PDA

View Full Version : Does carnauba have a cure time?

Pages : [1] 2

DavidAl
09-28-2018, 10:39 PM
What happens if I apply a carnauba wax and it starts raining a few hours later? Will I have wasted my time?

Thanks.

custmsprty
09-28-2018, 11:04 PM
Shouldn't matter.

pickles
09-28-2018, 11:41 PM
A lot of Carnauba products state in the description that they can be layered.

Most sealant descriptions give a cure time.

FUNX650
09-29-2018, 01:03 AM
Re: Does carnauba have a cure time?

•If there are no time constraints for a
vehicle’s availability, I try to allot ~12-24
hour time period for a natural-based Wax,
such as Carnauba Wax, “to harden”.

-On the other hand, some may call the
process that occurs during that ~12-24
time period “cure time”.

{To clarify: I try my utmost to keep the
“cure time” terminology associated with
synthetic-based paint LSPs.}

What happens if I apply a carnauba wax
and it starts raining a few hours later?

Will I have wasted my time?

IMO: No

Bob

itsgn
09-29-2018, 03:49 AM
What happens if I apply a carnauba wax and it starts raining a few hours later? Will I have wasted my time?
IMHO the "cure time" is the time until the wax hazes up, because the solvents from it have evaporated. So by the time you buffed it off, the wax has already "cured".

Kamakaz1961
09-29-2018, 12:56 PM
IMO No. You have 2 types of waxes. Wax On and Wipe off and Wipe on wait til it hazes and then wipe off. I think most are cured at that time. I could be wrong, however, I would not worry if it rains a couple of hours later. All I know is that if it rains a couple of hours after a detail...THAT SUCKS!....LOL

Rsurfer
09-29-2018, 01:57 PM

Thanks.

If it doesn't bead, your screwed.

itsgn
09-29-2018, 04:36 PM
IMO No. You have 2 types of waxes. Wax On and Wipe off and Wipe on wait til it hazes and then wipe off.
The OP specifically asked about carnauba. And carnauba - or anything with a substantial amount of carnauba in it - is definitely not a wipe on-wipe off product. The latter application technique is specific to polymer based synthetic products, which cure faster, however, are not actually waxes (and especially not carnauba wax), regardless of their manufacturer possibly calling them that in their product names.

For ex. Meguiar's calls their Ultimate Wax obviously a wax, even though it has no natural wax in it whatsoever, but is a fully synthetic product. There are also hybrid products, like Meguiar's Gold Class Wax, which has both natural wax and polymers, but is still called a wax. Actually, most - if not all - modern products that are called "wax" are either partially or fully synthetic polymers nowadays. And they're only called waxes for marketing reasons, and because ordinary laymen have no clue what's a sealant, but did definitely hear of waxes. So, that's (ie. a "wax") what they'll be looking for, and product name is formulated with that in mind.

But if a product has any substantial amount of natural wax in it, it definitely can not be just wiped on and wiped off, and still leave actual wax back on the surface.

Kamakaz1961
09-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Sorry but you are wrong. I can give many examples of a carnauba wax that is a wax on wax off wax. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is a perfect example. I can name many others too.

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Carnauba Wax is Brilliant on Red- Awesome on Black! Souver?n? is hand poured, one container at a time, and boxed with an (https://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html)

Loach
09-29-2018, 05:20 PM
Other than coatings, off the top of my head nothing else has really stood out as having a performance boost by specifically waiting 12-24 hours for anything to cure, compared to rinsing an hour after application. I suppose it’s possible there’s an impact in the long term but that becomes irrelevant once a topper is applied IMO. So with your wax I wouldn’t worry much if it gets wet, enjoy the beads!

PaulMys
09-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Wolfgang DGPS needs at least 12 hours of cure time.

(Ask me how I know this....) Lol

FUNX650
09-29-2018, 05:43 PM
IMHO the "cure time" is the time until the
wax hazes up, because the solvents from it
have evaporated. So by the time you buffed
it off, the wax has already "cured".
•I, on the other hand, call the time that it
takes for the Wax to haze-up, the Wax’s
drying-time.

•Then:
-Once the Wax has dried/hazed-up; those dry,
hazy residues have been removed; and, it has
undergone an obligatory buffing process—that’s
the very beginning of the Wax’s total curing-time.

•What is the total cure-time of Waxes
formulated from naturally-based ingredients,
such as Carnauba Wax?

Which leads back to the OP’s original questioning.
•In a nutshell:
-Is it harmful (in any way, shape, or form) if
naturally-based Waxes become “wetted” before
they have completed their total cure-time?

Bob

acuRAS82
09-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Sorry but you are wrong. I can give many examples of a carnauba wax that is a wax on wax off wax. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is a perfect example. I can name many others too.

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Carnauba Wax is Brilliant on Red- Awesome on Black! Souver?n? is hand poured, one container at a time, and boxed with an (https://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html)

Yes. Most the PBMG (and McKee's) Paste waxes are WOWO. I believe P21S is too (can’t remember if you’re supposed to wait x time though).

itsgn
09-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Sorry but you are wrong.
Wrong about what?

I can give many examples of a carnauba wax that is a wax on wax off wax. Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is a perfect example.
Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is a perfect example of a HYBRID wax that has polymers added to it (https://www.pinnaclewax.com/waxes.html).

I can name many others too.
I'm sure you can name a lot of products that have either "wax" in their names, or even have some carnauba in them - or both. But that's not what we're talking about here though, even though I've addressed those, too.

itsgn
09-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Yes. Most the PBMG (and McKee's) Paste waxes are WOWO.
McKee's 37 Carnauba Paste Wax is also a hybrid wax, with added polymers (https://www.mckees37.com/best-car-wax.html).