PDA

View Full Version : Pro vs prosumer vs DYI

Mgavin1985
10-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Hey you guys teach me a lot. Has anyone used a pro coating and prosumer is their really that much of a difference? I have not done gyeon synchro but hear that it’s very close to a pro. I’m am so mind boggled by how many coating their are. I’ve only done 1 two part coating csl and Exo and the water behavior was stunning probably close to a pro coat

Ancient1
10-30-2018, 07:32 PM
I don't know how close to a pro product it is but is a very good product. I polished off a year old CSL/Exo coating on my car just from what I saw performance wise on a test panel I did. The water behavior and self cleaning was better I don't know about logevity tho.

Here is a shot of the test panel I did 8 months ago and this was taken Friday after only the 3 or so wash with the car setting outside in the sun next to a pine tree 24/7 (it also has over 160k miles on it).

The syncro is on the passenger side next to the windshield across from it is CSL/Exo 3 In front of it is Mohs/Booster and the front drivers side is CSL tooped with gliss. When I washed it the Synmcro section was noticeably cleaner all the others were quite similar with the CSL/Exo showing a little better water behavior than the other two but way behind the Syncro. The Mohs boster had the worst behavior of the four combinations. The sides of the car still has CSL/Exo that is almost two years old I just used the horizontal panels for testing.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/20181026_124317.jpg

Here is a picture I took while prepping it. All the little specs are all rock chips (I think she must think it is a good idea to follow dump trucks)

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/2018-03-02%2011.44.24.jpg

And the pic during and after the wash.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/2018-10-26%2012.08.56.jpg
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/2018-10-26%2013.04.08.jpg

Also here is a picture I took this summer when I washed it and what I noticed then. While I was drying it the syncro are was basicly perfectly clean while the other sections had residue which I believe was from the Pine tree. I couldnt get a good picture showing that so I misted the whole hood with N914 and this made it more visible.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/2018-07-13%2009.53.34.jpg~original

Mgavin1985
10-30-2018, 08:14 PM
So the synchro seems better than the csl Exo right? I like the idea of two coating a base as the tuff stuff bonding to paint filling in the pores something dedicated to that aspect the a top coat being designed for staying clean either sheeting or beading. I’m not sure if it makes a better system instead of having one coat that is average. Has anyone done Mohs and cancoat and then re apply cancoat every so often that would be great water beahavior. I have a topping problem with coating. I really don’t know how long Exo lasts cause I topped it and I think it ruined it.

Ancient1
10-30-2018, 08:38 PM
If I could buy Skin I would use that with CSL. Both of those are 1 coat products where Syncro wants 2~3 coats of mohs and 1 of skin while the Gtech combo wants 1 coat of CSL and two of Exo. Exo v4 is a lttle better than v3 as far as application and performance but just a lttle and also is a little slicker feeling but still not like skin in the syncro kit. The one thing I like about that combination is both are wipe on and wipe off and both are quite slick and easy off. Plus it would cut down all the time waiting between coatsa to just one waithing period.

Here is a pic of my 2nd car that I have done with the CSL/Skin combo but I haven't beem able to drive it since 3+4th gear are out and have been since last july. It is getting a new trans as we speak but just in time to park it for winter.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/2018-09-04%2012.22.55.jpg~original

The Guz
10-30-2018, 09:49 PM
The only complaint I have with Skin is that it doesn’t last that long.

I have Syncro on my dad’s car and the self
cleaning effect started to degrade at about 6 months. The beading at 10 months is underwhelming as is the sheeting. Water is sticking to the paint. It’s failed in a couple areas completely.

Even after a decon nothing has changed.

BudgetPlan1
10-31-2018, 08:02 AM
I don’t think a ‘pro’ coating (as denoted by selling only to authorized, vetted users) is always necessarily better (whatever that really means) than a coating available to anyone. I think there are a few reasons that a mfg sells only specific products to vetted/authorized users; difficulty of install, desire to somewhat control a user base, ability to offer ‘exclusive’ rights to pros within a defined geographic area, etc.

The ability to become pro-certified varies as well and in some cases involves a cost to the potential pro user. In some cases (Gtechniq is one I believe) an authorized user must attend training sessions (around $1500 last I heard) and in other cases (Gyeon perhaps) an authorized user must have an actual physical location (as opposed to mobile), possibly due to the need for IR curing for their upper level products. In the case of IGL I believe all that is needed for their lower-level pro offerings (Poly, Quartz and Quartz+) is proof of a business license and business insurance; should you want to install their top-tier coating (Kenzo) I believe one must attend a training class. I have also heard of a requirement to send pictures of you facility to the mfg, I guess to insure that your physical location meets the ‘visual standard’ they want to maintain for their products…appearance is everything?

Regardless of the path to certification, there are still authorized-installer products, usually at the lower end of their offerings, whose performance can be exceeded by a consumer/prosumer offering. I had a sympathetic installer send me a bit of a pro-only coating last year and I ran it side-by-side with one of my preferred consumer coatings for a few months; the consumer product beat the snot out of the installer-only coating. However, from what I could gather by asking around, the pro-only coating came in at a cost level that was a mere 33% of the consumer coating cost. So it’s not just a matter of performance with regards to pro v consumer, but also a matter of cost (in some cases; I have heard that Modesta is relatively expensive even for installers).

A little note about Gyeon, as it was mentioned here. Whether intentional or by accident, Gyeon has provided consumers with some options that will approach a couple of their pro-only offerings:
- Gyeon Syncro is a less concentrated version of their pro-only Duraflex offering
- Gyeon Mohs + Gyeon Booster is a less concentrated version of their pro-only Durabead offering
They may be adding another to this list as I see mention of a pro-only CanCoat product being released at SEMA this year. While in the above mentioned cases, one would certainly *hope* that the pro-only versions ARE significantly better in performance than the consumer approximations but only a pro would know that for sure.

Additionally, pro-only products often come with warranties, which are likely pretty specific regarding after care, what defines failure and other such items that could not be controlled outside of pro-only situations. Could you imaging the warranty claims if consumers were left to evaluate failure conditions with a consumer offered product that had a warranty available?

As for myself, I don’t really worry about access to ‘pro-only’ offerings as there are enough great consumer products currently out there; even one or 2 ‘limited self-healing’ are now available to consumers and I’d expect that segment to grow going forward. My specific needs and experiences have shown me that I have absolutely no need for anything beyond a claimed 3 year coatings, and with heavily used daily drivers even 2 years means I’m likely gonna have live with a few flaws (inflicted by my ignorance/laziness or inflicted by daily use) before the coating itself gives up the ghost. I kinda go by the 3 years or 36000 miles theory, aside from unusual incidents, which seems to hold somewhat true given my local climate, maintenance habits and vehicle usage. YMMV

And beware everything I’ve typed above as there are no proven facts in that jumble of words, just things I may have heard, read about (without verification) or just plain guessed at. It’s the Interweb after all, where the information is just about worth exactly what ya paid for it….Nada!

On another note, my experience with Syncro pretty much mirrors The Guz and regarding Ancient1's thoughts of topping CSL w/ Skin if it was available, I have topped CSL w/ Gyeon CanCoat and am very, very happy with the results (been about 5 months, 12k miles now). It seems to maintain the base appearance of the CSL (a very 'rich' look to me) and the CanCoat significantly increases the entertaining water behavior and self-cleaning aspect of CSL alone. Also adds a nice pop to the finish, a bit of the candy-gloss that does not seem to be overdone when sitting on top of CSL.

Mgavin1985
10-31-2018, 03:36 PM
Budget thanks for sharing I had no idea the pro only stuff you have to jump through hoop I understand both sides of argument

Mgavin1985
10-31-2018, 03:37 PM
If only our banking sector only had the same regulations as pro coating maybe 2008 wouldn’t have been a bummer