PDA

View Full Version : Put Stripes on Before Ceramic

mrmarkmac
11-08-2018, 06:54 PM
I'm considering putting stripes on my new mustang, and just wondering if I should put them on prior to adding a ceramic, or after?

hoyt66
11-08-2018, 07:25 PM
I think before. Coating is so slick I don't think would adhere properly. I replaced my stripes and coated after. Kind of a pain but I taped the stripes before coating as to not corrupt the matte finish. I have read that some will coat over them too.

mrmarkmac
11-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Thanks. I’m actually looking at matte stripes (black) on grey paint. I didn’t even consider the ceramic may add gloss to the matte.

hoyt66
11-09-2018, 05:26 AM
That's exactly why I replaced mine. I was not careful enough with the matte finish and eventually took the matte away and the stripes had a low gloss to them. Now the only time i touch the stripes is with

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant removes dirt and grime from matte finishes without adding gloss. This advanced formula also protects the (https://www.autogeek.net/matte-finish-cleaner-protectant.html) and a plush micro fiber

itsgn
11-09-2018, 02:23 PM
I think before. Coating is so slick I don't think would adhere properly.
In my experience regular ceramic coatings (not toppers though) themselves don't seem to affect glues or paint, or at least not to a degree where it would be problematic and evident that they stick less to the surface. That said I don't think either it would make sense to apply the coating first and then put the stripes on, but these should be done in reverse order (ie. stripes first, and then coat the vehicle).