PDA

View Full Version : SiO2 and Duragloss

JJDO
11-20-2018, 01:32 PM
So, I've been off the detailing forums for quite sometime but have recently run out of several products and would like to try some new stuff. Looking for some opinions.

Vehicles:
Daily drivers: Black Tesla Model S, White Explorer
Garage Queen: Gray 427 Corvette

I'm not one for washing my vehicles with two buckets and a sponge. I entertain myself most commonly with Meguiars D115. I find it does a great job, provides adequate protection and is really easy to use. I probably wash my vehicles about once / week. I live in FL so winter is of no concern. I've worked my way through a gallon of D115 and would like to go back to the Duragloss line for a bit.

I'm not into the ceramics as I feel it's not really needed for someone like myself who can't stop waxing, so I've decided I like the beading and protection of the SiO2 products; I would probably purchase the BF. Now, from a washing perspective, I was thinking of purchasing DG #932 Rinseless with Aquawax.

Any reason why these two would not work together?

Other thoughts include Sonus SFX 4 with DG 932.

Any thoughts or comments regarding the appearance, compatibility of the products in question would be appreciated.
JJ

Eldorado2k
11-20-2018, 02:04 PM
So, I've been off the detailing forums for quite sometime but have recently run out of several products and would like to try some new stuff. Looking for some opinions.

Vehicles:
Daily drivers: Black Tesla Model S, White Explorer
Garage Queen: Gray 427 Corvette

I'm not one for washing my vehicles with two buckets and a sponge. I entertain myself most commonly with Meguiars D115. I find it does a great job, provides adequate protection and is really easy to use. I probably wash my vehicles about once / week. I live in FL so winter is of no concern. I've worked my way through a gallon of D115 and would like to go back to the Duragloss line for a bit.

I'm not into the ceramics as I feel it's not really needed for someone like myself who can't stop waxing, so I've decided I like the beading and protection of the SiO2 products; I would probably purchase the BF. Now, from a washing perspective, I was thinking of purchasing DG #932 Rinseless with Aquawax.

Any reason why these two would not work together?

Other thoughts include Sonus SFX 4 with DG 932.

Any thoughts or comments regarding the appearance, compatibility of the products in question would be appreciated.
JJ

At what dilution did you use the Megs D115?

I’ve got a buddy who I turned onto waterless washing with D115 after I fully detailed his vehicle over 3yrs. ago. He hasn’t done a single bucket wash since and it’s made things alot easier since he can just do a quik wipedown twice per week. The amazing thing is that after 3yrs. his paint is still smooth and when I went to clay it there was absolutely no contaminants on the paint. I was pretty impressed to say the least. I told him “just continue doing what you’re doing”[emoji108][emoji2534]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181120/10d81e16cf7c066b780d37ad69b0009d.jpg

I doubt those Si02 products can protect on a high level. Beading is 1 thing, protection is another. I’ve tested many products that bead decent but don’t protect worth a lick. My definition of protection is preventing contaminants from bonding to it or the paint. If it can’t do that then I want no part of it.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.[emoji4]

FUNX650
11-20-2018, 02:08 PM
I'm not into the ceramics...
so I've decided I like the beading and
protection of the SiO2 products;

•Food for thought:
-SiO2 is an oxide, which is contributed
by many Ceramic materials.

I would probably purchase the BF.

Now, from a washing perspective,
I was thinking of purchasing DG
#932 Rinseless with Aquawax.
Any reason why these two would
not work together?

Other thoughts include Sonus SFX 4
with DG 932.

Any thoughts or comments regarding the
appearance, compatibility of the products
in question would be appreciated.

•I have never heard where DG #932
has ever been incompatible with any
previously applied LSP—whether it be
Waxes, Sealants, or Coatings.

Bob

JJDO
11-20-2018, 07:46 PM
At what dilution did you use the Megs D115?

I was using as directed at 1:4 but recently read it could be diluted much more and still used without problem

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Easier said than done. As enthusiast detailers, I think we're always looking for something new, different, or better. I suspect the SiO2 sealants protect quite well, but I'll never know until I try. As for the DG, I used it regularly about 5-7 years ago. I ran out and moved on to something new; perhaps is was the Meguiar's.

•Food for thought:
-SiO2 is an oxide, which is contributed
by many Ceramic materials.

Thanks for the info.

•I have never heard where DG #932 has ever been incompatible with any previously applied LSP—whether it be Waxes, Sealants, or Coatings.
Bob

Nor have I. Just looking for clarification /recommendation.

JJ

AZpolisher15
11-20-2018, 07:54 PM
The DG Rinseless is great when used on the BF SiO2 Spray Sealant.