PDA

View Full Version : Newly CanCoated car - door scratched - what to do.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

stylo
10-23-2018, 04:58 AM
Hey guys, the wife has managed to put a light scratch mark on the door. The 2 layers of CanCoat is only a week old ..

What are my options ? Go through the cut/polish/finish of the whole door panel or just that small 2” x 2” spot and apply the two layers of CanCoat again ?

Justin at Final Inspection
10-23-2018, 05:05 AM
Hey guys, the wife has managed to put a light scratch mark on the door. The 2 layers of CanCoat is only a week old ..

What are my options ? Go through the cut/polish/finish of the whole door panel or just that small 2” x 2” spot and apply the two layers of CanCoat again ?

I would just do that area and reapply.

stylo
10-23-2018, 06:28 AM
Ok cool.

Just had a quick inspection and my few finger rubs has caused a few more scratches !!

Thought CanCoat would give it a bit more protection than that ... it’s been over a week. Should have cured already.

Maybe I didn’t put enough on there ?

Setec Astronomy
10-23-2018, 07:27 AM
Just had a quick inspection and my few finger rubs has caused a few more scratches !!

Thought CanCoat would give it a bit more protection than that ... it’s been over a week. Should have cured already.

It's not a force field, if you rub grit against your paint with your finger (by rubbing a dirty car) you're going to cause marring.

stylo
10-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Argh ... thanks ..

I thought it was clean enough. Washed only a day ago, but noted for future.

Desertnate
10-23-2018, 08:43 AM
It's not a force field, if you rub grit against your paint with your finger (by rubbing a dirty car) you're going to cause marring.

So true. I think people greatly over estimate the scratch resistance of coatings. The marketing of the products sure doesn't help.

CanCoat is a great product in many ways, but due to it being a "lite" coating I've seen it offers even less marring resistance than a traditional coating. Not that traditional coatings offer much either...

Argh ... thanks ..

I thought it was clean enough. Washed only a day ago, but noted for future.

Cleanliness doesn't have anything to do with it. If the scratch came from keys, luggage (i.e. purse or laptop bag), jewlery, fingernails, etc, it would happen no matter what is on the vehicle or how clean.

Setec Astronomy
10-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately, there is some reality to offset the hyperbole used in marketing car products. Sure, a real coating might give you some scratch protection, but in the end probably all it's going to do is give you a sacrificial surface that the marring will be in instead of the paint (and there's a lot of wishing and hoping in that). Mostly what you're trying to do is create a surface that will release the dirt easier so there is less chance of marring during washing...because it's that mechanical object-on-paint friction that scratches the paint...like what your wife did but on a smaller scale. I mean heck, some (clean) paints can be scratched by a microfiber towel.

Sorry to wreck your morning.

PS Desertnate beat me to these points, I see.

stylo
10-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Thanks so much guys. Morning ruined already by wife and the scratch lol

So much to learn, especially with this being only my second car coated with it.

So should i use some masking tape to square off the section I’m going to work on with the random orbital to re-polish ?

LSNAutoDetailing
10-23-2018, 04:42 PM
I wouldn’t tape off, just blend it. Make sure your work isn’t to “get that darn scratch out.” That’s when people get into trouble because the focus becomes getting the scratches out while not paying attention to heat buildup.

Polish as you normally would, 2’x2’ sections 6 section passes. It’s easier to live with a small scratch that only you can see vs a burn in the cc.

Please excuse the typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stylo
10-23-2018, 06:30 PM
I should update to say a 'scratch' would be an exaggeration and it is more of a marring which could only be seen at certain angles ...

Which was then exacerbated by me using my stupid fingers to see if the initial marring would rub out, causing further fine swirls (due to there being I guess, some fine dust/dirt particles on the panel).

All of this in a small 2 inch by 2 inch section of the door panel .. so annoying !!!

SO ... I will be doing the cut/polish then finish with (Menzerna 400, 2400 and 3800) then wipe with Prep and reapply the CanCoat by blending it in that section I worked on. I will ensure I work on a larger section and not just focus on the scratch and inadvertently cause a burn in the clear coat.

Thanks everyone!

Setec Astronomy
10-23-2018, 06:36 PM
If you can only see it from certain angles, I sure wouldn't start with FG400, or even the MC2400 (I can't keep up with the numbering changes, I don't even know what that was before), since that's just one step removed from Power Gloss (PG1000).

stylo
10-23-2018, 06:45 PM
Gotcha ! I will start with the Polish (2400) as opposed to the Cut (400).

Will only use the Cut if necessary.

Calendyr
10-23-2018, 07:45 PM
Ok cool.

Cancoat is a sealant... it won't protect against scratches. Think of it as Gyeon's version of Reload. It will protect against UV, make the paint harder to get dirty and easier to clean but it won't provide any noticable scratch resistance.

stylo
10-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Cancoat is a sealant... it won't protect against scratches. Think of it as Gyeon's version of Reload. It will protect against UV, make the paint harder to get dirty and easier to clean but it won't provide any noticable scratch resistance.

Ahhh absolutely ! CanCoat was really just the practice run with using the DA polisher for the first time and applying a SiO2 coating. I will just re-do the car with MOHS in 6-12 months.

Have to say I have been really happy with the self cleaning and gloss of CanCoat but you guys have pointed out the main flaw for me here being the lack of scratch resistance (which incidentally, it isn't advertised to provide).

BudgetPlan1
10-23-2018, 08:17 PM
I'd call CanCoat more of a coating-lite product as opposed to a Reload-type 'maintenance product' which are now sealants? It's hard to keep up.

In any event, even Mohs isn't gonna be that much more scratch/mar resistant; bang a door against it and even the mightiest, diamond-infused, 10h coating is gone give way.