PDA

View Full Version : What is this on the glass??

Pages : [1] 2

GASCo
11-27-2018, 06:16 PM
We just bought this new (to us) car from a BMW dealership (Schomp BMW, in Denver). The car is a Corvette, and the dealership swears they didn't apply anything to the the glass of the car. Clearly you can see that the product was applied there because they didn't even take the price sticker from the windshield to apply it. You can clearly see clean glass where the sticker was but all the rest of the glass has this applied to. And I want it gone, ASAP, because it is horrible.

I tried to take pictures but it just doesn't show up. I might try with a real camera maybe if really necessary, but I will try o describe what it looks like and what I've tried so far.

The product is applied to all windows but the effect is worse in the windshield and back window. The driver side window is bad but not too distractive. The passenger side window has the product but it is barely noticeable...

The effect you have when looking through the glass is as if had some kind of resin sprayed over it but the spray was globby, i.e. you can see the little individual globs of "resin"stuck to the window, as opposed to a flat coat. The result of this is incredible distortion, especially at night. Looking through the glass is like if your eyes where all watery. Looking from the rearview mirror it feels like the back window is made of cheap plastic by how much it distorts the image.

I tried to remove it three ways. First with a DA and Meguiars rubbing compound on an orange pad to no avail. Absolutely no effect. I then added some orange pumice cleaner to the rubbing compound and still noticed almost no difference. Next day I came with comet cleaner using the same DA and pad to try being more aggressive and I can say that after about 20 minutes on the windshield only I was able to improve the image quality by maybe 20%... It would take the whole day to go around the car on every glass, and the rear glass is not easy to access.

Question is, does anybody know what that might be and most importantly, how can I get rid of it?? It is horrible to just have bought a new car and not be excited to drive it because of such a silly thing. The sales guy at Schomp told me that the only thing they could have applied is Crystal Fusion but they would charge for that. I looked up Crystal fusion online and it does not look like the same thing since it is not applied as a spray... He is a sales guys with the sale done, so obviously he doesn't care about the problem anymore. Anyway I am just sick of dealing of those clowns and would prefer to just solve the problem myself....

LSNAutoDetailing
11-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Without knowing what it is you're trying to remove, it makes it difficult to offer suggestions. My suggestion would be CarPro CeriGlass with CarPro Rayon or denim pads...

MikeC78
11-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Have you tried removing it with a razor blade?

GASCo
11-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Thanks LSN!

Yes, I'd love to them to tell me what that is. And I noticed they have it in all their cars. I believe it is something to make the glass shiny from the outside so they look pretty on the parking lot. The windows are really super shiny from distance....

GASCo
11-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Have you tried removing it with a razor blade?

Not yet! Should I pay any special attention to blading the glass? I'd assume the glass is tough enough for resisting scraping as long as I don't force the corners of the blade, right?

LSNAutoDetailing
11-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Thanks LSN!

Yes, I'd love to them to tell me what that is. And I noticed they have it in all their cars. I believe it is something to make the glass shiny from the outside so they look pretty on the parking lot. The windows are really super shiny from distance....

You may never know... If the vehicle was used, odds are previous owner did some kind of coating and it's interfering with the light refraction causing the impairment. Is the vision worse at night? If so, it's plausibly a pretty stout coating, or one not formulated for glass.

I particularly do not install coatings on wind-screens for just just this reason. I've been asked and I refuse. I don't want to apply anything that takes an act of congress to remove, and may impair a drivers night-vision.

Typically Pinnacle Chrystal Vision Glass Cleaner w/ Water Repellent gets rave reviews from my customers. It's not long term, but I give them a sample and lead them to the source. :)

MikeC78
11-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Not yet! Should I pay any special attention to blading the glass? I'd assume the glass is tough enough for resisting scraping as long as I don't force the corners of the blade, right?

Yes, just don't try to force the blade in the glass like a gorilla and you should be good. ;) You could try using a soapy-watery solution to help glide it along.

If you can get by scraping it off, I'd go that route over using ceriglass if you can. Polishing glass can be a mess.

itsgn
11-27-2018, 09:25 PM
There are also blades made of plastic, which - depending on the material you're trying to remove - might not be "sturdy" enough, but you'll run even less chance to scratch the glass, than with a steel one. Essentially your only chance to do so will be when something gets caught between the plastic blade and the glass.

Also, angle is more important to avoid harming the glass. It should be pretty low (meaning as close to parallel to the glass surface as possible), and also make sure you're not trying to scratch with the corners only, but the full edge. The former happens when you press down on the blade and the inner part of it actually bends away, leaving the blade resting mostly on its two corners.

That said, unless this stuff you're trying to remove is somehow sticky or otherwise not fully solid and cured, I'd rather suggest going in with either the above recommended CarPro Ceriglass or with Gtechniq G4 instead (of the blade), which are dedicated glass polishes, and should not only be able to remove any cured and hard substance or resin from the glass in a far more gentle and more uniform way than a blade, but actually even enhance the appearance of the glass and prep it for another coating in the very same step.

Also no need to use these polishes on a machine, because as long as you only want to remove some coating - and not actually correct the glass - a hand polisher and application by hand are more than enough to achieve that goal. And it will save you the mess what polishing the glass with a machine might cause.

Mantilgh
11-28-2018, 10:02 AM
I wonder if this is some clear coat overspray.

Maybe from some previous work, or sitting in a backyard body shop or something. Or worse, someone did a quick job and didn’t mask off anything.

I’d imagine it is also on the paint, you just may have a harder time seeing it.

I kinda doubt the dealership is spraying some durable glass coating on all the vehicles.

GASCo
11-28-2018, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the answers guys. I haven't had the opportunity to try scraping it yet (got a herniated disc in my back, it's been hard to get motivated to do anything after I get home from work). But will do soon and report back. If i find it too hard I will switch to the glass polishes as suggested by itsgn. I assume they are far more aggressive than comet cleaner, right?

I don't believe it might be clearcoat overspray because I am somehow familiar with automotive painting. The globs are way too big for the thin fog clearcoat should be applied.

I really think it is not a treatment for water. It looks like it is something they put on to hide scratches and streaks on the glass. I am pretty sure that I sat in vehicles inside the showroom that had the same thing applied. Of course I didn't pay much attention. I though at the time it was some greasy stuff on the glass only...

GASCo
11-29-2018, 08:11 PM
Finally I was able to get out and try the razor. Unfortunately it just slides right on the surface and doesn’t even touch the goo. I was able to take pictures and a video. Guess next step is polishing as suggested, then! I can see that there are quite a bit of scratches on the glass caused by the wipers so I might be killing two stones with one bird hopefully!

Picture of the unaffected area:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181130/c68e13068cd091a74ac602c89bcc4d0d.jpg

Picture of the affected area (and the clear line dividing them:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181130/19414d1c764f2b341a2185d17fd199c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsgn
11-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Looks like some resin type overspray to me. Anyway, if it's hard enough, you should be able to get it off the glass using some kind of polish. You might have to work for a while on it though, because to me it seems like it's at least a few dozen microns thick. Then again, hard to tell just by going by pictures.

rlmccarty2000
11-29-2018, 10:42 PM
I would try CarPro Ceriglass and some rayon pads to cut through that mess.

GASCo
11-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Would this be the right combo? I only have a harbor freight DA with a 6" backing plate. Can I get away with that or I really need a 5" backing plate for these pads? I know it was said I could do it by hand, but with my back problems I'd rather have the machine doing the work. Moreover, I'd rather work this hard into the glass as well to get rid of any scratches (I can see quite a few through the goop)

CarPro Ceriglass Kit, glass polish, water spot remover (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-kit.html#_ga=2.186084906.222890305.1543613228-825742672.1543613228&_gac=1.191397464.1543613228.Cj0KCQiA3IPgBRCAARIsAB b-iGKhpox5zdBx9_qNopynYMpzSo16nyLNdY0xKAJC3humTRuqmO 0K7m0aAvFoEALw_wcB)

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-rayon-glass-polishing-pad.html#_ga=2.72183696.222890305.1543613228-825742672.1543613228&_gac=1.47534421.1543613228.Cj0KCQiA3IPgBRCAARIsABb-iGKhpox5zdBx9_qNopynYMpzSo16nyLNdY0xKAJC3humTRuqmO 0K7m0aAvFoEALw_wcB)

itsgn
11-30-2018, 05:22 PM
The stuff you have *on* the glass might come off even with a regular polishing (cutting) compound (obviously depending on what material it is of). You'd only need Ceriglass and a rayon pad if you were to polish the glass itself, or if the substance on the glass would be so hard that only a similarly hard glass polishing compound would be able to cut it.

But yes, if you want or need a glass polish, then the CarPro rayon pad and Ceriglass are the way to go. However, you might not need the kit you've linked to if you're using the pad anyway, but only the compound itself (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-polish.html).