PDA

View Full Version : Does the Paint Match

Pages : [1] 2

Jbirk
11-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Due to a a moron who cannot drive... I ended up having to gave my rear quarter panel replaced. I am never impressed with body shops overall because they are all in a rush to finish production and crank out insurance money, which I completely understand. That said, I need your opinion...

They were supposed to blend the quarter. Both doors matched before the repaint as there was no door damage.

Overall, what do you folks think??? I brought it up to said shop which responded, "that's because the rest of the paint is old and this is new paint," and also, "I have the best painter in Columiba,[SC]." It has been about 30 days, and I polished the areas that were not painted with Meguiar's #105 then #205 because any "old" paint would be removed. Then I re-waxed the front...

What is your opinion? How well did they do? What would be your next step if any?

Bruno Soares
11-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Looks a little different but the lighting in there can be tricky, it's all coming from the front and will naturally make the back look darker.

Silver is also very tough to match and it might never be exactly the same :(

Jbirk
11-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Looks a little different but the lighting in there can be tricky, it's all coming from the front and will naturally make the back look darker.

Silver is also very tough to match and it might never be exactly the same :(

Yeah. Well it is darker in the back, but it is only darker in certain light conditions. Overall, is this something I should complain or shut up about?

Eldorado2k
11-13-2018, 09:56 AM
We’re going to need a better picture.. You’ve got natural light coming through the windows in the front, and a yellow garage light beaming onto the rear of the vehicle. Can’t see the true condition of the paint like that.

DasTurboWagen
11-13-2018, 10:10 AM
We’re going to need a better picture.. You’ve got natural light coming through the windows in the front, and a yellow garage light beaming onto the rear of the vehicle. Can’t see the true condition of the paint like that.

Definitely get a picture in sunlight. Especially with metallic silver, it's the best way to tell IMO. I did a touch up on my car and I thought the paint matched very well until the sun hit it. It looked like an entirely different color.

Bruno Soares
11-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Yeah. Well it is darker in the back, but it is only darker in certain light conditions. Overall, is this something I should complain or shut up about?

If you're not happy you can complain. If you used one of the body shops recommended by your insurance they will usually guarantee the job is done to your satisfaction. I'm not sure bringing it back to the same place will get it to your liking but I think it's worth a shot if you don't want to pay someone else to re-do it.

Jbirk
11-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Sorry, it is raining, but this shows it as good as I realistically can and from different angles in a constant light source.

I think if they had not blended into the door, it would have been fine. Anytime paint changes angles, nobody would notice a slight tint difference.

Koogs
11-13-2018, 12:15 PM
I'm not an expert on here, but to me there is a noticeable tint shift in the rear door as compared to the front door.

I don't know how you fix it besides a repaint. I thought generally body shops don't just go by the color printed on the door and will do some tests to see if things match prior to shooting it. IMHO, that looks a bit off and the blending almost looks like they just repainted the whole door.

Eldorado2k
11-13-2018, 12:21 PM
I see what you mean... It looks slightly darker in the rear. However I think you should be able to live with it, or at least I’d be able to live with it especially considering the fact that it survived whatever collision it was involved in and is still around to fight another day and save you the money of having to buy a whole nother car.

Have a look at my car, it should make you feel a lil better.[emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181113/d53efe6ab9f092343d0d3f3bc113f5f4.jpg

Farmallluvr
11-13-2018, 12:31 PM
I can seen a noticeable dark spot on the door,I see where they stopped 3/4 of the way towards the front,thatbwpuld drive me nuts

Eldorado2k
11-13-2018, 12:33 PM
I can seen a noticeable dark spot on the door,I see where they stopped 3/4 of the way towards the front,thatbwpuld drive me nuts

Yea but how perfect is it really if it’s already been in an accident? Just sayin.

I’ve actually never heard of a vehicle that sustained damage to the quarter panel and wasn’t “totaled”

2black1s
11-13-2018, 12:34 PM
That is the exact reason why I cringe every time I hear someone say "just respray it". Matching metallic colors is a hit or miss proposition. Some do it better than others but there is still some luck involved. And then there are times when it will never match no matter who is doing the work.

I used to be a painter and color matching problem cars/colors can be a nightmare. And like someone else said silver can be a real #####. There are times when you look at it from one angle and it will look lighter or darker, and the look at it from another angle and it will be just the opposite. It's all in how the metallic particles lay in the color coat and how they reflect the light.

You got a piss-poor color match there. What can you do about it? That's a tough question. They may be able to improve upon it if redone but there is no guarantee. Then even if they do match the color a little better, you now have an extra layer of base coat and clear coat increasing the paint film thickness and that thickness can create its own problems down the line.

Jbirk
11-13-2018, 01:48 PM
I spoke to them, and they say they will fix it by buffing it. It does have a ton of orange-peal, but in my experience it would need to be wet sanded probably starting around 2000 to 1200 increasing about 1.5 times with each grit.

Quite honestly, I could buff it, and I will probably have to do just that when they are done with it... I suspect it will have a new DISO, and if I am lucky maybe even some holo-grams.

I could wet-sand it if I was brave enough... You basically take least aggressive paper and work it until there are no more shiny spots left. Then the paint's level. Then you sand with each increasing grit. I usually go clear up to 5000. Then hit it with a compound and wool DA pad. Then compound and foam pad, and finally a foam pad and a polish.

Jbirk
11-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Took it to another shop for a second opinion. They used a color match system to put it up to the paint and get the color.

The color for the untouched areas came up K23 Liquid Platinum, and the areas they painted came up K23 brilliant silver

Simply put, my second opinion is that they sprayed the wrong K23 color variant... the darker variant.

WristyManchego
11-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Buffing it isn’t going to fix it bro, that’s a metallic mismatch and a possible colour shift. It’s all below the clearcoat.

I’d watch out for the old wet sand for the orange peel, the process you mention will yield good results but then you’ll have a mismatched door with a glass finish while the rest is basic b1itch.