PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Felt Wheel Liners

Pages : [1] 2 3

jconley30
10-29-2018, 06:25 PM
As we all know, those felt wheel liners in a lot of new cars are very annoying and tricky to clean sometime. They love to pick up grass and sand and dirt. I recently came up with an idea and wanted to see if anyone has tried it. If not, I'm curious on your opinions on the idea. My idea is, once the wheel liners are cleaned out and dry, what if you were to apply the product NeverWet. It is a super hydrophobic product most of you may have seen used on shoes specifically.

Setec Astronomy
10-29-2018, 06:32 PM
Aren't there car products for this? Like convertible top treatments or CarPro Hydro2.

jconley30
10-29-2018, 06:33 PM
I'm sure. I just thought of this and I'd imagine it would be a cheaper alternative. Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it yet and if it actually works or not.

Setec Astronomy
10-29-2018, 06:41 PM
I'm lucky (I guess) to have not encountered any felt wheel liners yet. I'm sure making them hydrophobic is going to help keep them clean, but I'm not sure it will keep you from having to clean them, if you know what I mean.

FUNX650
10-29-2018, 06:49 PM
•The “felt” wheel well liners on my
vehicles are made from plastic.

•After they’ve been cleaned to my satisfaction...
-I just treat them with the same vinyl/plastic
Protectants that I’ve used on any other plastic
wheel-well liners.

-Products like: 303-AP; Vinylex; HyperDressing;
Meguiar’s M40; Mother’s RV&P; etc.; etc.

•NeverWet?
-Nope: No room at the Inn.

Bob

PaulMys
10-29-2018, 07:17 PM
My take is this: As a new car/truck shopper, if I saw the wheel wells were constructed of this material, I would politely decline any further interest in that model, then alert the salesman that he should relay this to the manufacturer. JMO

Goonie75
10-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Almost every vehicle we do now has those.... sucks.... pressure washer is what we use... air.... sometimes a lint roller... scotch guard.... that wont prevent grass or 'solids' ... nope... not a fan... this was today's carhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181030/560fb6e1e97bcf216f5dad97cac7ffb8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181030/4c7bcc910921fb4e076ca38c4d5cba4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
10-30-2018, 03:48 AM
My take is this: As a new car/truck shopper, if I saw the wheel wells were constructed of this material, I would politely decline any further interest in that model, then alert the salesman that he should relay this to the manufacturer. JMO

If you were to do that you’d be limiting your options quite a bit... So much so that your ideal vehicle could easily fall out of reach due to the wheel well lining? IMO there’s bigger fish to fry or in this case become possible dealbreakers.

i.e. 1st and foremost, if I were buying a car, whether new or used and they tried delivering it to me with 1 of their stupid little badges stuck onto the paint of the trunk, as if I’m supposed to be somekind of free neighborhood billboard for a freaking car dealership. No way. I’d call the whole deal off right there on the spot unless they remove that crap and remove it fast and there better not be any sign of it ever being on the paint to begin with. Lol.

I don’t drive around with license plate trims that advertise any car dealerships either... My license plate trim is something I pick out to match the vehicle.

I’d also complain about the lack of ashtrays and lighters before I’d think about the felt wheel well liners.[emoji57]lol.

I’d probably sound like a grumpy old man with those sort of complaints. Lol.

WristyManchego
10-30-2018, 05:20 AM
As we all know, those felt wheel liners in a lot of new cars are very annoying and tricky to clean sometime. They love to pick up grass and sand and dirt. I recently came up with an idea and wanted to see if anyone has tried it. If not, I'm curious on your opinions on the idea. My idea is, once the wheel liners are cleaned out and dry, what if you were to apply the product NeverWet. It is a super hydrophobic product most of you may have seen used on shoes specifically.

I like the idea mate and I reckon you should follow it up regardless of the responses you get.

This kind of thinking is what creates a good detailer, it’s got nothing to do with using the product manufacturers say you should.

Test it out, take notes, report back.

Farmallluvr
10-30-2018, 08:10 AM
Felt liners are probably ok on city cars but they suck on country trucks,even one trip down a muddy dirt road and you'll be scrubbing them for hours trying to get them clean
if you get one that has been constantly on a dirt with no regard to cleaning it double sucks
I'd like to find the engineer who thought these were a good idea and lock him up in a stockade in the town square and throw rotten fruit at him

hooked
10-30-2018, 03:00 PM
In my neck of suburbia, there’s a site that was used to create sand from all the rocks the blasted out of the ground to be used in constructing all the houses. It’s still there and I think it’s still in operation but a strip mall has been built around it. One day, after a bout of heavy and prolonged rain, my wife drove through that area in our Mazda CX-5 and splashed through the muck from the factory and the stuff hardened like cement. The front wheel wells have the smooth plastic covers so I was able to scrub them clean. But the rear wells have that textured lining and it took a lot of elbow grease and scrubbing to get 90% of the crud off.

PaulMys
10-30-2018, 05:08 PM
If you were to do that you’d be limiting your options quite a bit... So much so that your ideal vehicle could easily fall out of reach due to the wheel well lining?.

Damn right!!!! :)

Now you whipper-snappers get off my lawn!!!

FUNX650
11-01-2018, 08:18 AM
Damn right!!!! :)

^^^:xyxthumbs:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/ED86393C-8690-4F96-8F94-07ABD7765EFB.jpeg

Bob

camaro2ssblack
11-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Good topic OP. I hate these in my wife's Nissan Armada. Fortunately they are only on the rear but still a pain in the ass.

I hope Mike will chime in on this topic, I like your idea though...

AZpolisher15
11-01-2018, 11:09 AM
What's the intended purpose of the "fabric" liners?