PDA

View Full Version : best rinseless wash for winter?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

bryanviper
11-17-2018, 01:12 PM
hey guys,

Winter is here and I usually go to the coin wash where I just spray down my car get most of the dirt/snow/slush off and away I go. It does not leave my paint perfect even with Ceramic Coating on it but its decent.

So this winter I was thinking of trying a Rinse less wash. My car is parked outside (no garage) so I would be washing my car outside in below freezing temps.

Any suggestions for this to minimize scratching? Also guessing I should defiantly do the 2 bucket system & warm water.

Thanks

FUNX650
11-17-2018, 01:43 PM
So this winter I was thinking of trying a
Rinse less wash. My car is parked outside
(no garage) so I would be washing my car
outside in below freezing temps.

Any suggestions for this to minimize scratching?
Also guessing I should defiantly do the 2 bucket
system & warm water.

Thanks
Even though a rinseless wash (RW) car-wash
solution will have a somewhat lower freeze
point...IMO: depending how far below 32°
the ambient, and panel surfaces’, temperatures
actually are, will determine the overall efficacy
of an attempted Wintertime RW.

{Also:
Don’t be too surprised if you discover that
warm water freezes faster than expected.}

Personally...I’d stay with your usual
and customary Car Wash spray-down.
You did state it does a decent job on
your Coated paint.

Bob

luvmyrv
11-17-2018, 02:00 PM
I agree with Bob...being a resident of a snow bound area and winter conditions for several months of the year, I would not be doing that in below freezing temps...you will do more damage than living with the bit of grime...I have had to learn to accept that and do the best I can in winter and give it a thoriough detail in spring.

showbbq
11-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Hm this would be quite a challenge since you're parked outside. What might be doable is warm water with multiple microfiber towels. After using each clean side of a folded towel, use another. You'll end up with a stack of towels to wash but it's probably the most efficient. Use a generous amount of solution and let the towels soak for a while. Good luck!

bryanviper
11-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the posts. Maybe I should stick to coin washs as stated above. Sometimes I even take my buckets and hand wash it there when they are not busy.

BadgerRivFan
11-17-2018, 04:37 PM
You’re situation is a difficult one.

As a suggestion, check out the IK Foam 9 pump sprayer. In the winter I go to the local coin-op wash bay and foam my car with a snow foam as a prewash, and then use the high pressure rinse to rinse off all of the salt and road grime. It does a halfway decent job on removing brake dust from the wheels too.

I then head home and do a rinseless wash (in my heated garage). You don’t have the luxury of doing step 2, but using a foamer to knock off the big stuff along with a rinse would be better than a high pressure rinse alone.

glen e
11-17-2018, 05:02 PM
I agree with Al, you've got to rinse that car first. Especially if it's got really bad winter crap on it. But rinselless in gen in the winter has the potential to be far more damaging than a summer rinseless, where you're getting off Dust and fingerprints. Unless your car is coated, I'd put on a tough wax like collinite 845, and just leave it dirty unless you can get a good soaking rinse prior to touching the car.

hoyt66
11-17-2018, 08:17 PM
As long as it's sunny out you can do a ww without it freezing on the paint. within reason say to 20 degrees F

bryanviper
11-18-2018, 12:46 AM
yes my car is Ceramic Coated.

I see what you guys are saying. Will have to rinse it first at the very least in the winter.

I agree with Al, you've got to rinse that car first. Especially if it's got really bad winter crap on it. But rinselless in gen in the winter has the potential to be far more damaging than a summer rinseless, where you're getting off Dust and fingerprints. Unless your car is coated, I'd put on a tough wax like collinite 845, and just leave it dirty unless you can get a good soaking rinse prior to touching the car.

Klasse Act
11-18-2018, 12:52 PM
Your current way is the most safe, no doubt about it but you'll need to wait till upper 30's to do a RW wash, even a WW. There's many choices, Wolfgang Uber is a great choice as it's very concentrated, 1 ounce per 3 gallons of water but you can always kick it up a bit more for more lubricity.

Another option, for doing WW, is the new AMMO NYC Frothe kit. This is the only product that's a foaming WW and because of that its VERY SAFE! It has a chemical in it that actually evaporates so you don't have to worry about every single little spot, using distilled water here is the smart move also! I take this kit when I'm on the road because I need a real good, strong cleaner...this product and kit is AWESOME!

Good luck this winter[emoji300][emoji944]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bryanviper
11-18-2018, 07:23 PM
Thanks thats a great idea!! AMMO NYC Frothe kit looks perfect. I can go to the coin wash spray down the my car and get most of the dirt/salt off then come home (or even do it there if itsn ot busy) and clean off the remaining dirt/salt with the Ammo Frothe kit.

Thanks!

Your current way is the most safe, no doubt about it but you'll need to wait till upper 30's to do a RW wash, even a WW. There's many choices, Wolfgang Uber is a great choice as it's very concentrated, 1 ounce per 3 gallons of water but you can always kick it up a bit more for more lubricity.

Another option, for doing WW, is the new AMMO NYC Frothe kit. This is the only product that's a foaming WW and because of that its VERY SAFE! It has a chemical in it that actually evaporates so you don't have to worry about every single little spot, using distilled water here is the smart move also! I take this kit when I'm on the road because I need a real good, strong cleaner...this product and kit is AWESOME!

Gunny Fitz
03-29-2019, 07:58 AM

Just wanted to chime in on this Old Post. Recently bought all 3 of Larry's Kits. As an ONR User, I was so blown away by this killer Waterless Wash (Only 20oz required) that Im singing its praise everywhere I can! Hands down the best Spray On-Wipe Off product Ive EVER used. Produces a MUCH better shine, and slickness to my PPF & Ceramic Coated RC-F. I mean a SPEECHLESS finish too! Pricey = Maybe..but 110% worth every penny! ;)

Klasse Act
03-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Its truely the safest WW on the market, it's not even close and is why I take it with me on road trips because it safely removes dead bugs and road grime like a champ, that foam gets its done... PERIOD[emoji106][emoji106]

osiapstndp
03-29-2019, 01:01 PM
Its truely the safest WW on the market, it's not even close and is why I take it with me on road trips because it safely removes dead bugs and road grime like a champ, that foam gets its done... PERIOD[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkI've done countless rinseless washes over the past few years using all sorts of products, and I'm completely sold on the whole subject. But! Lately I've been a bit more interested in Ammo's Frothe product as a waterless wash. Posts like yours make me inch more toward pulling the trigger. :)

Klasse Act
03-29-2019, 01:35 PM
I've done countless rinseless washes over the past few years using all sorts of products, and I'm completely sold on the whole subject. But! Lately I've been a bit more interested in Ammo's Frothe product as a waterless wash. Posts like yours make me inch more toward pulling the trigger. :)Well, I'm not only on my 2nd bottle of Frothe but I stepped up and bought the winter boost, so when you feel you need that little extra, you have this product! FWIW I can't endorse this more and his airator is a quality product as well (yes, I know he doesn't make it). When you buy into AMMO your buying into the owner, Larry, who really does care about detailing, watch his videos and make a purchase[emoji931]