PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic on Polished Aluminum Rims?

haze10
11-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Need something to prevent oxidation on highly polished aluminum rims. Raw aluminum, non coated, sanded down to 2000 grit, cut with course, medium, fine compounds. Mirror polish.
But how to prevent them from oxidation so I don't have to go through this labor again. Looked at Cerakote MC 5100 but its a spray on and I know that will at least leave some orange peel. Cut compound out, but is the effort worth it. Then thought maybe ceramic coating. But believe it or not, some manufacturer's like Gtechniq say they do not recommend their Rim product on raw metal.
Adams has one they say is good, and I have confirmation from Gyeon that Mohs is listed for raw polished aluminum.

Anyone here have experience with polished aluminum rims, what are you using, how long does it last, did it completely stop oxidation.???

DMW
11-08-2018, 06:21 PM
I'd recommend using this. I painted my brake calipers and topped them with this three years ago and they still look perfect.

Glisten PC High Performance Clear Coat (https://www.por15.com/Glisten-PC-High-Performance-Clear-Coat_ep_75.html)

fly07sti
11-08-2018, 07:04 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/eae6fbec3e09ccbc06057724aff3a764.jpg

I coated these with McKee’s wheel coating for a customer of mine’s GT 500 and they have help up to many 1/4 miles with no signs of tarnishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haze10
11-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Fly,
Any special prep before applying the ceramic. How many coats. Any top coats? Does the ceramic stop future oxidation, at least for a long period of time.

The Guz
11-09-2018, 12:38 PM
A coating is not going to stop the oxidation process. It will slow it down. Durability includes many factors so it is going to vary from person to person.

itsgn
11-09-2018, 02:14 PM
But believe it or not, some manufacturer's like Gtechniq say they do not recommend their Rim product on raw metal. Adams has one they say is good, and I have confirmation from Gyeon that Mohs is listed for raw polished aluminum.
In my personal experience CQUK doesn't seem to last on metal surfaces either, even though "metals" is listed in the product's description, as one of the target surfaces/materials (as is "headlights", where again, doesn't seem to last more than a month probably). So, I'd be rather skeptical about believing similar claims from other manufacturers of similar coatings.

Calendyr
11-10-2018, 04:48 AM
I think clear coating them would be the way to go. Maybe you could find the answer by googling aluminium rim clearcoat or something. Once they are painted, you could then apply the ceramic coating on top.

sqeekykleen
11-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Check with truck dealer's, Peterbilt, Kenworth, etc. Maybe even Ram, Ford on the dually trucks with aluminum wheels. I believe they clear coat the aluminum buds after polishing, but before mounting the tires.
Sure makes maintaining them much easier.

Mgavin1985
11-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Take wheels off and do 2k clears out of spray can the one with hardener in the same can then ceramic coat it but u have to wait 30 days. I only waited a week it was fine