PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash Distilled vs Filtered water

PeteT19640
10-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Hi
I see a mix of Distilled and Filtered water for this product..
Wolfgang list filtered or tap
Which one is correct?
Thanks

Bruno Soares
10-18-2018, 07:06 PM
You can use whatever you want. For rinseless I use tap water. For other uses (like detail spray or clay lube) I’ll use distilled water. Basically if it won’t be all used at once I’ll use distilled. If I’m using the entire mix (or dumping what’s unused) I’ll use tap water.

PaulMys
10-18-2018, 07:12 PM
You can use whatever you want. For rinseless I use tap water. For other uses (like detail spray or clay lube) I’ll use distilled water. Basically if it won’t be all used at once I’ll use distilled. If I’m using the entire mix (or dumping what’s unused) I’ll use tap water.

I agree.

In my estimation, rinseless washes like Uber & ONR act as water softeners for the washes. So anything you use for this would be ok.

Cleankat
10-18-2018, 08:49 PM
I've done both for rinseless and could tell no difference. As others said if you're mixing something up and won't use it all at once distilled is probably better, but honestly still doubt it makes much difference unless you have really hard water. I still use distilled sometimes just because it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling but honestly I can't tell any tangible difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ducksfan
10-19-2018, 01:26 AM
It depends how free you are with spending money. For some people, a dollar a gallon for distilled to wash with could be better used in other ways.

If you're wanting to use better water to wash with, you should consider a filtered system like DI to lower costs.

Eldorado2k
10-19-2018, 01:33 AM
I could be wrong due to the whole “it contains water softeners” deal, but I kind of think there’s a benefit to using distilled water vs. tap because I think there might be a chance it could be less harsh on my lsp and maybe help extend its longevity a bit? It could be negligible, plus I only do waterless washes not rinseless, so it’s not as big of a deal because I don’t mix up 3 gallons at a time.

Route246
10-19-2018, 03:46 PM
I could be wrong due to the whole “it contains water softeners” deal, but I kind of think there’s a benefit to using distilled water vs. tap because I think there might be a chance it could be less harsh on my lsp and maybe help extend its longevity a bit? It could be negligible, plus I only do waterless washes not rinseless, so it’s not as big of a deal because I don’t mix up 3 gallons at a time.

You're not wrong. I agree with your assessment. "Soft Water" does not mean free of TDS (total dissolved solids) including magnesium and other minerals and dissolved solids that are in softened tap water.

My water is around 450 TDS. My softened water is around 410 TDS. My deionized water is around 3 TDS and my filtered and reverse osmosis drinking water (the stuff that comes out of the system under the sink) is about 5 TDS.

All soft water does is exchange minerals such as magnesium and calcium for sodium (or potassium if you use that in your softener). It does not do much to reduce your TDS.

To remove TDS you need a reverse osmosis system and/or a deionizing resin (i.e. CR Spotless).

Route246
10-19-2018, 03:50 PM
You're not wrong. I agree with your assessment. "Soft Water" does not mean free of TDS (total dissolved solids) including magnesium and other minerals and dissolved solids that are in softened tap water.

My water is around 450 TDS. My softened water is around 410 TDS. My deionized water is around 3 TDS and my filtered and reverse osmosis drinking water (the stuff that comes out of the system under the sink) is about 5 TDS.

All soft water does is exchange minerals such as magnesium and calcium for sodium (or potassium if you use that in your softener). It does not do much to reduce your TDS.

To remove TDS you need a reverse osmosis system and/or a deionizing resin (i.e. CR Spotless).

BTW, buying filtered/distilled water in gallon jugs is great for creating storage for your diluted products (i.e. Uber rinseless, ONR, etc.). The local grocery or variety store often has nice bottles on sale and I usually stock up that way.

UncleDavy
10-21-2018, 03:01 PM
There really is no scientific basis to my decisions but I use tap water for the rinseless washes and distilled water for my waterless/drying aid spray mixture. The car is usually in the garage when I do a rinseless wash so I don't have to worry about the sun drying out the surface water and creating spots. The Wolfgang Uber is nice and slippery so I don't worry about slightly mineralized water creating a problem. The vehicle is usually outside when I use a drying aid or a detail spray and there is a chance that the paint will see some sun. The distilled water gives me a little peace of mind.

acuRAS82
10-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Same as most others, I use tap for rinseless and distilled for waterless, mostly because I like the idea of using distilled if the waterless ends up sitting around for months.