PDA

View Full Version : Why did this thread get pulled....,?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

OCD-tailing
11-20-2018, 08:31 AM
I've been following this thread, along with many others, and it seems to have disappeared. When I did find it the error message said it had been moved and I didn't have the credentials to view the thread. It was linked in another thread this morning and it wouldn't open there either. Anyone know why???

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/121449-feel-like-i-duped-here-detailing-ceramic.html

Justin at Final Inspection
11-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Probably got out of hand. Was following it too

Setec Astronomy
11-20-2018, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the shop that did the work complained--they were named (and shamed) in the thread.

Calendyr
11-20-2018, 09:48 AM
I can understand. I really hate stuff like that. Doctors call it long distance diagnostics. I try to keep a very balanced approach to this kind of things because you are only getting one side of the story. It's the new way of doing things now, people go on public forums to resolve issues they have with 1 person or company. The problem with that is that it creates liability for the forum's owners.

I hope the original poster will find a solution for his problem.

BudgetPlan1
11-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Twas an interesting tale of woe & Caveat Emptor...bummer for the OP though...what a mess.

I wouldn't be surprised if the shop that did the work complained--they were named (and shamed) in the thread.

Could be although they sure seemed like a mess as well. Who know, though...2 sides to every story.

Setec Astronomy
11-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Could be although they sure seemed like a mess as well. Who know, though...2 sides to every story.

Regardless, the OP told us that he told the shop about the thread, and maybe even showed/linked them...it was bad PR for them and it would be unsurprising if they asked for it to be pulled, or as Calendyr alluded to, perhaps the management here preemptively pulled it.

As Poorboy Steve once said at one of his detail days, about the (at that time new--this was probably 2005 or 2006) trend of using spotlights to look for swirls while polishing: "if someone sees your car and it looks nice they're not going bring out a light to make sure if it looks nice with that" (sorry Steve if I butchered that, it was a long time ago). I think Frank S. also mentioned something recently about Mike Phillips joking with him similarly.

So although it is common for us 'Geeks to go to extreme measures to check our work, I wouldn't be surprised if the shop in question had never seen/had anyone do that and thinks it's the stupidest, most unfair thing in the world (to take videos in a dark garage with a flashlight on the paint). As Mike Phillips has noted, detailers who frequent detail forums are way more informed than those that don't, and as is the case in many technical fields, it can be quite jarring if you don't keep up for someone to point out, when you think you are at the top of your game, that you're not.

dlc95
11-20-2018, 11:06 AM
It was a very informative thread though. A great learning experience for the shop management if they chose to take the direction of improvement.

Mentioning the name was probably unnecessary, and the cause for the removal

Setec Astronomy
11-20-2018, 11:10 AM
It was a very informative thread though. A great learning experience for the shop management of they chose to take the direction of improvement.

They didn't sound like they were taking it as a learning experience. The reality is, if their market is satisfied with the price/quality of their work, there isn't really a reason for them to change, and it provides an opportunity for a 'Geek to service the more discriminating customers in that area.

infosponge
11-20-2018, 11:51 AM
In for answers...

dlc95
11-20-2018, 12:04 PM
They didn't sound like they were taking it as a learning experience. The reality is, if their market is satisfied with the price/quality of their work, there isn't really a reason for them to change, and it provides an opportunity for a 'Geek to service the more discriminating customers in that area.

Hence the "if".

RZJZA80
11-20-2018, 12:10 PM
So a shop can ask for a customers experience thread to be pulled because they were named for their subpar work and it'll actually get pulled? I really hope not, threads like that keep shops honest.

I think perhaps the customer asked for it to be deleted, maybe as part of a deal with the shop to get a refund.

Setec Astronomy
11-20-2018, 12:44 PM
So a shop can ask for a customers experience thread to be pulled because they were named for their subpar work and it'll actually get pulled? I really hope not, threads like that keep shops honest. I think perhaps the customer asked for it to be deleted, maybe as part of a deal with the shop to get a refund.

I think you underestimate the liability concerns that Calendyr mentioned. AG/PBMG really has no reason to expose themselves to a lawsuit, they are in the business of selling detailing products, they're not Yelp, they have no "duty" to keep shops honest.

From the shop's perspective, they went over and above, did the work twice, they are the authority, the customer was some uninformed loony who took some information from the internet and applied it incorrectly to the situation.

MattPersman
11-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Bad thing is today’s world businesses are paying people to remove bad social media reviews or to post favorable ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
11-20-2018, 01:09 PM
The funny thing about this, is here in the 'Geek court, the shop is guilty of malpractice. But out in the real world, with the CC company or in small claims court, here's a company that's been in business for decades, huge impressive client list, has pictures of 3 people working on the car...the complainant has a cell-phone video with a flashlight in a dark garage and some people on an online forum...who do you think is going to prevail?

MikeC78
11-20-2018, 01:18 PM
The funny thing about this, is here in the 'Geek court, the shop is guilty of malpractice. But out in the real world, with the CC company or in small claims court, here's a company that's been in business for decades, huge impressive client list, has pictures of 3 people working on the car...the complainant has a cell-phone video with a flashlight in a dark garage and some people on an online forum...who do you think is going to prevail?

The customer who received an email saying he was to receive a refund. :)