PDA

View Full Version : Help: Can't take advantage of durable waxes/sealants due to dirty paint

Pages : [1] 2

CarefulCleaner
10-08-2018, 03:18 AM
I'm dealing with single-stage white paint that gets visibly dirty after a month or so. It's a daily driver that gets a two-bucket OR waterless wash followed by a spray wax every week. A paint cleaner fixes the problem easily (see pic below), but then I have to wax/sealant again. But this is not cost effective. The waxes/sealants I use can last from 3-6 months, but I am forced to apply them every month, unless I don't care for a "dingy, gray finish (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-and-frequently-asked-questions/22982-lesson-white-paint-teaches-us.html)":

https://i.imgur.com/H9mXxzg.png

Thus, is there a way to protect single-stage white paint so that it doesn't get dirty so quickly? Or, is there a special kind of product (except coatings) that prevents this kind of dirt buildup?

Eldorado2k
10-08-2018, 03:36 AM
I'm dealing with single-stage white paint that gets visibly dirty after a month or so. It's a daily driver that gets a two-bucket OR waterless wash followed by a spray wax every week. A paint cleaner fixes the problem easily (see pic below), but then I have to wax/sealant again. But this is not cost effective. The waxes/sealants I use can last from 3-6 months, but I am forced to apply them every month, unless I don't care for a "dingy, gray finish (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-and-frequently-asked-questions/22982-lesson-white-paint-teaches-us.html)":

Thus, is there a way to protect single-stage white paint so that it doesn't get dirty so quickly? Or, is there a special kind of product (except coatings) that prevents this kind of dirt buildup?

Quit using the spray wax after every wash.. See what happens.

CarefulCleaner
10-08-2018, 03:37 AM
Quit using the spray wax after every wash.. See what happens.

Is the spray wax the culprit? Interesting, I'll give it a try, thanks.

Eldorado2k
10-08-2018, 03:42 AM
Is the spray wax the culprit? Interesting, I'll give it a try, thanks.

IMO there’s a possibility that the spray wax is removing/replacing the sealant you’ve layed down and leaving you with only the spray wax to protect the paint, which leaves you with inferior protection than you initially had.

CarefulCleaner
10-08-2018, 03:46 AM
IMO there’s a possibility that the spray wax is removing/replacing the sealant you’ve layed down and leaving you with only the spray wax to protect the paint, which leaves you with inferior protection than you initially had.

I guess I made the false assumption that everything just layered on top of another. I've been using D156 by the way.

acuRAS82
10-08-2018, 10:52 AM
I’m not sure anyone knows the answer for sure (how certain spray waxes react with certain lsps), but try Eldo’s suggestion and if possible, please report back. I’m interested in the results.

DetailZeus
10-08-2018, 11:36 AM
That's crazy I would expect paint to look like that after two years of hard use. What sealant are you using? And do you live near construction or something industrial?

CarefulCleaner
10-11-2018, 02:08 AM
I’m not sure anyone knows the answer for sure (how certain spray waxes react with certain lsps), but try Eldo’s suggestion and if possible, please report back. I’m interested in the results.

I skipped the spray wax this week already and will continue to note if there are any improvements.

That's crazy I would expect paint to look like that after two years of hard use. What sealant are you using? And do you live near construction or something industrial?

I'm using Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax, which is why I thought using another product from Meguiar's, the D156 spray wax, would "synergize" well with its sister product. I don't live near anything that would produce an excessive amount of fallout, so I'm bewildered by the situation, too. Based on Mike's article, my best guess is that white, especially single-stage, paint is just difficult to maintain.

acuRAS82
10-11-2018, 04:57 AM
I'm using Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax, which is why I thought using another product from Meguiar's, the D156 spray wax, would "synergize" well with its sister product.

I do think this too, and don’t want to believe that UQW would remove something below it to the extent of killing it so quickly, which is why I’m interested in your results. Thanks for checking back in!

2black1s
10-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Your vehicle and situation sounds like a perfect candidate for an All-In-One product to me. Quit using the separate cleaner/polish/sealant products and processes and replace with a one-step cleaner wax.

Eldorado2k
10-12-2018, 02:56 AM
Did you start over from scratch? I know it’s a chore [not that many of us would really mind on our own vehicle] but that’s the only way to get a true reading.

ducksfan
10-12-2018, 04:00 AM
Your vehicle and situation sounds like a perfect candidate for an All-In-One product to me. Quit using the separate cleaner/polish/sealant products and processes and replace with a one-step cleaner wax.
This would be the next thing I would try. Then after it sat a few hours (or the next time you washed it), I would wipe it down with something like a Sonax PNS.

Try that process on the hood or trunk and see what kind of results you get compared to other methods on various parts of the vehicle.

Submariner
10-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Wash, clay, jewel polish 3M Ultrafina SE, then Collinite 476S (Collinite lasts well for 8 months ) and still has some protective coating 11 months later!
Normally left for 6 months, the beading is very good then.
Illness made the long trial mandatory ... I was shocked anything was left on it.
Collinite 476S is the Best I have found e.g. in comparison Autoglyms SRP imo lasts 2 weeks! (Expensive and Useless!)

Mantilgh
10-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Maybe you just need a better cleaning wash if it is easily removed by a cleaner wax.

Have you tried a stronger wash or a light mix of APC with your two bucket wash?

It may be road film that your current wash and waterless wash can’t remove.

Megs D114 was the only waterless wash I’ve used that been good at removing it.

gregpack
10-13-2018, 06:38 PM
Take a look at duragloss 501. Good cleaner and very durable.