PDA

View Full Version : CarPro DLUX on tires?

Maxreed241
11-06-2018, 09:16 PM
I'm looking to protect my tires with something other than dressings. Has anyone ever used DLUX on tires? I have some leftover so was wondering if I could use it. I see that it says you can use it on rubber surfaces. Does this mean tires? If it can't be applied on tires, any recommendations for tire coatings?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Autogeekonline mobile app

The Guz
11-06-2018, 10:55 PM
I don’t think it would do well on tires. You could try it.

As far as tire coatings go Mckee’s is one to get. Seems to perform better than Tuf Shine.

Maxreed241
11-06-2018, 11:02 PM
I don’t think it would do well on tires. You could try it.

As far as tire coatings go Mckee’s is one to get. Seems to perform better than Tuf Shine.Thanks Guz! I might do a little test spot. Would you recommend the 4 oz or 16? It'd be mostly my vehicle and maybe a couple clients getting the tires coated.

The Guz
11-06-2018, 11:13 PM
I have the 4 oz bottle just for my personal use. Used it on my tires and my brothers tires and still have quite a bit left.

This is after doing 3 coats. A little goes a long way.

Maxreed241
11-06-2018, 11:20 PM
I have the 4 oz bottle just for my personal use. Used it on my tires and my brothers tires and still have quite a bit left.

This is after doing 3 coats. A little goes a long way.Cool thanks. Helps a bunch. I was debating on getting the 16 oz. How many month do you usually get out of the coating?

The Guz
11-07-2018, 12:26 AM
Cool thanks. Helps a bunch. I was debating on getting the 16 oz. How many month do you usually get out of the coating?

You made me go on my PC and look at the photos I took when I applied the newest formula of McKee's tire coating and the date on the photos is 1/4/2018. I did not realize that I am 10 months and it is still on the tires. Sure it has lost some of it's shine and darkness but it is not flaking off. It is in need of another application. You also have to remember I live in sunny So Cal so no harsh weather. Just daily driving with a simple wash weekly with N914 or car shampoo when doing a bucket wash.

Maxreed241
11-07-2018, 12:34 AM
You made me go on my PC and look at the photos I took when I applied the newest formula of McKee's tire coating and the date on the photos is 1/4/2018. I did not realize that I am 10 months and it is still on the tires. Sure it has lost some of it's shine and darkness but it is not flaking off. It is in need of another application. You also have to remember I live in sunny So Cal so no harsh weather. Just daily driving with a simple wash weekly with N914 or car shampoo when doing a bucket wash.Now that is really impressive.

Setec Astronomy
11-07-2018, 07:31 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party, DLUX does say you can use it on tires...I don't think any members ever have, though...it's such an expensive product it seems like a crazy use for it.

If you haven't decided on which tire coating, Optimum just announced theirs at SEMA last week, not available yet, no announcement on when or the price, but some of the other stuff they showed at SEMA is already available, so it could be soon...or not. I honestly don't think it's going to be any better than Tuf Shine or McKee's, but it may be cheaper, it will come in 8oz and 32oz bottles...I'm figuring it has to be pretty cheap (relatively speaking) if they are going to sell it in a quart bottle.

Maxreed241
11-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party, DLUX does say you can use it on tires...I don't think any members ever have, though...it's such an expensive product it seems like a crazy use for it.

If you haven't decided on which tire coating, Optimum just announced theirs at SEMA last week, not available yet, no announcement on when or the price, but some of the other stuff they showed at SEMA is already available, so it could be soon...or not. I honestly don't think it's going to be any better than Tuf Shine or McKee's, but it may be cheaper, it will come in 8oz and 32oz bottles...I'm figuring it has to be pretty cheap (relatively speaking) if they are going to sell it in a quart bottle.I think I might try a test spot on one of my tires to see if it works ok. I was only curious to see if I could possibly use it because I have some leftover. I didn't really want to buy anymore. The optimum does look interesting though.

itsgn
11-10-2018, 06:54 AM
The real problem with DLux will be, that it will be too thick and not flexible enough. And because of that, as the tire will constantly change shape under it while driving, DLux won't be able to adapt to that, and will develop cracks, and even possibly peel off. Just my two cents.

itsgn
11-10-2018, 07:02 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party, DLUX does say you can use it on tires...
As far as I'm aware of, it doesn't say that (http://cquartz.com/product/dlux/). It says wheels, which however means the rim part only (and also possibly brake calipers and other painted parts), but not the tires. The description does mention rubber trim, which however, again, does not mean the tires, but the door and window seals. Tires are a special kind of rubber that are subject to far more stress than the former, and not really suitable for classic ceramic coatings.

Setec Astronomy
11-10-2018, 07:46 AM
The real problem with DLux will be, that it will be too thick and not flexible enough. And because of that, as the tire will constantly change shape under it while driving, DLux won't be able to adapt to that, and will develop cracks, and even possibly peel off. Just my two cents.

Do you say that from any experience? Having used DLUX, other paint etc. coatings, and tire coatings, I'd be hard pressed to imagine DLUX being thicker than a tire coating, or for that matter, even having enough thickness to "peel".

As far as I'm aware of, it doesn't say that (http://cquartz.com/product/dlux/). It says wheels, which however means the rim part only (and also possibly brake calipers and other painted parts), but not the tires. The description does mention rubber trim, which however, again, does not mean the tires, but the door and window seals. Tires are a special kind of rubber that are subject to far more stress than the former, and not really suitable for classic ceramic coatings.

The CarPro-US website says:

Applications:

Plastic Trim
Rubber Trim
Engine Bay
Headlights, Fog lights, & Tail lights
Wheels
Tires
Metal Trim
Exhaust Tips
Chrome
Plastic Wheel Wells

Emphasis mine. I'm sure Corey wouldn't recommend that use if he hadn't tried it and found it satisfactory. I personally wouldn't use it for that because it's rather expensive and would seem to be overkill, which is why earlier in the thread I said "seems like a crazy use for that".

Mgavin1985
11-10-2018, 08:04 AM
When autogeek sold the blackfire crystal coating on sale I used it on tires it was pretty good and looked great the only issues is as soon as I scuffed the side wall it looked like crap and I had to keep doing touch ups it last several months. It’s probably better and was on wallet to look for acrylic coating for tires I use a brand that is not on the site

itsgn
11-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Do you say that from any experience? Having used DLUX, other paint etc. coatings, and tire coatings, I'd be hard pressed to imagine DLUX being thicker than a tire coating, or for that matter, even having enough thickness to "peel".
Even Tuf Shine admits that their coating can "flake or peel" off the tire (http://tufshine.com/faqs.html) if not applied properly. And their product is water based. I'd expect a solvent based coating with 50% solid (silica) content to definitely layer thicker and cure to a lot harder state, and thus be even more capable of cracking and peeling.

The CarPro-US website says:
Well, CarPro US is a reseller, not the manufacturer. I, however, have linked the original manufacturer's product page, which makes no mention of the tires. I've also just checked a box of DLux and nowhere does it mention tires. It says on the side of the box "PROTECT: Plastic, Vinyl, Rubber, Car wheels, Brake calipers". And the fact that it goes the extra mile to mention the brake calipers, but doesn't do so with tires makes me think that the latter is left intentionally out.

That said, I'm just presenting the facts known to me here, and trying to apply some common sense to them. But feel free to try DLux on tires, and report back on the results! I'd be more than happy to read about them.