PDA

View Full Version : Pad & Polisher recommendations

Pages : [1] 2

smriddlert
09-25-2018, 04:26 PM
I’m looking to buy a FLEX 3401 and wanted to ask what pads everyone uses? I also want to make sure that the Flex is going to tackle everything I want to do. I plan on using it for wetsanding, compounding, polishing and waxing. What pad line-up would be best to tackle all of these tasks with the 3401?

Thanks!

BudgetPlan1
09-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Lake Country Force Hybrid

Buff & Shine Uro Fibers work well also. Did remarkably well w GG Correcting Cream on average, every day Ford paint.

sudsmobile
09-25-2018, 05:04 PM
Force Hybrid are the only ones I use.

Dr Oldz
09-25-2018, 05:27 PM
I agree. The Force Hybrid pads are awesome. But thru the years, pretty much any pad worked great on it. I will say the LC Hydro Tech cyan pads do have a shortened life span on the 3401 tho.

dlc95
09-25-2018, 06:34 PM
I agree. The Force Hybrid pads are awesome. But thru the years, pretty much any pad worked great on it. I will say the LC Hydro Tech cyan pads do have a shortened life span on the 3401 tho.

Hydros are probably the least durable on any tool.

That being said, they deliver some nice results.

Paul A.
09-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Force Hybrids here, too!

smriddlert
09-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Does pad size matter? Pretty sure my current setup is 6" and I like how the equipment isn't so big and bulky. (I started off by using a 7 or 8" rotary.)

As far as your heavy cut, I read microfiber pads work the best. Any truth to this? How about wetsanding pads? Any thoughts on a specific brand?

What are your pad choices? I was thinking of just narrowing it down to three. Heavy cut, polish and wax..?

Final question... Do you all use paste or liquid LSP's (waxes/sealants)? If liquid, do you apply them by hand or by machine? What yields the best results?

Thank you all for your time and effort in responding!

Dr Oldz
09-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Hydros are probably the least durable on any tool.

That being said, they deliver some nice results.

Agreed. I change them often to help save them. They give great results no doubt. I’m a big fan. The 3401 really chews them up fast tho. But I’m usually ok with that as It means I can work fast and efficiently.

sudsmobile
09-25-2018, 08:40 PM
Agreed. I change them often to help save them. They give great results no doubt. I’m a big fan. The 3401 really chews them up fast tho. But I’m usually ok with that as It means I can work fast and efficiently.

I buy them in 12 packs. I'm willing to sacrifice a few bucks to get the job done quicker for sure.

dcjredline
09-26-2018, 12:20 AM
Ive been using the Force Orange pads on my FLEX and cant complain. Since I am ready for new ones I am trying the SDO's and I have a wet sanded repainted Civic coming in this week so I will have a good chance to see what they can do. I also do like MF pads on my FLEX but they can be too thin for such a powerful machine you have to be careful.

As for wet sanding with it get an interface pad FOR SURE, and some Mirka or Meguiars papers.

dlc95
09-26-2018, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Does pad size matter? Pretty sure my current setup is 6" and I like how the equipment isn't so big and bulky. (I started off by using a 7 or 8" rotary.)

As far as your heavy cut, I read microfiber pads work the best. Any truth to this? How about wetsanding pads? Any thoughts on a specific brand?

What are your pad choices? I was thinking of just narrowing it down to three. Heavy cut, polish and wax..?

Final question... Do you all use paste or liquid LSP's (waxes/sealants)? If liquid, do you apply them by hand or by machine? What yields the best results?

Thank you all for your time and effort in responding!

For the forced rotation of the 3401 I would use wool.

Dr Oldz
09-26-2018, 04:11 PM
I apply all my LSPs by machine. Liquid or paste form. Best way to lay down a thin, uniform layer. By laying down a nice thin coat, any LSP is easier to remove verse hand application.

sudsmobile
09-26-2018, 06:43 PM
For wool, the Force Hybrid is available in a wool pad too which works quite well.

PaulMys
09-26-2018, 06:56 PM
I apply all my LSPs by machine. Liquid or paste form. Best way to lay down a thin, uniform layer. By laying down a nice thin coat, any LSP is easier to remove verse hand application.

Which LSP's do you prefer?

PaulMys
09-26-2018, 06:57 PM

I feel the opposite. Applying on large panels is one thing, but I can only save a a minute or two vs. hand application. (At best).

Setting the machine down and grabbing the hand applicator for tight spots (50 times) is not my cup of tea. And I do not like the idea of doing panels, then going back around to hit tight spots.

I can actually hand apply wax to my entire truck faster than machine applying, and in only one go-round.

As for the thin application, I have never had a problem applying it thin by hand. Nor have I ever had removal problems.

Just my opinion, and what works best for me.