PDA

View Full Version : Most Missed Area of Detailing

ScottB
03-14-2006, 11:03 AM
As we know in detailing, it is the art of cleaning and protecting "all" areas of the vehicle. That said, what is the single most often missed area in detailing that you miss or your detailer misses ??

Meghan
03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
I hate to see dirty wheel wells, car and wheels look great and then you catch a glimpse of the wheel well :mad:

bigron
03-14-2006, 03:49 PM
For me it's the tailpipes that people often miss. Chrome tailpipes should gleam like new.

98bmw323is
03-14-2006, 07:25 PM
any1 ever wax the door jambs? obviously not with an expensive wax though.

ASPHALT ROCKET
03-14-2006, 07:53 PM
for some reason i always miss the tailpipes on my c6. i always wax the doorjams with wax, i only use souveran.

cwcad
03-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Well I know I tend to do the wheel wells, tailpipes, and doorjams only on a periodic basis. I know I do it more than some but less than most that frequent this forum. But I do detail them non the less.

I believe only the hardcore detailers do engine compartment due to the fact that it is foreign territory for most people. I know that I am uncomfortable working on anything in the engine compartment.

That is why I chose the engine compartment.

pogo123
03-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Once you have the door jambs, trunk surrounds, and under the hood waxed, it becomes much easier to keep them clean with just a quick wipe down.

ScottB
03-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Im very surprised that no-one chose the front air-dam currently. Maybe its just that most drivers smack them against parking stones, because I see very few that are clean and dressed. Seen some actually missing though ...

MasterShineBoy
03-15-2006, 01:01 AM
I just got in my car and I noticed that my hinge area needs some love!

Mr. Clean
03-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Speaking of the general public, you could probably pick any or all of the above.

Speaking for myself, I would (and did) say/vote for tailpipes. Though I give them a wash, I rarely go back and give them a proper drying and/or polish. I only have one vehicle that has really nice chrome pipes (VW/NB/TurboS). For the NB, I'll give the underhood a wipedown occasionally (not every wash), but the Volvo receives no underhood attention. I know I should for the sake of my mechanic. :)

ScottB
03-16-2006, 12:15 AM
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167Vette_015.jpg

I asked the wifey to help polish the cans (mufflers), she told me to paint them black !!!! Well she also told me something else, but is was not quite PG rated :eek:

04mach1
03-16-2006, 11:15 PM
me being a hardcore mustang enthusiast the most overlooked spot on all the 79+ mustangs is the gas tank cover. I cant even begin to say how many times ive see a great looking clean mustang then you walk around back and you see a dirty gas tank hanging

5000XD
03-17-2006, 12:52 PM
You should have put a 7th option to choose from, 'All of the above'

PEI Detail
03-17-2006, 08:24 PM
You should have put a 7th option to choose from, 'All of the above'

Yeah!
In my own car I get to it, but hardly ever to customers pay me to do these things.
95% of the cars in this area have overdone undercoating and petroleum products sprayed int he wheel wells or all under the car. It's awful, with a dull grey bleeding everywhere.

Neothin
03-18-2006, 03:47 PM
the part that i consistently miss alot is the tailpipe. Why is beyond me, but it always seems that i dont notice it until i step back and look at the freshly detailed car and then ill see the black pipe.

underbody is also another area that isnt taken care of enough. I admit that right now my cars underside is looking a little dingy, but i put the car up on ramps and get under there every 2 months or so and it's about time for that.