PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Fluid in Gas Tank of a Generator

Pages : [1] 2

hooked
10-15-2018, 02:48 PM
I recently “inherited” a gas powered generator from my in-laws. Basically, my mother-in-law got tired of it taking up room in her backyard shed. This generator was loaned out to someone during the last hurricane and it took a while for him to be convinced to give it back.

Well, I finally got around to testing it out and I opened the gas cap and saw it still had “gas” in the tank. I tried to start it up and it turned over once but failed to start. As I was fiddling with it (no mechanical experience here), I turned the knob for the gas shut off valve a couple times and the whole component disconnected from the tank. “Gas” came gushing out and I quickly reinserted the valve into the tank to stop the gusher. That’s when I realized that the liquid in the tank was not gas. It has a certain odor but it’s definitely not gasoline and it is clear, almost like water and not oily. I can’t describe the smell, but it is not as pungent as gas and it doesn’t burn the nose as gas would.

I am wondering if the dude that borrowed it added some sort of storage liquid to it. I have no experience with this so I wouldn’t even know what it looks or smells like.

Any ideas?

UncleDavy
10-15-2018, 04:41 PM
I remember Amoco Ultimate 93 used to be a clear, colorless gas that had a different odor but the Amoco brand has not existed for 10 years. BP is resurrecting the brand name in select locations but I don't know if they are still selling the "white gas".
Drain and remove whatever is in the tank of that generator and put in some fresh fuel.

hooked
10-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Thanks. I ordered a replacement valve since the current one seems to be damaged. That’s why it dislodged so easily from the bottom of the tank as I was trying to shut it. It looks like the ring that forms the seal with the gas tank disintegrated. I didn’t want to add gas until I got the new one.

I’m still curious what this stuff is. Now that I think of it, the smell reminds me of a Dry Erase marker. It’s chemically, but not super strong.

There was at least a couple of gallons in the tank.

Mgavin1985
10-15-2018, 07:00 PM
What does it taste like.....if I could help I would mineral spirits?

hooked
10-15-2018, 07:10 PM
It has a fruity bouquet with a hint of oak.

UncleDavy
10-15-2018, 07:27 PM

It sounds like Merlot.

hooked
10-15-2018, 07:59 PM
It sounds like Merlot.

More like an I-Dunno.

oneheadlite
10-15-2018, 08:32 PM

Not sure if it was your intention, but this made me laugh out loud. :laughing: I prefer my mystery liquids unoaked...

I’m with Uncle Davy. Drain that stuff and dispose of it. I get being curious as to what it is, but I’d leave it at “Liquid that the generator didn’t run on”. I use non-oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel for all my small engines/infrequent use gas engines so there’s less likelihood of the alcohol to absorb water and cause trouble. A dose of sea foam or similar fuel treatment wouldn’t hurt either.

Let us know how it goes with the new valve!

hooked
10-15-2018, 09:21 PM
Not sure if it was your intention, but this made me laugh out loud. :laughing: I prefer my mystery liquids unoaked...

I’m with Uncle Davy. Drain that stuff and dispose of it. I get being curious as to what it is, but I’d leave it at “Liquid that the generator didn’t run on”. I use non-oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel for all my small engines/infrequent use gas engines so there’s less likelihood of the alcohol to absorb water and cause trouble. A dose of sea foam or similar fuel treatment wouldn’t hurt either.

Let us know how it goes with the new valve!

Thanks, I will. What I’m afraid if is that the dude that borrowed the generator from my in-laws and tried to keep it might have put something in to damage it.

Last year when a hurricane brushed South Florida, it knocked out power for a lot of people. My in-laws’ house got power back the next day and we were all over there when this guy asked my f-i-l to borrow the generator. He came by the next morning and drove it away in his truck. Months later, my f-i-l asked for it back and the guy kept saying he was too busy or couldn’t bring it back. He sure found a way to pick it up in a hurry.

Nac
10-16-2018, 05:02 PM
If it is old gas with ethanol it can absorb water. I have had it happened the equipment we seldom use. Try draining and put fresh gas. Also add Startron additive to your fuel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

PaulMys
10-16-2018, 05:29 PM
This is phase separation from the rotten ethanol gasoline we are forced to use today.

It not only separates, it attacks most plastics, diaphragms (think 2-stroke carbs), and even fiberglass.

In addition to draining the tank, you also need to empty the carburetor bowl. Some carburetor bowls have drains.

Always use a stabilizer, run the tank empty, then drain the bowl.

Or, if you can obtain some non-ethanol gasoline and run that, that would be the ideal thing to do.

Farmallluvr
10-16-2018, 06:55 PM
What PaulMys said,,I live in farm country and one of the local stations carries "recreation" fuel which is supposed to be used off road but I put some in the truck every so often ,,it loves it!

it is pricey though,,about a dollar more than reg unleaded

BillE
10-17-2018, 07:39 AM
What PaulMys said,,I live in farm country and one of the local stations carries "recreation" fuel which is supposed to be used off road but I put some in the truck every so often ,,it loves it!

it is pricey though,,about a dollar more than reg unleaded

ZOWIE! I thought the 50¢ extra I pay was bad, gues not.

Bill

hooked
10-21-2018, 02:06 PM
So I replaced the shut off valve and the bushing. I could have just ordered the bushing since that’s what was damaged but I didn’t realize they were two different items. Oh well. It was a pain in the rear to get the new pieces in place. Added new gas but it still didn’t fire up. I took the carburetor bowl out and there was some liquid and gelatinous yellow gunk in it. Yuk! I wiped that off and replaced. I didn’t dismantle the carb and just replaced the bowl. Still nothing. The engine turns over once but I don’t it hearing trying to catch. I ran out of time so I’ll have to try again next weekend. Will take out the carburetor and clean it.

PaulMys
10-25-2018, 09:05 PM
So I replaced the shut off valve and the bushing. I could have just ordered the bushing since that’s what was damaged but I didn’t realize they were two different items. Oh well. It was a pain in the rear to get the new pieces in place. Added new gas but it still didn’t fire up. I took the carburetor bowl out and there was some liquid and gelatinous yellow gunk in it. Yuk! I wiped that off and replaced. I didn’t dismantle the carb and just replaced the bowl. Still nothing. The engine turns over once but I don’t it hearing trying to catch. I ran out of time so I’ll have to try again next weekend. Will take out the carburetor and clean it.

What engine (brand) is powering this generator?

If it is a Honda, their carbs are notoriously finicky, be it generators, snow blowers, outboards, whatever. If it is Honda powered, I'd just replace the carb out of hand. Don't waste money on rebuild kits.

Other brands, (Briggs, Kohler, etc) will be easier to install a rebuild kit.

Any older carburetors that are fitted with a rubber seat are doomed with the use of ethanol gas. It swells the seat up to the point of just letting gas drip through instead of flow through once the float and needle drop.

You can PM me at any time to talk more in-depth about this if you would like. :)