PDA

View Full Version : Restoreing "light?" hazing on carbon fiber

gsr1379
10-23-2018, 01:22 PM
This is a spoiler on evo 9. You can see the difference on the edge where the gurney flap was removed. What should I do to make it more even. I tried using a DA with Griots
Complete Compound on Lake County orange pad
then tried
Fast Correcting Cream on Lake County orange pad. Very little to no correction. Do I need to wet sand or just need more aggressive pad and or compound? Thanks for any suggestions.

https://i.imgur.com/722CNCk.jpg

rlmccarty2000
10-23-2018, 07:50 PM
This may be a good question to submit to Mike Phillips himself. I don’t have any experience with polishing carbon fiber. Good luck.

rangerbay
10-23-2018, 09:27 PM
I think the spoiler has some sun bleaching and yellowing.. The Gurney flap might have kept the sun from fading under it. The surface you are polishing is just clear coat, so you may not get the darker streak lighter, or the lighter area darker.

Bill

JKDesign
10-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Typically with carbon fiber if it is showing signs of yellowing- that means that it does not have clear coat- just extra resin/epoxy that makes it smooth and glossy. That yellowing is the results of UV damage- as most resins/epoxys are not UV resistant/stable like automotive clear coat is.

If you can get it to clean up with a cleaner wax and then continue to maintain it regularly with a sealant or wax that would be your best bet. If you cannot get it to improve with a cleaner wax then I would be hesitant to get more aggressive.

If you have to get more aggressive and if it is in your budget- the best bet would be to remove and disassemble the wing and bring it to a bodyshop to have them sand and clear coat it- that way you can care for it as you would your normal paint.