PDA

View Full Version : Bizzare Question: can you use auto polish on Granite Worktops.

Submariner
09-27-2018, 01:07 PM
I only ask, as living in a hard water area ... I noticed around the sink area of our black granite, there was a sort of limescale haze. Despite the wife fastidiously wiping it down.

a call to the guys who installed it, resulted in an estimate of £300 to come and give it a quick polish.
in the end I used the trick of rubbing it with 0000 wire wool daubed with a good blob of Lithofin’s non abraisive polish creme.

Took about 3 hours to make it look like new. :(:(

then I thought I have a variable speed 1400W angle grinder and a cheapo M14 backing pad.
hmmm could you just stick on a cheap ebay microfibre pad and machine polish it?
Reckon you could Do that area in 15 mins.

Looking for similar to car compounds ... MB 20 Granite polish compound is $85!
i just wondered would 3Ms Yellow Extra fine polish do the same thing?

Note there are no scratches , its just a sort of final gloss up polish needed. (I know you need diamond abrasive pads to remove scratches in granite)

anyone tried it?

I am just not brave (or stupid) enough to risk putting a nice dull glaze in the middle of “her” worktop ... just dont fancy finding a bottle of paint stripper dumped on the roof of my S Class Coupe!

DaveT435
09-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Yes you can...it would probably remove the water spots, not nearly aggressive enough to repair any defects in the granite.
I would be afraid of using an aggressive compound. I've watched them put a gloss on cut pieces. I think they finish out with 600 grit wet sanding.
You might be better off using a water spot remover more frequently than letting it get so bad you need to compound/polish it off.

FUNX650
09-27-2018, 02:07 PM
•Let’s see:
-You “used the trick of rubbing it with
0000 wire wool daubed with a good
blob of Lithofin’s non abraisive polish
creme”... and made it look like new.

With that in mind:
Unless you would intentionally buff in an
unorthodox/(destructive) manner...I don’t
see how by just using 3Ms Yellow Extra fine
polish—coupled with a variable speed grinder
and buffing pads—could possibly be a more
aggressive approach than the one with which
you previously were successful.

JMO

Bob

Submariner
09-27-2018, 07:26 PM
•Let’s see:
-You “used the trick of rubbing it with
0000 wire wool daubed with a good
blob of Lithofin’s non abraisive polish
creme”... and made it look like new.

With that in mind:
Unless you would intentionally buff in an
unorthodox/(destructive) manner...I don’t
see how by just using 3Ms Yellow Extra fine
polish—coupled with a variable speed grinder
and buffing pads—could possibly be a more
aggressive approach than the one with which
you previously were successful.

JMO

Bob

I just wondered if it would put a deeper shine on it, and then use it as a maintenance routine.

I dont know how 0000 wire wool equates to polish or even 5000 grit .
But I was surprised it gleamed after doing it. But the trial patch worked.
Maybe all it did was remove the limescale bloom and reveal the original polished surface

Cleankat
09-27-2018, 07:39 PM
I've buffed my granite with good results. I use my DA and usually a cleaner wax and they are left gleaming. For tough water spots you may want to try something a bit more aggressive. I didn't have any tough spots. I polish and wax about every hard surface in my home. Yes I'm insane, when my wife caught me waxing the toilet I thought the relationship may be over but we survived it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

joleyred
09-27-2018, 07:58 PM
I've buffed my granite with good results. I use my DA and usually a cleaner wax and they are left gleaming. For tough water spots you may want to try something a bit more aggressive. I didn't have any tough spots. I polish and wax about every hard surface in my home. Yes I'm insane, when my wife caught me waxing the toilet I thought the relationship may be over but we survived it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkNow that's hilarious

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk