PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for specific vehicles....

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sonic Pilot
09-24-2018, 01:19 AM
Do any of you professional detailers up-charge, or charge a different rate for work done on an "exotic" car like a Lambo, Ferrari, or perhaps a "showcar"?

There are certainly detailers that exclusively cater to this market I'm sure. But, I'm asking about the detailer who mostly does daily drivers.

There are 2 ways I suppose one could think about this. One is to say that what should it matter what kind of car you are detailing? The processes are the same right?

Another point of view is to say that these cars are extremely expensive, and a screw-up would also be extremely expensive to correct or repair. So, due to the additional risks, you adjust pricing accordingly. Ideally, there should be no screw-ups. However if one does occur, you could on the hook for some serious expenses. Does your business insurance account for this possibility?

Eldorado2k
09-24-2018, 03:41 AM
Do any of you professional detailers up-charge, or charge a different rate for work done on an "exotic" car like a Lambo, Ferrari, or perhaps a "showcar"?

There are certainly detailers that exclusively cater to this market I'm sure. But, I'm asking about the detailer who mostly does daily drivers.

There are 2 ways I suppose one could think about this. One is to say that what should it matter what kind of car you are detailing? The processes are the same right?

Another point of view is to say that these cars are extremely expensive, and a screw-up would also be extremely expensive to correct or repair. So, due to the additional risks, you adjust pricing accordingly. Ideally, there should be no screw-ups. However if one does occur, you could on the hook for some serious expenses. Does your business insurance account for this possibility?

Insurance isn’t going to cover any of your screw ups... As far as charging more for something exotic? Well you can think of it this way.. If a person can afford a 40’ RV that must’ve cost upwards of $100,000 thousand dollars, why should you be the one getting nickel & dimed if he thinks having it detailed or washed & maintained should suddenly be cheap to do? It costs thousands of dollars to properly maintain an RV the same way it does to maintain a Ferrari.

There’s generous rich folks out there, but for every one of them there’s the cheap ones who want to nickel & dime the part of maintaining their vehicles looking perfect. It boggles the mind.

You certainly aren’t out of line if you decide to charge more for basically the same job simply because it’s an exotic vehicle... You have to convince them on the value of your services. That’s the #1 goal and it’s not always as easy as it sounds because some rich people are surprisingly cheap. Don’t be the fall guy..

As far as daily drivers that can make you kind of nervous to maintain? Try a brand new 1 of these. It’s new, it’s big, it’s black, and it can be tedious to maintain because if you slip up and make a mistake oh boy there’s nowhere to hide. You have every right to charge more.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180924/4f188b4ecc9b3fd9ba186c76e80029e8.jpg

And if anyone ever brings you a Hummer, especially 1 with this ridiculous roof rack you should immediately hit them with a high price because there’s no way to properly detail it unless that stupid roof rack comes off. It took 2 ladders and 3 guys. And once you get it off you have to have the wingspan of Shaquille Oneil to reach the center of the roof! Lol.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180924/2f774d5014961d0dd7b94c6da4544ea5.jpg

Dan Tran
09-24-2018, 07:08 AM
I charge more for those kinds of vehicles. The reason is because, in my experience with dealing with these ones, the owners tend to be more pickier of what they are looking for.

There are more intricate areas to look out for also. Even going from Honda’s to Mercedes-Benz, I am more careful on the “leather” door panels etc.

Then jumping into classic cars, you are now taking more time because some parts are more scratch sensitive then modern cars.

So again, yes I charge more due to the time and process I personally use.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

dcjredline
09-24-2018, 12:44 PM
Id think an exotic while being "harder or more intricate" would generally already be cleaner than a DD would be. For ME its about the current condition and the time it will take me to get it to the point Im happy. The badge on the front has nothing to do with it. Ive not done anything real exotic yet just for full disclosure.

sudsmobile
09-24-2018, 03:23 PM
I don't. I think it's basically unfair to penalize somebody for being successful. Who are you, Robin Hood?

Calendyr
09-24-2018, 03:36 PM
To answer your question, I think it's a matter of time and product needed, not a matter of what you are working on. So would I upcharge someone because his car is a Ferrari? No. Would I upcharge him if he wants me to spend twice as long as I usually do doing the work? Absolutelly.

On a daily driver, I aim for about 90-95% perfection for most of the work I do. This allows me to have packages with pre-determined pricing. If I get there and there is a major issue I know will take a lot of time, I have a little wiggle room in my calculated time for each package for 1 issue on each vehicle. So if there is only one, I don't upcharge. If there is more than one, I ask the owner if he wants me to spend more time correcting the issue and cut down on less important aspect of the detail to make up the time, or if he prefers to pay an extra to fix the issue and have the rest done as I normally would.

You should have a clause in your contract that allows you to bill some extra over the estimate in case something you had not expected happens. I allow for 2 hours of extra work in the contract at 40$ per hour. I have not had to use it yet, I pretty much always spot the major issues when I inspect the vehicle and when I do miss something, it's usually quick to fix so I have not felt I needed to overcharge from the estimate price. But it's in there so I am covered if something goes wrong.

Sonic Pilot
09-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Some interesting comments so far. Keep 'em coming!

sudsmobile
09-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Did you read the question? LOL

Sonic Pilot
09-24-2018, 04:35 PM
At the moment, I am of the opinion (and this could change) that one should not be charged more simply because they have an expensive car. Unless that particular car requires some unique or special skill, service or products not typical for most other detailing jobs. Or, if the customer requests some additional or unique services.

RTexasF
09-24-2018, 05:37 PM
At the moment, I am of the opinion (and this could change) that one should not be charged more simply because they have an expensive car. Unless that particular car requires some unique or special skill, service or products not typical for most other detailing jobs. Or, if the customer requests some additional or unique services.

True for the most part. I had a Range Rover to deal with one time that had every type of grill guard, light guards, tail light guards, every type of African jungle protection that existed. This thing never even saw a muddy road but those areas were all but impossible to reach. Due to that and the time involved I charged them a Princely sum and they paid it. No guilt here friend, it was bugger to work on.

Sonic Pilot
09-24-2018, 05:50 PM
True for the most part. I had a Range Rover to deal with one time that had every type of grill guard, light guards, tail light guards, every type of African jungle protection that existed. This thing never even saw a muddy road but those areas were all but impossible to reach. Due to that and the time involved I charged them a Princely sum and they paid it. No guilt here friend, it was bugger to work on.

That is perfectly justified! This particular vehicle required "particular" attention and significantly more time and effort. Totally makes sense. So long as the client is advised, this is absolutely and understandably justified. That would go for any vehicle that requires such attention.

The point in my original question was meant to be "is there any justification to up-charging exotic vehicles, and if so why?"

One could most certainly up-charge anytime there is additional work required beyond what the standard service provides. But that goes for any vehicle and is not exclusive to exotic cars. At least that's what I am thinking at this point.

I think the same could be said for "Show-Cars". If your standard services meet the needs of the client, then that's what they should receive and be billed for. If this type of client is demanding some sort of special or unique services, then the rate charged needs to be commensurate with the services.

On the other hand, there may be a significant difference in pricing if the detailer has achieved a certain reputation for his quality of work. His reputation and local market forces will dictate what he can charge, and the sky is the limit in some cases I would imagine!

Calendyr
09-24-2018, 11:19 PM
You can charge what ever you want. The client will decide if he wants to pay it or not. If you feel that working on an exotic car requires a surcharge because of the cost that would occur if you damage something, that is your decision. As for your base price, that is entirelly dependant on your market and your clientele. If you are so busy you have to turn away work, then for sure, raise your prices. For me, what the car is makes no difference. Of course it is more fun to work on nice cars but in terms of price, I don't see a reason to charge more.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-25-2018, 01:40 AM
Interesting topic... While it is true that some would say, paint is paint. leather is leather (except for MB Tech)... I view it as yes, the exotic will be more expensive than a Camry for a whole HOST of reasons beyond the car alone. As Dan Tran pointed out, more intricate angles and more detail... i.e. But I think the cost comes into time, competence, confidence and where your business model is at.

There are more specialized tools required, and somewhat higher skill level. If the vehicle has air inlets that run through the doors or quarter panels feeding into the engine bay (rear/mid engine) you will definitely need a small tool and small pads to get those areas, such as the Rupes iBrid Nano, pads, and Rupes Creams. But know enough of what you can safely get and not safely get.

Mid engine vehicles show off their prowess as a crown jewel through some kind of glass... You have to make sure that area is in show-car ready condition.

I don't view the typical C300, E430, BMW5 Series or Ghibli etc as anything different than a really nice, typical daily driver, thus I don't think that's what your asking here. I'm assuming your asking about Ferrari's, Lambo's, Porsche's... Then yes, if you have reached the level where that is your clientele, you are probably no longer charging the rates you normally would for a 2004 PT Cruiser. Remember some of these cars are only number "x" of so many made. These types of cars are going up in value as demand increases.

At this point of your detail business, if you're doing super cars, you've set prescience, probably work by referral, and are competent, confident and highly knowledgeable about the paint systems on these vehicles and what works best. You probably have a reputation that precedes you from dealers and traders in these exotics.

Typically this won't be a wash-n-wax special.. There will be correction, coatings, possible off wheel polishing and coatings. Maybe the owner is taking it to a concourse?
And don't forget, low number, low mileage super-cars aren't all about being driven. Sometimes it's just to hold onto until the demand goes through the roof, then it's auction time. So the owner will be looking for something more than "curb appeal."

Yeah, when you add all the factors up... as you can see, it's more than just "the car." it becomes the fact that YOU are the "trusted resource" to handle that vehicle and deliver what the client, and potential future owners of that vehicle expect.

Sonic Pilot
09-25-2018, 02:17 AM
Interesting topic... While it is true that some would say, paint is paint. leather is leather (except for MB Tech)... I view it as yes, the exotic will be more expensive than a Camry for a whole HOST of reasons beyond the car alone. As Dan Tran pointed out, more intricate angles and more detail... i.e. But I think the cost comes into time, competence, confidence and where your business model is at.

There are more specialized tools required, and somewhat higher skill level. If the vehicle has air inlets that run through the doors or quarter panels feeding into the engine bay (rear/mid engine) you will definitely need a small tool and small pads to get those areas, such as the Rupes iBrid Nano, pads, and Rupes Creams. But know enough of what you can safely get and not safely get.

Mid engine vehicles show off their prowess as a crown jewel through some kind of glass... You have to make sure that area is in show-car ready condition.

I don't view the typical C300, E430, BMW5 Series or Ghibli etc as anything different than a really nice, typical daily driver, thus I don't think that's what your asking here. I'm assuming your asking about Ferrari's, Lambo's, Porsche's... Then yes, if you have reached the level where that is your clientele, you are probably no longer charging the rates you normally would for a 2004 PT Cruiser. Remember some of these cars are only number "x" of so many made. These types of cars are going up in value as demand increases.

At this point of your detail business, if you're doing super cars, you've set prescience, probably work by referral, and are competent, confident and highly knowledgeable about the paint systems on these vehicles and what works best. You probably have a reputation that precedes you from dealers and traders in these exotics.

Typically this won't be a wash-n-wax special.. There will be correction, coatings, possible off wheel polishing and coatings. Maybe the owner is taking it to a concourse?
And don't forget, low number, low mileage super-cars aren't all about being driven. Sometimes it's just to hold onto until the demand goes through the roof, then it's auction time. So the owner will be looking for something more than "curb appeal."

Yeah, when you add all the factors up... as you can see, it's more than just "the car." it becomes the fact that YOU are the "trusted resource" to handle that vehicle and deliver what the client, and potential future owners of that vehicle expect.

Wow, that really puts things into perspective for me. Yea, I now can see where it may be justified to charge a premium for the kind of service required on one of these exotics. That totally helped, thanks!

Dan Tran
09-25-2018, 06:14 AM

That’s everything I wanted to say in a nutshell. Thanks Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)