PDA

View Full Version : Xzilon coating vs Collinite 945 winter detail

Pages : [1] 2

ace5000
09-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Hello All,

This is my first post here but a long time lurker!

I am having my 2018 Ridgeline detailed on Saturday. I live in NE Ohio (CLE) which is hell on wheels in the Winter - literally;
cold, snow, rain, salt, dirt, etc.

My detailer gave me a choice of (2) applications:

1. Wash, clay bar, Collinite 945 (my initial choice through much research)

2. His recommendation: Wash, clay bar, Xzilon coating!

Either option is $100.00

I've read about the Xzilon coating, it is applied at dealerships and demands big bucks for the application and warranty. I don't know what it is really...sealer, coating? My detailer said it should last about a year and would be better than any wax.

What would you do?

Thanks!

Eldorado2k
09-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Hello All,

This is my first post here but a long time lurker!

I am having my 2018 Ridgeline detailed on Saturday. I live in NE Ohio (CLE) which is hell on wheels in the Winter - literally;
cold, snow, rain, salt, dirt, etc.

My detailer gave me a choice of (2) applications:

1. Wash, clay bar, Collinite 945 (my initial choice through much research)

2. His recommendation: Wash, clay bar, Xzilon coating!

Either option is $100.00

I've read about the Xzilon coating, it is applied at dealerships and demands big bucks for the application and warranty. I don't know what it is really...sealer, coating? My detailer said it should last about a year and would be better than any wax.

What would you do?

Thanks!

Wow you’d be overpaying for the Colonite option... I’m not familiar with the other option, but if they’re similar enough to cost the same then I can’t imagine that costing way more than it should for that job.

IME clay pretty much never picks up any contaminants off of wheels, I know it may sound crazy but there’s never contaminants on wheels... Not to mention it’s a 2018 so your wheels should be as good as new as they sit. You could just simply wipe on wipe off any good sealant including Colonite in a matter of minutes and save yourself $100. Or some people like to go with spray on hose off coatings such as McKee’s Hydro Blue or similar options that are very easy to apply.

Just my 2 cents.

UncleDavy
09-27-2018, 05:01 PM
$100 seems a lot for a coat of Collinite but it seems like the going rate for the home version of Xzilon. I personally do not have any experience with Xzilon coating but I found an interesting response right here on the forum from 2010. The gentleman was answering a question about Xzilon.

I used to apply xzilon at a dealership, it seems to be a great sealant. I would compare it to 4* UPP in protection, but the dealership price on it is more for the warranty than the actual product. By having xzilon installed by the dealership, the paint is warrantied against oxidation and fading for 5 years; but there are loopholes in the system that don't allow most people to cash in on the warranty if something goes wrong with their paint.

The loopholes are that in the fine print, it says the warranty is void if you use a brush carwash or any not touchless carwash system...hand wash is ok. The way the dealership can tell if the car has been voided is by the pattern of scratches on the paint. Also no paintwork correction can be done outside the dealership.

Overall, the interior xzilon protection is outstanding, the paint protection is equivalent to a good sealant, and the price is for the warranty not the product itself.

acuRAS82
09-27-2018, 05:22 PM
Is this $100 for the paint, wheels, or both? I assumed paint at first. Eldo thought you meant wheels. The answer might help explain the price a bit better.

Eldorado2k
09-27-2018, 05:24 PM
Is this $100 for the paint, wheels, or both? I assumed paint at first. Eldo thought you meant wheels. The answer might help explain the price a bit better.

I was under the assumption he only meant the wheels...

FUNX650
09-27-2018, 07:03 PM
•IMO:
-Xzilon is no more than a “standard”
sealing product.

-Unless this Detailer is going to give you,
in writing, the exact same Warranty as does
the Dealership for their $700+ application of
their version of Xzilon (even though it’s often
a genuine PIA to have it honored) I would
strongly recommend to pass on the Xzilon.

-If you are not going to be the one that’s going
to wash, clay, and seal your vehicle...then $100
is a reasonable price to have it done by a licensed
and insured Detailer.

Bob

PaulMys
09-27-2018, 07:56 PM
I have no experience with Xzilon, but I have plenty of experience with Collinite products.

A do it yourselfer can wash, clay bar, and apply any of the Collinite line in an afternoon.

The 100 dollar price tag is fair, but why not tackle this yourself?

ace5000
09-28-2018, 04:31 PM
We didn't talk about wheels... I'l mention it. Thanks.

So Xzilon for a hundred is the way to go? I can't do this stuff on my own...

PS I am taking about the exterior Xzilon coating.

Eldorado2k
09-28-2018, 05:06 PM
I must’ve read through your post too fast. Lol.

FUNX650
09-28-2018, 05:12 PM
So Xzilon for a hundred is the way to go?
I can't do this stuff on my own...
No; not in my opinion.

Bob

acuRAS82
09-28-2018, 05:43 PM
No; not in my opinion.

Bob

Not in my opinion either. If you don’t want to clay and wax yourself, DEFINITELY go with 915

ace5000
09-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Xzilion is out! haha

OK, now the guy says he will do a coating of NANOSKIN Mega tread for $200.00 paint only. Not a lot of reviews but doesn't sound bad...

Comments?
Thanks.

MattPersman
09-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Xzilion is out! haha

OK, now the guy says he will do a coating of NANOSKIN Mega tread for $200.00 paint only. Not a lot of reviews but doesn't sound bad...

Comments?
Thanks.

Considering it’s 135 for the coating itself that’s a pretty great deal. Worth a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlmccarty2000
09-29-2018, 07:18 PM
I googled the Nanoskin Mega Trend and it is $159 just to purchase the kit. His $200 price doesn’t sound legitimate. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is. But if this guy is offering a full correction and a nano coating for $200 he will be out of business very quickly. Sounds like he left off a zero on that quote.

ace5000
09-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Did the NANOSKIN Mega trend. It looks so darn good!

He clayed with this "Ceramic detail spray" stuff, and applied the Mega trend. He may have gotten a deal on it, I don't know but I saw the bottle.

No full correction, but it's a 2018 with under a year on it.

Thanks for all your responses!