PDA

View Full Version : My 21 es is hurt

boatmangc
11-13-2018, 06:43 AM
I haven't been detailing my stuff for over a year, My home was pounded by Hurricane Irma in the Fl Keys 9/9/17. Since then my life has been in a major change mode, had to gut the house, rebuild it then I sold it and moved. I lost tons of stuff in the storm (350K uninsured losses) on top of what was insured.
My Rupes got wet but when we got power back on it ran so I figured I was OK.
I have been maintaining my vehicles paint with Hydrofoam washes for the last year as I had no time or place to do any more than that.
My black Cadillac V wagon spent 6 months out in the S Florida sun, it had a year old coat of CQuartz UK on it but it wasn't enough to save it form birds, leaves etc.
I have decided to sell the car and now that my garage is complete in my new location. (NE Ga mountains to be precise). I deconned the paint and brought it in last night to begin the correction.
My Rupes ran for maybe 5 minutes before the speed controller went absolutely whacko. the motor sounds fine but I can't set a wheel speed and at the end of my session it was running wide open.....

Anybody got a used one for sale or a burned up one for parts?

Mike Phillips
11-13-2018, 07:41 AM
Sorry to here of your losses...

My Rupes ran for maybe 5 minutes before the speed controller went absolutely whacko.

the motor sounds fine but I can't set a wheel speed and at the end of my session it was running wide open.....

If nothing else you could use it on the 6 setting i.e. wide-open. That's where I tend to run all my tools anyways.

Maybe a full detail session would warm-up or heat up the tool plus just being used to bring the speed controller back to operational function?

Besides that, contact RUPES.

:)

boatmangc
11-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Thanks Mike, it was saltwater....Heat aint gonna do it.

boatmangc
11-15-2018, 04:48 PM
And to add insult to injury my Flex 3403 is dead too..Hurricanes suck!

PaulMys
11-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Yup, not many pieces of electronics can survive being immersed in salt water. :(

Tarheelplayr5
11-16-2018, 04:43 PM
And to add insult to injury my Flex 3403 is dead too..Hurricanes suck!

Is this how you make your living? I have an extra DA polisher i could send down your way if it would help out.

Rsurfer
11-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Is this how you make your living? I have an extra DA polisher i could send down your way if it would help out.

Nice of you playr.

boatmangc
11-17-2018, 08:53 AM

I am a hobbyist, Thank you for your offer. I THINK my PC still works, I will find out today.

boatmangc
11-17-2018, 08:58 AM
Has anyone opened up their Rupes? It appears to be fine except for speed control. The control module is about $100.
I will be posting on the Flex Forum looking for parts for my 3403 too.
Neither of these polishers have high mileage. The Flex has maybe 6 Hrs. use the Rupes maybe 20 Hrs.

Methodical
11-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Boatmangc, it would be far cheaper to just have Rupes repair under the flat rate repair program. They will replace the electric module, brushes and many other items for a flat rate of $95 and it includes shipping both ways. They will email you a shipping label. As you note, the electric module alone is $96 (See link below). Something to consider.

Rupes Flat Rate Repair Program (https://rupesusa.com/repairs/)

Btw, I opened the Rupes 21 and the module would be an easy fix, you'd have to cut and splice the power cord into it, but that's it as the other connections are just plug and play.