PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use a machine to remove LSP?

tampatopless
10-09-2018, 08:19 AM
Amateur detailer here. I have always used my trust Porter (bought here) to polish my vehicles and to apply LSP.

However, I always remove my LSP by hand.

I would like to switch to a machine for that removal. A few questions:

1. Can I use my DA for this? If so, what type pad is best?
2. Should I invest in a rotary for this?
3. I have a problem with swirl marks. Is using a machine to remove LSP gonna make this any worse?

Tx. in advance.

Bruno Soares
10-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Probably a microfiber bonnet over a pad to remove the LSP. I haven't done it and I think that could cause problems if anything gets trapped between the DA and the paint. You'd add all the swirls you just removed back. But let's see if anyone has tried it and can vouch for the idea.

tampatopless
10-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Probably a microfiber bonnet over a pad to remove the LSP. I haven't done it and I think that could cause problems if anything gets trapped between the DA and the paint. You'd add all the swirls you just removed back. But let's see if anyone has tried it and can vouch for the idea.

Yeah, I did a search on here and unearthed a Mike Phillips thread on slipping the bonnet over a pad and you can definitely use a DA. I'm just wondering how many people do it.

Sonic Pilot
10-09-2018, 12:23 PM
I too have often wondered about this technique. Don't see many people talking about it here though. It seems that if you used a MF bonnet over a pad, that it would clog fairly quickly. You would be changing bonnets pretty frequently I think extending the time required to remove the LSP.

It might just be quicker to wipe by hand.

oneheadlite
10-09-2018, 12:33 PM
A while back I asked Griot's about their wax removal pad/bonnets while calling them about a different product. At the time, even they recommended them more if you had a physical disability preventing you from being able to do it by hand.

Like others mentioned, I'd be worried about the prospect of the removal bonnet loading up too fast or the risk of picking up something and rubbing it into your freshly polished paint.

Thankfully with today's products, wipe off of polish and especially LSPs is so much easier that I don't think you'd really save any time trying to use a machine. Remembering to apply thin is also a huge aid to removal.

Just my 2 cents

FUNX650
10-09-2018, 02:11 PM
:xyxthumbs:...”Best in Class” Wax Removal Bonnet...:xyxthumbs:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/DD82F0D9-A12B-4C59-904B-B58CF51C6578.png

Bob

custmsprty
10-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Never, you'd need to be changing bonnets all the time. I easily use a dozen mf towels when removing lsp's. And thats using then in 1/4 folds too.

acuRAS82
10-09-2018, 06:55 PM
How are you all removing the LSP? Pre-Wax Cleaner by hand? Paint prep spray or alcohol by hand? I’m missing something here.

acuRAS82
10-09-2018, 06:59 PM
^^oh, removing LSP residue... my bad

PaulMys
10-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Never, you'd need to be changing bonnets all the time. I easily use a dozen mf towels when removing lsp's. And thats using then in 1/4 folds too.

Exactly.

Same reason I do not apply it by machine either. In each case I can work more quickly (and carefully) by hand.

I know that some disagree with me, or even call my technique "wrong", but let me pose this question: Would you apply a coating by machine?

To me, the intricacies are the same. JMO........

DetailZeus
10-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Exactly.

Same reason I do not apply it by machine either. In each case I can work more quickly (and carefully) by hand.

I know that some disagree with me, or even call my technique "wrong", but let me pose this question: Would you apply a coating by machine?

I'm faster by machine when I use the "kiss the finish" technique AND I use much less product. I do lose a few minutes pulling out the cord out for the DA. I get your point though.

I gotta ask though what sealant is so hard to remove that you need a machine?

SWETM
10-10-2018, 04:07 AM
Exactly.

Hehe Polish Angel coatings you can apply by machine. But other than that there are any else I have seen. There is some coating toppers that can be applyied by machine too. The removal though is not something I do by machine.

Desertnate
10-10-2018, 07:55 AM
I'm faster by machine when I use the "kiss the finish" technique AND I use much less product.

This is why I use a DA for sealants. I also find the application of LSP is far more even across the entire surface when using a DA as well.

DBAILEY
10-10-2018, 10:16 AM
I have used MF bonnets to buff some things after towel removal. Some products like Z8 and the PA High Gloss seem to be helped by the heat.