PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection....what is the best option?

Pages : [1] 2

jserr68594
09-27-2018, 01:51 PM
I am awaiting the arrival of my new lightning blue super crew f150. I am trying to determine what is my best option for paint protection.

I am not one to wax every couple of months, but am not opposed to doing something say once a year. Professionally installed ceramic coating seems like it is the best (However expensive) option. A five year coating runs about $1000. It seems like a lot to spend.

What other options may be a good route to go? Is there something that can be applied by an amateur that will hold up for a reasonable period of time?

Bruno Soares
09-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Is length of duration and price your only concern? I mean the protection offered by a wax is inferior to the one offered by a sealant which in turn is inferior to a coating and nothing compares to paint protection film - especially the price.
The first 3 are doable by the customer, you don't need a multi-year ceramic coating, it's just not worth it. Lots of good consumer grade coatings that will give you 2 year protection and not break the bank. They're also not hard to apply.
If you really want to keep costs low but get good protection, go for Jescar Powerlock+ which is a great sealant. But if your new truck needs some correction (very likely) then maybe a light polish with sealant in it - like McKee's 37 360 - is a good choice.

Desertnate
09-27-2018, 02:07 PM
Are you willing to do the work yourself?

If you are doing the work yourself, there are lots of sealants which will last roughly six months. You can do a coating yourself which will last two years for less that $200 for all the prouducts needed to do the job, not including the price of a DA and pads.

From my experience I wouldn't want to go five years without re-doing the protection on a vehicle. After 18~24 months, the paint really needs to be cleaned and on a daily driver there will be a few swirls or other marks which can be polished away too in order to restore everything to the, "like new" appearance.

Sizzle Chest
09-27-2018, 07:22 PM
1.) Ceramic/Glass coating. Ease of maintenance, looks, durability, protection, etc. With proper maintenance, it does it all very well for quite some time. Longevity: 1-3 years realistically.

2.) Synthetic sealant. These will have some of the above characteristics, but will not last as long. Longevity: 4-10 months.

3.) Wax. Again, similar properties as above, however your longevity nose dives at around a 2-3 month maximum.

The above is for a well maintained vehicle that sees average use and is not abused.

If you want to delve into a coating, there are some consumer coatings that are very good and would serve you quite well for approximately 1 year +/-. Do some research, watch some videos and let us know what you decide to do!

Jon TDS
09-27-2018, 08:16 PM
Coating. Done it recently. Used CQUK 3.0 and McKee's. Both have their own learning curve but after a panel or two, you'll be able to pick it up similar to either wax or sealant.

Costly at first but as people have mentioned it pays off in the long run as your car will look glass like for a long time!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

gregpack
09-27-2018, 08:27 PM
is this a daily driver? Do you hand wash, or run through commercial car washes? I couldn't recommend a coating for someone that frequents automatic washes.

I'm testing durability of some sealants in touch free car washes right now and jescar powerlock is a strong contender. Its so easy to put on and take off, is sunlight friendly, and doesn't stain trim. I can't find anything wrong with it. It's about to be my go-to.

gregpack
09-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Oh, by the way, here's a great thread on sealant longevity.

Sealant comparison (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/116186-sealant-comparison.html)

He hasn't tested powerlock yet though.

paulsiu
09-28-2018, 05:42 PM
I am in the same boat. Sizzle Chest has listed the possible options 1) coating 2) Sealant 3) Wax. I notice that due to advances in chemistry, a lot of the category have become more mixed. You may have product that sort of cross between sealant and wax, etc.

In my humble opinion, wax melts in the heat, so would probably have a shorter life in high heat areas like Phoenix, this would be less of an issue in Exton, which is up North. Sealant in my opinion are probably a better bet.

I have watched some video on youtube on comparsion. Search for "sealant comparsion". I am thinking of using a sealant "Jescar Power Lock". Reviews talked about its durability.

Paul

FUNX650
09-29-2018, 02:49 PM
I am not one to wax every couple
of months, but am not opposed to
doing something say once a year.

Keeping the spirit of your above
sentiments in mind...I feel compelled
to suggest the following Sealant:

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax

Bob

Kamakaz1961
09-29-2018, 03:50 PM
Based on your post, I would COAT it BY YOURSELF. For $1,000 you could by all the necessary equipment and a decent consumer grade coating. My assumption is that your F150 will not be garaged and therefore out in the elements. Gyeon, Gtech, Polish Angel, McKee's and many well known brands have a consumer type coating that you could apply.

As for my ride, I use a sealant topped with a wax. My front and rear bumpers are coated. So I use all 3 methods of LSP. But my ride is a Garage Queen which is why I have a sealant topped with a wax or just a sealant or wax alone. The bumpers are made of plastic and are more porous and are more prone to get harmful elements that may affect your paint. Additionally, I enjoy detailing my ride so I came up with this compromise.

But again, If I had your situation, I would coat it. But YOU SHOULD COAT IT, not paying someone to do it.

Applying a coating is very easy. The difference (at least my 1st hand experience) is have PLENTY OF LIGHT and take your time. The weakness of a coating is streaks and high spots if you are not careful.

Getting to the LSP is the same process of a compound/polish and decontaminate process.

ScottH
09-29-2018, 06:27 PM
You also have the option of spray on products like McKees Hydro Ue and Blackfire’s SIO2 spray. If you are going to hand wash your truck every 1-2 months these products shine (no pun intended). I find these products particularly appealing when you have such a large vehicle.

ScottH

rlmccarty2000
09-29-2018, 06:53 PM
On the other hand $1000 is pretty fair for a professional coating. They are normally in the $2000-$3000 range especially for a truck.

You will still have to maintain the coating and that’s a whole different thread.

PaulMys
09-29-2018, 07:16 PM
I am awaiting the arrival of my new lightning blue super crew f150. I am trying to determine what is my best option for paint protection.

I am not one to wax every couple of months, but am not opposed to doing something say once a year. Professionally installed ceramic coating seems like it is the best (However expensive) option. A five year coating runs about $1000. It seems like a lot to spend.

What other options may be a good route to go? Is there something that can be applied by an amateur that will hold up for a reasonable period of time?

I can understand not wanting to apply a full wax/sealant every 4-8 weeks. But you stated "once a year".

How about every 6 months?

A great sealant/wax or both will give you this durability with no sweat.

Of course this depends on you at least washing it once a week or two, and using a nice topper/spray wax.

It's all up to you, but I would certainly make this time for a brand new truck.

(As a side note, the lightning blue paint is beautiful on the F-150. Congrats!)

jserr68594
10-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your input everyone!

Ebg18t
10-02-2018, 04:29 AM
If your not ready for a full coating application check out Mckees 37 Hydro Blue. It’s the easiest protection you will find. Simply mist on your wet paint after washing, re-rinse with High pressure water then dry the car. If you did this every couple months you would have great protection. Best of all it takes only minutes. Ive started using this on our coated cars to prolong the coating.

If not over used this bottle will treat the regular car 3-4x.

McKee's 37 Hydro Blue Sio2 Coating (https://www.autogeek.net/mckees-hydro-blue-coating.html)