PDA

View Full Version : Stains/darkening of Light Flint leather

POPPAJ
02-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I finally figured out what is causing the staining/darkening on the drivers seat leather. It's dye transfer from the black leather jacket that I wear most of the time and I expect it's worse if the jacket is damp or wet(Michigan weather). I've tried several cleaners and cleaner/conditioners and the best I get is a slight improvement. The passenger seat and rear seats look like new and I am at the point where I would get the drivers seat re-done if I can't get the community to offer some sugestions on how to restore the seat without destroying it.
It's a 2003 Mercury Marauder. THANKS!Feed back please

TOGWT
02-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Use the cleaner to see if it will remove the dye transfer, and then use a leather protection product to avoid repeating (products are Leather Master’s)

Strong Effect Cleaner - highly efficient for cleaning leather that is very dirty (will also clean ‘blue jean stains) and water based stains of any kind. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc (for regular cleaning use Soft Cleaner)

Alternative cleaning solution - use a formula that is used by one of the major tanneries to clean their leather - 3% Woolite®, 10% Isopropyl alcohol and the balance distilled water.

Protection –
Protection is an essential element in leather care; abrasivedirt / grit, brought in from the outside via the A/C system and ultra violet radiation (UVR) especially a Roadster’s upholstery. Protection should be applied the first day and thereafter 2 - 4 times per year (dependant upon local climate). It makes it easier to clean and remove any accidental spills, ink marks etc. Being water-based it helps hydration by balancing the necessary moisture level of all leather types (except Nubuck). Although it’s primary purpose is to act as a barrier between the leather surface and any soils that may settle on it. Do not use a weather / water proofing product, as this will not allow a water-based product to permeate.

POPPAJ
02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Use the cleaner to see if it will remove the dye transfer, and then use a leather protection product to avoid repeating (products are Leather Master’s)

Strong Effect Cleaner - highly efficient for cleaning leather that is very dirty (will also clean ‘blue jean stains) and water based stains of any kind. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc (for regular cleaning use Soft Cleaner)

Alternative cleaning solution - use a formula that is used by one of the major tanneries to clean their leather - 3% Woolite®, 10% Isopropyl alcohol and the balance distilled water.

Protection –
Protection is an essential element in leather care; abrasivedirt / grit, brought in from the outside via the A/C system and ultra violet radiation (UVR) especially a Roadster’s upholstery. Protection should be applied the first day and thereafter 2 - 4 times per year (dependant upon local climate). It makes it easier to clean and remove any accidental spills, ink marks etc. Being water-based it helps hydration by balancing the necessary moisture level of all leather types (except Nubuck). Although it’s primary purpose is to act as a barrier between the leather surface and any soils that may settle on it. Do not use a weather / water proofing product, as this will not allow a water-based product to permeate.

Master,

My most humblest of thanks for once again pointing to the path of knowledge and results.

Respectfully,

grasshopper