PDA

View Full Version : does diluted bleach damage clearcoat

Toolhead
10-08-2018, 10:32 AM
car was in the garage and the painters pressure washed the house.

noticed some water got into the garage door panel seams and had some (little) water that made it onto the car.

they were using a pressure washer and had the detergent line in a bottle of bleach.

any concerns about the diluted bleach damaging the clearcoat?

BudgetPlan1
10-08-2018, 10:45 AM
car was in the garage and the painters pressure washed the house.

noticed some water got into the garage door panel seams and had some (little) water that made it onto the car.

they were using a pressure washer and had the detergent line in a bottle of bleach.

any concerns about the diluted bleach damaging the clearcoat?

I doubt it. I work for a pool company and 12.5% bleach/liquid chlorine (store bought is around 5.25-8%) gets splashed all around our service vehicles and I have yet to see any get stained, have a reaction with bare paint (or on the numerous fleet vehicles we have coated). Heck, these guys sometimes spill/splash Muriatic Acid around and I've seen no ill effects on the paint.

Definitely can't help it in any way and I'd certainly rinse it off but generally I think it'll be just fine. May have some effect on wax or sealant but underlying paint is safe.

Toolhead
10-08-2018, 10:50 AM
I doubt it. I work for a pool company and 12.5% bleach/liquid chlorine (store bought is around 5.25-8%) gets splashed all around our service vehicles and I have yet to see any get stained, have a reaction with bare paint (or on the numerous fleet vehicles we have coated). Heck, these guys sometimes spill/splash Muriatic Acid around and I've seen no ill effects on the paint.

this is helping my ocd headache..lol..thanks.

again it was duliuted via the pressure washer detergent line and im thinking most of what actually made it through some of the garage door seams was water during the pressure wash part b/c the detergent black tip doesn't have much pressure

so im thinking what actually landed on the car was probably fairly well diluted bleach.

I hit a MF towel with some detailer spray to wipe up the areas that got wet.

paulsiu
10-08-2018, 03:13 PM
It would still be a good idea to rinse off any residue just in case.

Paul

glen e
10-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Clearcoat is a lot tougher than you think. Personally, I've only seen one household product that has messed up clearcoat and that's a high powered adhesive remover called goof off, not to be confused with Goo gone. But I've used vinegar, alcohol, acetone, simple green and a few other products and I've never done any damage. Obviously this doesn't mean you let the products dwell on the surface, But a quick wipe is no problem.

swanicyouth
10-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Used it once to wash a black car - was white when I was done

FUNX650
10-08-2018, 07:26 PM
so im thinking what actually landed on the
car was probably fairly well diluted bleach.

I hit a MF towel with some detailer spray
to wipe up the areas that got wet.
In that case:
I’m hoping it was well diluted.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/660C7107-CEF8-46D0-99EB-46ECABB391C5.jpeg

Bob

PaulMys
10-08-2018, 07:41 PM
In that case:
I’m hoping it was well diluted.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/660C7107-CEF8-46D0-99EB-46ECABB391C5.jpeg

Bob

See? Bob took the time to find his best MF towel to show you this.............. :xyxthumbs: