PDA

View Full Version : Taking care of new paint; did my body shop wax it?0

TheRealBFKR
09-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Hi Mike,

I just got my 1-month old car back from the body shop. I had a detailing mishap and had to have color blended out on the rear quarter panel and the entire rear 1/4 panel + sail panel + rocker panel recleared.

I am fairly happy with the job, the match is quite good and I don’t think anyone but me can ever tell it was done (I know where to look for the end of the new clear coat in the door jamb)

While looking over the rubber trims, I noticed polish or wax like residue. I understand if it’s polish, but I am paranoid that the detailing boy didn’t realize he wasn’t suppose to wax a newly painted panel. How can I tell if the panel was waxed? And if so, should I try and remove the wax for the paint to cure properly?

FUNX650
09-27-2018, 08:08 PM
I am paranoid that the detailing boy
didn’t realize he wasn’t suppose to
wax a newly painted panel. How can
I tell if the panel was waxed? And if so,
should I try and remove the wax for
the paint to cure properly?
Personally...
I would seek answers to these questions
from the Body Shop’s proprietor.

(IMO: No need take to the
“detailing boy” to task.)

Bob

Rrthomas78
09-27-2018, 08:21 PM
He knows or else he wouldn't be working there...if it's in your door jamb near the seals it's more likely than not that he was polishing away over spray and any reputable body shop would not have an ounce of wax in the building there's absolutely no need for it

Sent from my 6062W using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Farmallluvr
09-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Personally...
I would seek answers to these questions
from the Body Shop’s proprietor.

(IMO: No need take to the
“detailing boy” to task.)

Bob

this,it's probably just a little compound or polish,,,just wipe it out or bring it back and have them do it

Mike Phillips
10-04-2018, 04:39 AM
Hi Mike,

I just got my 1-month old car back from the body shop. I had a detailing mishap and had to have color blended out on the rear quarter panel and the entire rear 1/4 panel + sail panel + rocker panel recleared.

I am fairly happy with the job, the match is quite good and I don’t think anyone but me can ever tell it was done (I know where to look for the end of the new clear coat in the door jamb)

While looking over the rubber trims, I noticed polish or wax like residue. I understand if it’s polish, but I am paranoid that the detailing boy didn’t realize he wasn’t suppose to wax a newly painted panel.

Sorry for the late reply, been a tick busy teaching classes and writing....

How can I tell if the panel was waxed?

You can't. AT least not without a very elaborate and expensive testing process.

And if so, should I try and remove the wax for the paint to cure properly?

I've never seen fresh MODERN paint go bad because it was sealed too soon. I'm a HUGE proponent of waiting 30 days no matter what the experts on Facebook and YouTube tell you.

It's not their car when they give out their free advice.

But at this point, there's really not a lot you can do. After 30 days, clay if needed, then a light polish if needed and then seal the paint.

See my article here,

The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2017-new-car-detailing-how-article-mike-phillips/115736-most-common-place-get-overspray-your-car-body-shop-mike-phillips.html)

:)