PDA

View Full Version : The melting point of Carnuba wax?

Sonic Pilot
09-29-2018, 07:52 PM
Anyone know for a fact, what the melting point of Carnuba is when used in a typical automotive wax? For those of us residing in the desert southwest where summertime temperatures can reach 115F, this is of particular interest.
It is not uncommon for the surface of a black a car, parked in direct sunlight to exceed 160F.

If possible, if anyone does know, could you please list the source of the information.

sudsmobile
09-29-2018, 08:39 PM
I believe it's 140* but I will not list the source of the information because I really don't care enough to do that. ;)

sudsmobile
09-29-2018, 08:41 PM
It appears the internet lists the melting point somewhere between 160 and 185 degrees, so who knows for sure?

LMGTFY (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=melting+point+of+carnauba+wax)

FUNX650
09-29-2018, 09:05 PM
•Depends on the testing methods that
a person uses. Examples: Drop Method;
Capillary Tube; or Float Method.

•I prefer to go by the results found via
the Float Method (it is considered to be
the most accurate method by Scientists
involved in finding melting points, soften-
ing points, fracture points, etc. of Waxes.

Move to the point of order:
•The Float Method determines that Carnauba
Wax’s melting point is: 86°C/186.8°F

Source:
”Industrial & Engineering Chemistry,
Analytical Edition”; Vol. 4

Bob

Sonic Pilot
09-29-2018, 09:22 PM
•Depends on the testing methods that
a person uses. Examples: Drop Method;
Capillary Tube; or Float Method.

•I prefer to go by the results found via
the Float Method (it is considered to be
the most accurate method by Scientists
involved in finding melting points, soften-
ing points, fracture points, etc. of Waxes.

Move to the point of order:
•The Float Method determines that Carnauba
Wax’s melting point is: 86°C/186.8°F

Source:
”Industrial & Engineering Chemistry,
Analytical Edition”; Vol. 4

Bob

Ahh....that's it! I do recall seeing something similar to this somewhere a while back. After some researching and trying to find it again, without success, I thought I would ask here. THANK YOU for supplying that data! You da man!

KyleBis2
09-30-2018, 04:42 AM
Ive had some issues with cheaper carnauba waxes here in CT. One vehicle had Megs carnauba plus applied after a wash and clay. Over the summer as it sat outside, the wax turned white everywhere. Not sure if it had to do with a problem from application or if it was the heat. Just a thought

itsgn
09-30-2018, 05:30 AM
Ive had some issues with cheaper carnauba waxes here in CT. One vehicle had Megs carnauba plus applied after a wash and clay. Over the summer as it sat outside, the wax turned white everywhere. Not sure if it had to do with a problem from application or if it was the heat. Just a thought
Carnauba turns white when it dries and is present in measurable thickness (ie. more than a few microns). However, if used properly, there should not be enough of the carnauba left on the surface to actually exhibit that property of the compound.

If a wax turns white, that means that it has not been wiped off properly, and it's present in a layer too thick, or even in the form of some larger chunks or smears. However, even in this case, the drying process and the wax turning white takes only a few hours to a few days max, but definitely can't happen "over the summer" (as in the terms of taking weeks or even months).

If something like this happens, then there's likely something else at work, and there was most likely some other kind of compound reacting with the wax or even possibly causing the whitening completely independent of the wax.

KyleBis2
09-30-2018, 02:16 PM
Carnauba turns white when it dries and is present in measurable thickness (ie. more than a few microns). However, if used properly, there should not be enough of the carnauba left on the surface to actually exhibit that property of the compound.

If a wax turns white, that means that it has not been wiped off properly, and it's present in a layer too thick, or even in the form of some larger chunks or smears. However, even in this case, the drying process and the wax turning white takes only a few hours to a few days max, but definitely can't happen "over the summer" (as in the terms of taking weeks or even months).

If something like this happens, then there's likely something else at work, and there was most likely some other kind of compound reacting with the wax or even possibly causing the whitening completely independent of the wax.

That was my thought with not removing it thoroughly. Its a car that sits all day and i rushed the process just to get some protection on it. Not sure on exactly how long it took to whiten, but was definitely longer than a few hours.

Coach Steve
09-30-2018, 03:05 PM
The following is from AG's page for Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Wax, and although it doesn't state specifically the melting point of caranauba, it does list the temp to which it provides protection.
Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax (https://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html)

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax provides ultra heat-resistant, long-wearing paint protection with a high tech, German-inspired synthetic formula. No other wax stands up to temperatures above 250 degrees like Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax! Your vehicle benefits from outstanding protection and a high gloss shine.

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax was developed from a West German process called Synthesis, which created a blend of advanced pure synthetic materials. The result is a paste wax characterized by a melting temperature exceeding 250 degrees, extreme hardness, extreme slickness, high gloss, and intensive wear without the quality fluctuations found in natural waxes. Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax consistently gives your vehicle a beautiful shine with exceptional durability.

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax delivers heavy duty resistance to UV, hard water, acid rain, bug remains, tree sap, and other contaminants. It's an ideal car wax for daily drivers in hot, sunny climates. The high melting temperature surpasses even carnauba wax, which has the highest melting point of any natural wax. Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax's synthetic formula doesn't break a sweat!

Use Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax on all automotive paint, gel coat and metal surfaces including critical aircraft surfaces. It's durability makes it a great choice for boats and RVs, too.

Apply Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax using a soft, clean foam applicator. Spread on a thin, even coat in a circular motion. Allow the wax to dry for 10-15 minutes. Buff with a clean Cobra Microfiber Towel.

On days so hot you see heat waves rising off your car hood, you don't have to worry about your wax. Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax lasts through intense heat to continue providing excellent paint protection.

Sonic Pilot
09-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Hello Coach Steve,
Prior to posting this thread I did look into Finish Kare Hi-Temp wax. It is not a Carnuba wax. In the product description it is described as a "synthetic" wax product. In my view this is another one of those confusing marketing descriptions we all to often see.

Although they label it as wax, this is (in my opinion) in fact just another "sealant". If you didn't previously read the label that says "wax" and only read the product description, I think most would conclude that this is a "sealant" and not actually a wax.

It seems the industry for the most part agrees that the term wax is meant to describe a product containing Carnuba or other natural wax ingredients, and Sealant describes products that are synthetic.

itsgn
09-30-2018, 03:52 PM
That was my thought with not removing it thoroughly. Its a car that sits all day and i rushed the process just to get some protection on it. Not sure on exactly how long it took to whiten, but was definitely longer than a few hours.
When in rush it usually makes sense to use some hybrid spray wax or outright sealant instead of a regular wax. The application itself is already a lot faster, and when not wiped off properly, these usually don't leave a residue back that whitens with time. Some of them might still leave back faint streaks in this case (which show as slight differences in color tone of the paint), but for one, those streaks are usually less noticeable (especially for "laymen") than the white chunks of wax residue, and in most cases can be still wiped off easily even after days off application, or the environmental factors will make them essentially disappear on their own, with time.