again, lest the affected area spread out) or should I just go out and enjoy my affordable sports car that had pretty soft/thin (although good looking) paint from the factory to begin with.

FWIW, the color is a tri-coat pearl paint called World Rally Blue.

spazzz
11-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Looks good from here.

Spend your money on new wheels or performance mods.

Sizzle Chest
11-28-2018, 07:28 PM
I'm sure you notice it yourself as well as it may look different in person, but your pictures seem to look pretty darn good!

LSNAutoDetailing
11-28-2018, 07:43 PM
Ditto what everyone has said. Save the money and do more mods..

JKDesign
11-29-2018, 08:44 AM
Leave it alone! Repainting it again will only add unnecessary film build/thickness which in itself can lead to premature failure of the paint.

As for an explanation of what you are seeing: World Rally Blue has a dramatic FLOP. The pearl in pearl paints are tiny little metal flakes made from different combinations of alloy that give off different hues depending on the color of the pearl. Like a flake of metal it has two sides- so naturally as the paint dries it hardens into a position which causes it to reflect two different light sources- thus we see this as the paint appearing a different color depending on what angle we look at it. Thus referred to as FLOP.

For the location of the strike-through a minimum of 24 inches of area is needed in all directions (this is for a medium to dark colored metallic pearl paint), out from the strike through (so 48 inches plus the width of the strike-through equals total area needed for the color coat), to properly blend out the pearl for a smooth transition- as a human painter cannot reproduce a spray pattern of a robot- and a human painter cannot guarantee that the pearl particles will fall, land, and harden into the same orientation/pattern that it does at the factory. The trunk lid is within that 24 inches from the edge of the strike through so technically it should've been blended into as well- thus allowing more space for that transition.

Yes that was a long winded response- but the answer is no, do not have them repaint it again and do not have them just blend the trunk lid separately.

TheRealBFKR
11-29-2018, 03:48 PM
Leave it alone! Repainting it again will only add unnecessary film build/thickness which in itself can lead to premature failure of the paint.

As for an explanation of what you are seeing: World Rally Blue has a dramatic FLOP. The pearl in pearl paints are tiny little metal flakes made from different combinations of alloy that give off different hues depending on the color of the pearl. Like a flake of metal it has two sides- so naturally as the paint dries it hardens into a position which causes it to reflect two different light sources- thus we see this as the paint appearing a different color depending on what angle we look at it. Thus referred to as FLOP.

For the location of the strike-through a minimum of 24 inches of area is needed in all directions (this is for a medium to dark colored metallic pearl paint), out from the strike through (so 48 inches plus the width of the strike-through equals total area needed for the color coat), to properly blend out the pearl for a smooth transition- as a human painter cannot reproduce a spray pattern of a robot- and a human painter cannot guarantee that the pearl particles will fall, land, and harden into the same orientation/pattern that it does at the factory. The trunk lid is within that 24 inches from the edge of the strike through so technically it should've been blended into as well- thus allowing more space for that transition.

Yes that was a long winded response- but the answer is no, do not have them repaint it again and do not have them just blend the trunk lid separately.

Thanks for the really detailed response. Is it for sure the flop? They gave me a bottle of touch-up paint, which is from the same batch of paint they mixed, and the color itself seems too green, even in the bottle.

Luckily, the affected area is sort of on its own complicated surface, so I don't think people would see it unless I specifically point it out.

JKDesign
11-29-2018, 03:55 PM
It very well may be too green as well- just can't really tell from the photos.

TheRealBFKR
11-29-2018, 04:00 PM
Thanks! If that's the case, is it worth having a professional at least look at it and ask if s/he can do better?